Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Suspension Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:06 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Advice

I am shopping for a lift kit and so far I like the Superlift 6" lift kit. I have read thead after thread about lift kits and I have shopped and looked at just about all of them.
My main concern is quality and the lift kits ability to properly align the suspensions geometry back up. Most of the kits out there are basicly the same + or - a few components. There are either kits with spring spacers and kits with replacement coil springs. Some kits have new sway bar links, some don't. Some have spacers to drop the tranny, some don't.
Since I don't do any real off road driving ( no I don't consider a romp in the mud off roading ), I don't need a "performance" kit. And most of the "off the shelf" lift kits are mainly for show, get it up there and look pretty kits. And thats fine for me but I don't want to start replacing ball joints, U-joints, tires, tie rods, ect every 10k miles.
It seems to be a 50/50 split on people opinions on lifting these trucks. Some say its great and they have no problems and some say that they have nothing but problems.
Another thing I am worried about it drivline problems I may not be aware of till it's too late. I know you can have driveline vibrations or strains that you may not be able to feel but can cause major damage down the road. But even though I know what I want and know the basics of lifting a truck, I still don't know what kits are good and which ones are junk.
here are my thoughts on the top selling kits out there.

Topguncustomz kits-= Cheapest out of all of them but does not come with sway bar links or tranny spacers and shocks are exrta $1100 with bistien shocks and shipping.

Fabtech-= About the same price as Superlift but has pretty much the same components as the Topguncustomz kit. I really don't see anything to justify the extra few hundred $$ price in the $1400's for same kit.

Superlift-= comes with tranny drop spacers and new swaybar links priced about the same as fabtech

Skyjacker-= looks like a Fabtech kit with yellow boots and same components. $1500

What I really need to know is what combonation of components do I need to run a lift without slowly damaging the rest of the truck? Do I need the tranny spacers? What about the new swaybar links? Is the a kit that comes with some other state of the art components that give better ride quallity and handleing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
I want a good kit and I want to do it right the first time but I don't want to spend an arm and leg doing it.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 AM
gdwrnch33
Default RE: Suspension Advise

If i went 6" my biggist concern would be the front drive saft since it turns all the time. Would be nice if dodge put lock out hubs on the front. I wound use one of those plates that index the transfer case. It turns it down so the front drive saft will be more strait. The rear will be fine. As far as your front end it will be ok if you can find someone who knows what they"er doing to line it. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:52 AM
sanddragonslayer
Rookie

well Buzzy, I have the Fab-tech 6" kit. and I have almost 4000 miles on it with 37 inch bfg's. I only paid $1000 INSTALLED, here local in socal. And it has the coils, and arms, W/ grease zerks. it has longer arms,( and there billet aluminum )for the sway bar. so that it stays tucked up against the frame. Longer bumpstops in the front. Hydro shocks all around. and in the rear I had a choice between 4" and 5" blocks, and I went with 4 and I spent an extra twenty bucks and went down to the truck supply place and got some heavy duty U- bolts. It came with the tranny spacer and it drops the trans 1.5" ( mine was on backorder) so when it came it went under the back seat!!!Also it came with a carrier bearing drop kit for the rear driveline. Still no problems still love it. The shop that I used also threw in a double steering stabilizer for making me wait a little extra...

just do your research, and make sure before you buy...

Old 02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
beachmstr

where did you get that smoking deal? I might have to look them up

Old 02-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Little Foot
Veteran

I have a 6" superlift suspension kit running 35's. This lift wears fine on the road I have had no adverse road issues with this kit. However I have received confirmation that my 8" rize industries lift is on route from San Diego tonight should get it in the morning. So the superlift will be retired from my truck for the "Rize".

Old 02-10-2008, 10:04 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I have the "Superlift" 6" lift, looked at the Fabtech and Procomp systems thought some of the parts looked a little on the weak side especially the Procomp drop bracket for the trac bar. The shop I purchased my lift also threw a double steering stablizer. I also purchased from DSS, their steering stablizer and adjustable trac bar, the latter being a necessary item! As anyone knows when one lifts a dodge either with a simple leveling kit to a "lift" kit it pulls the front axel over center towards driver side. A major concern or difference is the handling of a lifted truck without some trial and error you will notice a fair amount of "bump steering" not the "death wobble" but a feeling of the front wanting to wander, like the front end is too light. Have the caster, camber and toe adjusted. If your doing alot of towing an slightly more positive camber helps. Also once you have lift installed take advantage of the shop and do go back for re-torquing!! I did notice after a few 1k km I had a noticable vibration, back to the shop to have things checked out, torque valves were checked along with drive shafts and U-joints and the other usual suspects (ball joints tie rods ect) found all good. So I went back to my shop pulled the tires off reinstalled oem rims with old tires on a vibration almost gone (old tires were old Procomp AT that have next to no thread on em) I do have a set of 35x13.5x20 Dic Cepek FCII on order, hope this solves the problem. ( the set of tires I have on currently have some belt issues as I had swaped front to back and thats when I noticed the vibrations, since have swaped back to front again, vibration still there only not as bad! hence new skins on the way and at dealer pricing too!! )

Next upgrade is swapin gears 4.10 or 4.56s and then I can go to 37" tires which will help in the towing department!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Thanks for the info so far guys. I am still up in the air on whick lift to go with. I went and checked out the 8" Rize lift and it looks to be a very well designed lift but it's pricy at $2700.
Whatever I go with, the wife is going to flip out!! I told her I am lifting it just a couple of inches.....lol

Old 02-10-2008, 10:51 PM
G0tMudd
Veteran

Anything over 6" u will be paying alot for. And going anything over really 6" is expensive b/c u have to usuly have drive shafts and all that **** done, track bars etc etc stearing box and so on. Now i dont have a 2500, but i'm rockin a 5'5 *true* fabtech lift. Now there is 50K miles on this lift i know how it rides. This truck use to be wheeled alot and the lift is hella strong. After all that was done i have had to replace 1 coil and 1 leave spring. Now this used to be wheeled alot etc. Over all the ride is very nice and hella strong. Also remember u can buy the lift kit but also buy differnt **** as u go long. Want strong shocks? well buy better oones and stick it in. If you wanna be hella picky put togeather ur own lift.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Redram05baby

Sanddraggon: You Paid 1000 Installed? Thats Almost Too Good To Be True. Did You Know Them or Did You Just Walk In - And That Was The Price They Gave You (Before They Made You Wait)?

Quick Reply: Suspension Advice