Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need some advice on new Ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
reed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some advice on new Ram

Hey cumminsowner,

I attended a Cummins owner appreciation event, so let me fill you in on something. Even Cummins acknowledges that the 6.7 is getting far less MPG than the 5.9 did. When people bought the 6.7, they were told to expect MPG similar to the 5.9. So 6.7 owners have a legitimate complaint. And the 6.7's MPG is not uniform it varies greatly from truck to truck. It is the emissions controls that are causing the poor MPG as acknowledged by Cummins. Even though I am environmentally sensitive, I question how burning more fuel is really helping in the big picture. Surely there must be another way of cleaning the DPF.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:52 PM
chouseal
Veteran

Reed, I'm on your side, bro. I was simply responding to cumminsowner's post which I thought was off-base on a number of points. I think he's the one you meant to address?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
reed
Veteran

Foot in mouth, yes, I was meaning to reply to "cumminsowner" [8D] Sorry man

ORIGINAL: chouseal

Reed, I'm on your side, bro. I was simply responding to cumminsowner's post which I thought was off-base on a number of points. I think he's the one you meant to address?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Master Baiter

ORIGINAL: jbs6262

The 5.9 is a whole different animal so please don't compare those engines with a new 6.7.
Oh..... OK so the 6.7 doesn't have a break - in period? That is good information to know. Maybe they handle that at the factory before it's sent to the dealer.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cumminsowner

I GUESS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND SOME OF THESE POSTERS...ITS OBVIOUS MOST DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT..

FIRST OFF TO GET A 7000+ LB VEHICLE TO GET 14 MPG AROUND TOWN IS AMAZING! I GET 13 - 14 AROUND TOWN AND BETWEEN 18 AN 20 ON THE HIGHWAY...THATS A 07.5 6.7 LITER WITH 7000 MILES ON IT.

DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THE STUPID "MODS"..NUMER 1 YOU WILL VOID THE WARRANTY ON YOUR TRUCK. DO YOU REALLY WANT A 45,000.00 LAWN ORNAMENT??

NUMBER 2.. GET OFF THE RIGHT PEDAL..ITS SOUNDS NICE TO WIND IT UP..BUT EVERY TIME YOU DO YOU BLAST FUEL DOWN THE PIPE TO THE DPF..

NUMBER 3 THE DPF DOES NOT USE FUEL TO BURN OFF THE SOOT..IT DOES IT USING A CATYLIST...AS IT FILLS WITH SOOT THE CATALYIST ACTIVATES AS YOU DRIVE AND BURN OFF THE SOOT..THERE IS NO RAW FUEL BURN OFF..

NUMBER 4 IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD IT ...DON'T BUY IT AND THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THE MILEAGE...SOME OF THE PROBLEMS THIS COUNTRY IS IN NOW IS CAUSED BY A KEEPING UP WITH THE JONE'S MENTALITY..

NUMBER 5.. ALTHOUGH MOST POSTER ON HERE HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS...SOME ARE IN THE "BUSINESS" SELLING THESE "MODS"...LEAVE YOUR TRUCK STOCK, CHANGE THE OIL, FILTERS PER SPEC AN YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES DOWN THE ROAD..AND YOU KEEP YOUR CASH IN YOUR POCKET!
You are right most don't know what they are talking about- if you knew your truck well you would know that during regeneration mode your truck has accumulated soot and is filling the dpf, back pressure sensors know this and to burn it off it has to raise egt's. Now how do you raise egt's? Unburnt raw fuel- increasing the fuel will raise the egt's to burn off the soot. With the combination of fuel and the catalyst-soot is burnt off and nox is broken down to nitrogen and water- reducing nox and pm.
http://www.everytime.cummins.com/assets/pdf/4971141.pdf

Im pretty sure that most all people that have posted info on all topics know what they are talking about. If not they would not have posted.

Now if you want to learn about your truck, here you go.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

And besides the catalyst collects material- its only activated under rich exhaust conditions- it doesn't act on its own.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Master Baiter

ORIGINAL: jbs6262

The 5.9 is a whole different animal so please don't compare those engines with a new 6.7.
Oh..... OK so the 6.7 doesn't have a break - in period? That is good information to know. Maybe they handle that at the factory before it's sent to the dealer.
FYI, the 6.7L engine still needs to be broke in just like the 5.9L engines.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:00 PM
globalwarmer01

That's awesome that you guys put that guy in his place. I love this place already. Too bad you guys aren't in the military.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:33 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

The 6.7 infact has a 7th injector after the turbo which injects fuel into the exhaust to help initiate the DPF "burn off". Ford injects that fuel into the cylinders, I'm not sure how the GM engine accomplishes this. And like other's here I really question the thinking that allows more fuel to be burnt to get "better" emissions. So the emissions are better, there are just more of them!

Mod wisely, the one valid point that was made by old yeller above is that some mods will cause your warranty to be voided, and some just do not live up to the hype.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
cmharcou
Rookie

Thank goodness I have a 5.9 after reading this. My 5.9 has 112k runs great, and get 20mpg everywhere I go. I can stretch if to 24 if I keep my foot out of it. I have edge juice set to level 1 for mileage and put it on the lowest smoke setting.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on new Ram