Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

FCA or EFC...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
SpLaT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FCA or EFC...

Well finally, after fighting DC for over a year ( "cannot replicate symptom"...crap got real old fast... even showing them a print out of the TSB concerning the very issue!!) about my rough idle, surge, lack of power, black/white smoke at start up, hard startsand annoying injector rattle. [:@]
I finally changed out the FCA (fuel control actuator)or as DC calls it EFC (electronic fuel control). I now having a smooth running cummins!! No injector rattle, no smoke at start up, no rough idle,
now waiting till morning for a "cold" start that will be the true test. If not got a local guy, will rebuild my sticks for $100.00 each far cry for the average going price of new sticks of $700.00 cnd!! I did remove programmer and went back to stock program till tomorrow morning, if she runs good in the morn, then programmer goes back in... missing the extra go...[8D] I was suppose to have a FASS on Monday but when it came time to pick it up,dealer wanted $900.00 cnd for it, told him to keep it!! Looking at maybe the AirDog few hundred$ cheaper. Now I did notice that my CP3 pump is leaking!!! Not sure where its coming from? Not interested in going to the dealer for warranty, as I've heard "some leakage is acceptable", BS!! leaks should not be acceptable at any level!! (that should keep the tree huggers happy! ) So now I'm on the hunt for a "O-ring kit as I understand the oem (Bosch)O-rings kinda shrink!?

Oh yeah a little OT... but another reason why I drive a truck and support Oil producers... WARNING GRAFFIC pictures...

[IMG]local://upfiles/36650/CAE71982C9894DC7883CD108A02925F6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36650/09E569CFE1B1468D93083996B0B7CF5E.jpg[/IMG]

I have more photos of the accident, but due to some very graffic pictures I have only posted these, as there was more then just the SMART car they pulled out of that larger truck!! []If interested pm me and I'll send the rest.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Default RE: FCA or EFC...

Good luck in the morning...

That is the same reason I drive a full size truck with a full size steel frame.... I feel completely unsafe in low, small, unibody junk

Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I saw those pics before. That crash is NASTY !!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
burban2002
Veteran

Man just about the only thing that wasn't bent was the rear license plate. Yikes

Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 AM
justviper1
Veteran

i love my airdog and it works great! they were on sale for $499.99. im not sure if they are still running the special or not. it is well worth the money! i had a major increase in power and about a 1-2 mpg increase.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Splat, what probelms exactly were you having, and did they include missing (skipping) at idle? I have had some of the same issues you list and they have just replaced all 6 sticks under warranty and the probelm has returned. I checked for chaffed wires and water in the fuel last night and everything there looks good. Also were your problems intermittant or constant? Did you have a good cold start today? Thanks.

Nick

Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Man just about the only thing that wasn't bent was the rear license plate. Yikes
The rear tires still look good.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

That crash was posted in the Off Topic forum, and that isnt a smart car. But, that crash was nasty indeed, if I had known what it was, I would never have looked at it[:'(]

Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 PM
SpLaT
Captain

NickBeek,

rough idle, surge, lack of power, black/white smoke at start up, hard startsand annoying injector rattle. [:@]
Conditions are worse with cooler ambient tempatures. I did start up that morning sounded tenfold better!! Although I did get a puff of black smoke, very small puff! no white smoke, no rattle, no roughand no surge!! (rough idle-akin to a gasser with a racing cam in her) But I do have her set back to stock program... afraid to reprogram it with the Diablo ( seems atleast at the diablo forum there is a large group having issues with the 7130 programmer, alot of the users with the 7130 and 7131 are having issues with surging at with the cruise control on and when cruising down hill... engine surges!!).

Looking seriously at the Smarty jr., problem is no one in my neck of the woods sells em! I can get hypertech, diablo, superchips and Edge. Although the Edge-EZ would be my second choice over the Smarty jr, it all depends if the stealer can recalibrate my speedo for the 35" tires, if they can I'll get the Edge, if not I guess I gotta pay the GST tax and import duty and get the Smarty!

Speaking of Stealers, I went to 4 different ones to get the FCA prices ranged from $400.00 to $125.00 cnd, 3 out of the 4 asked for my vin #!! Also talked to each service dept about recal speedo 2 of the 4 said " DC has taken some of our programming away from us ... we can't do it" WTF!! Going in this Monday to get recal... might just get them to do a "re-flash" will have to bite the bullet on the "out of park alarm", thats going to be real annoying. I went to the Cummins dealer in town and I was told if I had an 03 and older they could help me, as of now DC hasn't given them the programming for 04 and up!?

So, as it stands, I still may have not cured the problems with the idle,surge ect ect... but with my next days off (love working 2 weeks on and 3 weeks off gives plenty of time toget stuff done). While at work this shift I'll order up the AirDog, hopefully it'll arrive just as I start my next days off! So next month with my truck down, while sticks get done I'll install the fuel system (thought about pullin the box off but got cross over tool box and wood bed liner, so I'll be droping the tank instead ).

Old 03-08-2008, 09:57 AM
lesimon
Professional

Hey SpLat I just had the dealer replace my CP3 injection pump and it was just wet not actually leaking to the point that it was leaving puddles. I would recommend trying to have it replaced under warranty. The Local dealer has actually been really good about warranty work. They have replaced all four ball joints, rear drive shaft universal, front axle seals, and CP3 injection pump with no questions/arguements. Good luck with everything.