Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
Edge Juice (monitor)
16.00%
Smarty Sr - + gauges
40.00%
Smarty Jr - + gauges
12.00%
Edge Attitude
32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Which Diesel Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 AM
campermama
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Diesel Tuner?

My truck is a stick shift, 5 speed, will the Edge still work with this??

Old 04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ANY box should work on either a stick or automatic. A lot of guy's here are also running sticks.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
campermama
Professional

I am really leaning towards the Edge w the monitor, just for the safety features, and ease of installation. I am just looking for an improvement on power after putting on the bigger tires, not to do any racing or anything like that. So I think this will be good for me.
One question for those of you that have installed an Edge, how hard is it to drill the manifold for the monitor? That is my only concern, any advice? Also, wouldn't the dealer see this if I brought it in for some reason? Plugging in all the wires seems to be easy enough.
Thanks!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'm pretty sure Rich did a DIY in that section up top including pics of how to drill the manifold.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I voted Smarty jr. very safe and will provide decent mileage...unless you really want to load up the camper and set that Smarty sr. on "grab handle and hang-on" setting to race vettes, you'll need to upgrade clutch at the minimum!

Next choice would be the Edge EZ also has safety built in, but smarty jr. cheaper and better all around.

All depends if ya want speed and an excuse to spend more money beefing up the rest of the truck to handle all those settings on the sr., or you want reliable power and mileage gains and not have to worry about upgrading tranny/clutches?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
campermama
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I'm pretty sure Rich did a DIY in that section up top including pics of how to drill the manifold.

Oh! Please point me to that! That woulds be great! Thanks!!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
campermama
Professional

ORIGINAL: SpLaT
or you want reliable power and mileage gains and not have to worry about upgrading tranny/clutches?
This is all I want, so would the Edge be ok for me?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Mayfair
Legend

It wasn't there, but luckily I saved it elsewhere.

Here ya go ... you owe Rich ( I think it was him ) a cold one

[/align]Soooo, I've been a little concerned as to how much crud actually get's into the exhaust when you drill and tap for the pyro.

So I did a little experiment, just to ease the nerves and here is what I found.

I used several pieces of angle iron, in various thicknesses, to simulate different spots on the manifold.

Drilling the pilot hole with 1/8" bit

Low Speed Drilling:

1 - Using a new, VERY sharp bit at low speed produced larger pieces and also some spiral fragments. These spiral fragments came up and out with the bit.

High Speed Drilling:

1 - Again, a new, sharp bit, but at high speed and VERY LOW pressure produced nearly NO bits or spirals. Basically just dust

Drilling the main hole with a 21/64" bit

1 - Drilling at low speed produced larger fragments and a more jagged cut.

2 - Drilling at high speed, low pressure produced tiny, tiny fragments and no noticeable spiraling. Almost all fragments were to the outside of the hole. What was inside was dust like.

Tapping the hole - I did this 3 different ways

1 - Tapping with no grease, no vaccum, no magnets produced the largest pieces and these went into the hole. What was produced was larger than I felt comfortable with, but still HIGHLY unlikely to cause any damage at all.

2 - Tapping with a magnet placed near the hole produced similar results as the previous attempt, but all pieces ended up stuck to the inside of the iron where the magnet was placed. Nothing actually fell down to the surface.

3 -Tappingwith vacuum and a magnet prodcued no fragments in the hole, everything was either captured by the magnet or sucked up in the vaccum. Very little was even on the magnet.

Results / Recommendations

1 - Drill a pilot hole at high speed, low pressurewith the
engine off.
1a. Do not drill this with the engine running. If this small drill bit does break, it WILL cause damage.

2 - Drill the main hole at high speed, low pressure with the engine off.
2a. Do not us grease here. This will clog the bit flutesand if it does drop into the manifold, this makes for a sticky abrasive goo.

3 - Tap the hole with either vacuum or the engine running to expell any particles.
3a. Tap to the recommendations of the manufacturer.

4 - If you are not comfortable with the engine running or vacuum, loosen (do not remove) the bolts on the
turbo mounting flange and slide a piece of tape (sticky side up) between the turbo and the manifold to catch anything that does fall. Obviously remove this and re-torque the mounting bolts to 24 lb/ft before starting.

Just some observations I made while doing a few test fits.

[/align][/align][/align][/align]What I did with the vacuum was I took one of the brush attachments for the shop-vac, pulled the brush off and drilled a 3/4 inch hole through the top of it.

What this let me do was run the drill with 360* of vacuum at the drill point and still see what I was doing.

I did the same thing on the tap and had almost no pieces on the magnet at all.

Instead of removing the manifold, just loosen the 4 bolts on the turbo mounting flange and place a few pieces of duct tape (sticky side facing the manifold) and anything that does fall will stick to that. Then jsut re-torque the mounting flange bolts back to 24 ft/lb.
[/align][/align][/align]Okay, you asked for it...

First pic is the vacuum tool that I modded so that I could drill the manifold and have vaccum all around the site. Very easy, very effective.

[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]Second pic is the actual drilling and tapping of the manifold. Sorry I forgot the take a pic of the main hole and I couldn't hold the camera, a drill, and a vacuum attachment to get a good pic, but you get the point. I found that my tap set was too short to use with the vacuum, so what I did was lay the magnet across the exhaust manifold for support and attached the magnet itself to the tap. This drew all the pieces right to the tap an trapped them. Worked friggin awesome.

[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]Third pic is the finished install. I still need to dress up the wiring and put the pillar mount on (when it gets here), but no big deal.
[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]Been having fun with this silly bastard all day. On level 1 & 2 during my normal driving, goosing it here and there, running a few hills, I never saw higher than 800 - 850* on the EGT. The only time I saw low 900's was stomping on it just for fun on level 3. Yeah, she moves now!

One thing that is a BASTARD is getting to the key position switch for the turbo timer. This took me longer than the damn EGT probe. You gotta be a friggin contorsionist to get to that plug in the steering column.

Anyways, it's real easy. Took all of 1 1/2 to completely finish.

[/align]

[/align]

[/align][/align][/align]

Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Dam Mayfair I think you need to use a bigger font size as it was hard to read, Not

Old 04-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Mayfair
Legend

LOL ... I just copied and pasted it just as it was originally posted. Don't blame me - blame Rich

Quick Reply: Which Diesel Tuner?