Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

NEED HELP, trucks in the shop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 PM
austin
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP, trucks in the shop!

Well after my truck being in the dealership for 3 days now here is what they said.

" sand in the fuel tank. transfer pump is shot. Fuel rod needs to be replaced(wtf is a fuel rod?). The tranny fluid needs to be changed and might have water in it. Tranfer case, and diffs need to have their fluid changed(which is normal at 65000 miles)"

GEEZE!! My truck ran perfect before goodyear had it... and I had this dealership do a 150 point inspection before I bought the truck and everything was perfect.

What is a fuel rod? and how exactly can sand get in the fuel tank? Must be the previous owner because I haven't gone through any sand at all.

Thanks!
Austin

Old 04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: NEED HELP, trucks in the shop!

How the hell do you get sand in the fuel tank?? What was the truck doing when you took it in?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:31 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

I sense foul play Batman... Does your gas cap lock?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Sounds like someone is getting hosed

At what point is your Pop gonna step in and take the reigns of this monster. This tale of woes is spinning out of control.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Did the previous owner know that our trucks run on fuel, oil and bio? Not sand!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your truck is able to run. . .get it now and take it somewhere else. . .you walk in and they are seeing dollar signs

Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
burban2002
Veteran

I thought you trusted this dealer? Maybe back to goodyear!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
austin
Veteran

Well finally got to talk to the guy in person, and see my truck. Yes, I do trust this dealership. I have been with them for 2 years and they have yet to screw me over. I was just really nervous this time around...

The fuel pump is bad now. If yall recall the ranch hand was dented in the front pretty good, that jar shortened the life of it a lot. They are relocating the fuel pump into the gas tank so basicly I wont have to worry about the fuel pump for a long time he said! Every 03-05 Ram that has the fuel pump mounted the engine they are relocating when it goes bad. They are not charging me for labor on that either. Fuel pump is $1100 though...

The "fuel rod" is sticking apparently... you will read why in a minute. I noticed on my truck when I go mudding the engine doesn't really want to slow down in the RPMs. Since it was sticking the RPMs would stay up a little bit longer than they should. Not that much of a problem, yet, but I decided to get it fixed up anyway.

THE CAUSE OF ALL THESE PROBLEMS: City diesel. I always fill up in Coppell(city where I live, outside of Dallas) When I get back from Oklahoma every week. Coppell doesn't have many diesel trucks at all! So they fuel sits in those tanks for a long time. I go there because it is about 15 cents cheaper than everywhere else.
So, that is where all the grime came from. The tech recommended filling up on the way to OK at a truck stop, since they get new fuel a lot often than my city does. Thus, less contaminated.

They said they see this quite often on the trucks they have. People who fill up in the city get all the bad crap at the bottom of the tank. The 6.7L get it often here with all there high tech crap they got on it.

The computer was messed up because the chip that is on the truck is only water resistant. It dried out, and the computer went back to normal. The dealer is going to clear all the codes, free of charge. If no codes pop back up then I am in the clear! I will seal the chip up with RTV sealent this weekend.

So ending the story, it wasn't good years fault. It wasn't my fault either, or going mudding(to an extent I think ) Things like this just happen it seems. I see it on the forum often also, so I know it isn't just me that had this luck. Total cost is $2300 and the truck will be ready tomorrow(friday). Yeah that cost sucks... But knowing my truck is reliable, and having a free warrenty on everything they did the past couple of days, is worth it IMO.

I talked to Goodyear. They quoted me over $3000 to do everything that the dealership is doing. The dealer is cutting me $300 off the price(they are not charging me labor on A LOT of things), and they are going the extra mile with giving me a free 30 day warrenty on all their parts they replaced, and relocating the fuel filter. So to me I got a good deal. My dad agreed to split the cost with me, as long as he can bug me for buying a used truck [:@]( I hate when he does that! haha)

Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's not the fuel rod. . .it is the FCA(Fuel Control Acutor) it lives on the back of the CP3 and controlls the rate of fuel flowing through it to the fuel rail

also, I steer clear of the mom and pop stores for diesel all that I can. they dont have a high turn over and crud will get in the tank.

and the last thing, believe it or not, the intank pump is the same POS Carter pump that is mounted on the back side of the filter, only in a different houseing so it will go in the tank. Mine is still working, amazing enough, but I do know it will get replaced with something much better.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 AM
austin
Veteran

Well my truck has been in the shop all week. I NEED it this weekend. If it was up to me I would have gotten an aftermarket pump. Since I just needed it out of the shop, and don't plan on having this truck for over 200,000 miles I think I will be ok. The only power upgrade I am going to put is the Edge... So stock will be fine

I am picking the truck up today. I will let yall know how it goes!

Quick Reply: NEED HELP, trucks in the shop!