Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Suncoast vs. Others

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Aero Ram
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suncoast vs. Others

Suncoast here told me $6000 he'd do tq. conv,trans, Input shaft, vavle body everything basically, said it'd hold bout anything I wanna run to it...

Well I went back the other day and said I want to be able to safely run my smarty on 100hp setting safely full time. He recommended Tq. Conv, billet input shaft, and valve body for a total of $2523.

Do these upgrades sound appropriate and the cost installed and all reasonable?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:30 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Default RE: Suncoast vs. Others

Sounds about right to me. T/C runs anywhere from $1100 to $1400 depending on brand and V/B runs from $400 to $600. Add another $500 to $800 for labor and that puts you about right.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
smoke

they told me the same (suncoast) i was in there the other day and talked to them about a upgraded torque converter.... they wanted me to do 6K worth of work that i dont need but i didnt tell them that

Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Aero Ram
All Star

Hey smoke your profile says FWB FL. Got any pics of your truck maybe I've seen you around...maybe you've seen me? Maybe you should go to that Outlaw diesel thing in Fountain with us its only 90 miles out east...

Familiar or no? I'm usually by base or out by navarre but in FWB several times a week still....

Name:  02-26-08_1101.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  46.9 KB

Old 02-29-2008, 12:25 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Aero Ram

Suncoast here told me $6000 he'd do tq. conv,trans, Input shaft, vavle body everything basically, said it'd hold bout anything I wanna run to it...

Well I went back the other day and said I want to be able to safely run my smarty on 100hp setting safely full time. He recommended Tq. Conv, billet input shaft, and valve body for a total of $2523.

Do these upgrades sound appropriate and the cost installed and all reasonable?
Just my 2 cents, nothing more.....

I have a 95, and although our trannys are slightly different, I believe that many features are the same.

I went with ATS on a lot of products. I'm not endorsing them, just saying I have had outstanding performance with their stuff. It's just another company to look at, is all.

If you are going to spend $6000 for a tranny, make sure of a few things that I learned about when I did mine.

1. If you are going to run higher hp, you MUST consider replacing the flexplate. (flywheel) Here are a few pics of mine that I just replaced. My motor is dialed up, my tc, tranny and driveline is rugged as well with rebuilds and aftermarket parts. I never knew about the flexplates breaking untill I read an article. My scenario was just what the article said. "Guys do tranny and engine enhancements. No one ever thinks about their flexplate."

It's true for me....lol. When it broke, I thought my engine was all done. Time for a rebuild. Nope, it was just the flexplate and tranny adapter plate that had fractured.

Anyway, that plate is certainly something to consider.

2. Make sure your new valve body will let you:

a: circulate in park.
b: allow tc lockup in 1st AND 2nd gear. (This may already be a feature, or something programmable on a new tranny? I'm not that familiar with the new, NEW stuff...lol)

3. If you are going to beef up just a few parts, better to do them all. The piece that breaks will more than likely be the part you didn't replace. I know $6000 seems like a lot but, piece of mind comes with that. Front to back it sounds like a good deal. Just ask about upgraded seals too. I have a Transgo kit. You wouldn't want to do some upgrades and not change clutch paks. There is much better stuff out there these days.

Are you an exhaust break guy? You'd want a lockup controller added to that package. Once that tc is locked, your good to go. Full engine power is transmitted, full exhaust breaking is gained, and much longer tc life is gained not to mention the tranny fluid will be MUCH cooler. Add an extenal tranny cooler and you've got a pullin machine now. You'll twist a shaft or snap a joint before that tranny ever goes bad. Fluid changes are the key. My tranny rarely gets above 160 in the summer time. I just added the ATS Commander controller. My tranny hasn't been above 140 since I installed it. At 140 degrees, ATF theoretically has infinite life.

Ask most of the guys here. I abuse my truck like you would abuse Mayfair if you ever saw him in person........lol.

My truck is TOUGH............lol.

Anyway, just some stuff to consider. I'm no authority. I'm just a huge Ram fan.

Good luck with your ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/90F600839EFA4BA99CEF2DB275B3DD5C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/0A3E3D42545C4EE5B7DCD579A605A94A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/B930E677D02F456A9F9AB4CB3610F23F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/65C83E4FAA3541F18B365C5A4F593031.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Dallas192
Professional

Hey DD, what flexplate you recommend..have the tranny out now. Rebuilding it myself with the help of PATC and the triple disc converter....eventually I will be putting in a brake and next on the list is a lockup controller...tranny so far looks good with 197000 on the clock, just the front band I have found damaged. pulled the trans just in time....really dont feel like spending 400 for a flexplate.... but ..........Dallas

Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

This is what I was considering doing https://www.shopatron.com/product/pa...109.2114.20110though I'm not entirely sure what it is capable of handling, power wise. $3000 after core rebate.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Bigriver

About a year ago, I began thinking about upgrading my transmission. I really wasn't having any trouble at the time, but due to the distances I wanted to tow a heavy 5'ver, and some future modifications, I decided that it was the right time to crack the biggest problem first.

I spoke to Suncoast and ATS both about my thoughts. I also considered Goerand's, but due to their distance away from me, I ruled them out. Both Suncoast and ATS reccomended the total overhaul.
Suncoast is being inf FL, wasn't that far to travel from New Orleans, and ATS has numerous dealers through out the country. Found one in Meridan MS, about three hours away.

Suncoast had the same price as earlier posted by Aero Ram, around 6k. ATS had a slightly higher price, but included more. One.....the flex plate was everything DieselDemon described it was and more. Also the T/C controller for inside the cab was included. Also, the T/C itself was the most massive converter I've ever seen. Really impressive. ATS boasts their T/C's as having 5 disc's inside. Dollar for dollar, I found the ATS to offer more for the buck. I ended up going with the ATS. It is likely more than I really needed, but nothing wrong with attending to a possible problem before it gets bad, and at my own convienence. As an after thought.....Gary, up at Meridian Fuel Injection, where my job was done cut me some slack due to some other work being done, and also his low overhead. If you're serious about talking to him, his number is 601-693-4643. Tell him Walt sent ya.

To date I haven't had any serious issues with the ATS, with the exception of a code being thrown every once in awhile. Not a big issue, the computer recconizes the T/C slippage factor out of it's parameters of acceptance. A stock T/C slips to a degree that the computer is set for. The ATS T/C is more effecient and slips less. Thus a code for the transmission is thrown, but I simply clear it with th e Edge Attitude unit I have.

No real regrets, I'd walk the same road if I had to do it again. Spent some big bucks on it, but it's one of my least worries now.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:06 AM
behindbars

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

No real regrets, I'd walk the same road if I had to do it again. Spent some big bucks on it, but it's one of my least worries now.
Mayfair will appreciate it.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Thanks Bigriver, I have looked into ATS. I'll pry give that number a call and see if I can get some good advice to compare to Suncoast. Cost is a big factor for me, but I also don't want to do this all over again either. Then again I don't tow a whole lot at the momment but that may change in the future too. I want to run my smarty jr on 100hp setting which is its max. but whose to say I won't upgrade... I got some real thinking to do!

Quick Reply: Suncoast vs. Others