Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
Edge Juice (monitor)
16.00%
Smarty Sr - + gauges
40.00%
Smarty Jr - + gauges
12.00%
Edge Attitude
32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Which Diesel Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
campermama
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Diesel Tuner?

Thank you Mayfair!!! And thank you Rich, I owe ya one! Do you guys know is the manifold hallow inside so I just drill right through and won't hit anything inside?

It seems easy enough, I guess.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah, it's hollow, however try and hit the same spot Rich did. Woli tried another spot and wound up hitting a vain inside and it caused a real headache.

You'll be fine. Several guy's here have done it.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 AM
SpLaT
Captain

campermama, the Edge will be fine. I'll quote my other brother who runs hotshot service shuttling RVs from coast to coast... "gauges!?... I don't need no stinking gauges!! My truck did't come with em so I don't need em!!" Hes partly right, has no "perfrmance" mods on his 05 QC 3500 DRW 2wd, he also has passed the 250,000 mile marker and has never had an issue!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Bigriver

Hey Campermama, I have the Edge/Attitude in my 06'. It's everything that everyone has said that it is, and more. I'm not into full bore race mode, but it's good to know that I have something extra should I ever want it or need it.

Something that I might add to this is the ability to change the levels of performance on the fly, as in at the bottom of a hill or a stop light, or even when a ferd pulls up next to you.

Available on the market are A pillar covers that can house the Attitude monitor in a convienent location without loosing your grab handle.

Also, I want to point out, regarding the instalation of the pyrometer, if you ever decide to add an exhaust brake, such as the Pac-Brake model, there is a tapped and threaded location for the pyrometer on the down tube of the exhaust brake. This location is not the best place due to it being after the turbo, it doesn't give true temps of the exhaust. It is the easier method since you don't have to tap and thread your exhaust manifold. I happen to have both locations due to having added gauges first and the later added the Edge /Attitude.

Good luck on you decision, either programmer will make a difference with your truck. I want to say that your biggest problem will be a heavy foot!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
campermama
Professional

So in the picture below are you talking about A or B that is already drilled and tapped after the turbo? If I used that then I can just figure that the temp it shows is really hotter then that right?

Name:  DodgeMega020a.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  53.7 KB

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
SpLaT
Captain

campermama, if you go with the smarty jr. it has built in safety for EGTs it defuels if they get to high, the smarty jr was developed for those of us that don't want to race vettes and aren't into spending hard earned cash on bling. Guages aren't necessary with the jr. (would save you some money and worrys about drilling into your manifold, taping into the electrical and so on) Check out other forums like TDR or DTR, full of info and first hand experience, you will find very few if anyone having issues with the samrty sr or jr. software, most problems are associated with owners who push their rigs too hard!! Or not hard enough!?

If it were me, I'd go with the Smarty jr. and not worry about gauges!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
campermama
Professional

Ok, I think I have decided to go with the Smarty Sr. + gauges!

Now to figure out what gauges!!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Ask Sharky about gauges... At least, that's who I'd ask

Old 04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
campermama
Professional

Who is sharky, can't find him in the member list.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM
SpLaT
Captain

campermama, go to dieselmanor.com, check out their selection of ISSPRO gauge packages, I picked up the 3 gauge pack with an indash mount (dash mount in that little cubby hole under heater controls, I have short legs and high truck so pillar mount wasn't an option ). I got the boost, EGT and tranny temp kit came complete with everything you'll need, including detailed colour pictures of the install.

Quick Reply: Which Diesel Tuner?