Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How to fill up tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:11 PM
stevew
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fill up tank?

This is a serious question Mayfair....I have always hand calculated my milage but it will only take about 27 gallons after the dummy light comes on, I try too shoot a little extra in , but I know the nozzle is big enough to probably hold 2 or 3 gallons. Plus you have to account for the fuel vent and exspansion. Are you guys and gals filling all the way to the top?

Thanks,

Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: How to fill up tank?

LOL ... why are you singling ME out ???

I can be serious

WhenI get fuel, I don't fill it up, THESE guy's do it for me

And let me tell you, they're squeezing every drop in that it'll hold.

Keep in mind though that the light comes on when you are about 5 gallons away from dead. Something like that, so you are close.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Aruba1
Rookie

Liberty CRD forum says nevercontinue addingdieselpass the first click when the lever releases. Someone will ask "WHY". Anyone has that answer?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
RamItOne

hey man you dont have to bottom out your tank, lets say you fill er up, then clock 350 miles when you hit lets say a 1/4 tank and you fill it back up, all you need to do is take the number of miles you went by the number of gallons you just pumped in the truck

you were asking about how to calc fuel econ right?

if youre just concerned about why not more than the first click, its for hot and sunny climates, youre truck is roasting in the parkinglot thus expanding the gasses.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

over filling fuel tank may cause:

level indicator (float) to malfunction and not give correct fuel levels after floating too high

you may spill fuel out the filler cap or leak out the neck while driving

you may have a splash back while over filling the tank causing you, the vehicle, and the area to become washed with fuel

the vents are meant to vent the excess pressure from warmed (expanded) fuel.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

All of those things just listed and more are true for gasoline powered vehicles including damage to the emissions system, but diesel does not expand as much as gas. I fill mine to the tipy top every time I fill it. It is a long and painfull experience though. After the pump shuts off I can get a full 5 gallons more in the tank if I pump it really slowly and stop every so often to let the foam go down. I do this until there is fuel and no foam all the way up to the top of the filler neck and it doesn't go down any more. I usually try to fill when I get down to 1/4 of a tank. If you have the in tank lift pump, it is designed to be cooled by the fuel around it. If you run it completely empty there is no fuel to cool the pump.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

All of those things just listed and more are true for gasoline powered vehicles including damage to the emissions system, but diesel does not expand as much as gas.
Oh yes it does. I filled my 90 gallon tank in the bed up to the tippy top drove the truck 1 mile and parked it in the hot GA sun for about 2 hours. I got called over the PA system at the arena, they saidthat my truck was leaking fuel all over the parking lot. Sure enough it was! Not only was it leaking, but enough pressure to push the fuel through the fill cap at the top! I drove it over to the shade and left it there until dark. When it cooled off there was about 1 inch of diesel missing out of the tank. That is a little less than 5 gallons that leaked out over the top. Not to mention the pissed off arena manager who had diesel all over the parking lot.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

All of those things just listed and more are true for gasoline powered vehicles including damage to the emissions system, but diesel does not expand as much as gas.
Oh yes it does. I filled my 90 gallon tank in the bed up to the tippy top drove the truck 1 mile and parked it in the hot GA sun for about 2 hours. I got called over the PA system at the arena, they saidthat my truck was leaking fuel all over the parking lot. Sure enough it was! Not only was it leaking, but enough pressure to push the fuel through the fill cap at the top! I drove it over to the shade and left it there until dark. When it cooled off there was about 1 inch of diesel missing out of the tank. That is a little less than 5 gallons that leaked out over the top. Not to mention the pissed off arena manager who had diesel all over the parking lot.

with the price of diesel you should have charged him for keeping it lol

now before yall say well thatll effect a lil gasser like yours but we've got the torque. i dont know the numbers but weights obviously affects MPG a bit, so with an extra 50 gal tank and gas bein 7 pounds a gal thats an extra 350 pounds youre carrying around with you that actually is having an impact on your mpg. and from what ive seen of texas diesel owners theyre already pushing 300 pounds just by themselves. hey even if its .5 mpg that still counts........

Old 03-30-2008, 10:04 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran

When I'm filling up I lock the trigger in the slowest position to reduce the amount of foaming the nozzle and filling can create.

Then I've check several times when my LOW FUEL light comes on I've got 12 gallons remaining... At a average of 17 MPG times 12 Gallons works out to roughly 204 miles of fuel left. For the total tank 595 miles total.

But normally I just round up to the nearest full dollar and quit... This allows for expansion of the fuel... Yes I've be called out on a diesel fuel spill in Riggins, ID where a guy topped the tank then parked on the street in 115*F weather and he lost nearly 5-8 gallons from the expansion... He also got charged $800 by the our fire dept for the clean of the diesel fuel... Not worth it to top the tank... [:-]

Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 AM
stevew
Professional

Very good points from you guys, I would only differ from one suggestion. I dont belive that filling the truck until the clicker kicks the pump will always be the same. I guess it will get you some what close, but the foam caused by the high flow nozzles, like a truck stop are going to kick it of sooner than those little city stations with lower pressure. You cant calculate with out having a constant variable for your math. So the clicker will get you some what close but thats all.

Quick Reply: How to fill up tank?