Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need some advice on new Ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM
rick4dak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on new Ram

My fairly-new 2008 Ram has a drinking problem. Before I buy a Camry to drive on a daily basis, I'd like to know what to do to improve fuel mileage. At 13.5 mpg, it's costing $800/month to drive. I knew it was going to use a lot of diesel but that surprised me.
Do any of the programmers really improve mpg enough to pay for them selves ?
Does synthetic lubricants improve mpg very much ?
What about intake and/or exhaust ?
Does the dpf make exhause changes a waste of $$$ ?

I know many of you have asked and answered these questions for yourselves and any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 AM
firemedic740
Veteran
Default RE: Need some advice on new Ram

DPF= bad mpg's!!! When the dpf collects soot the computer send more fuel to raise egts to burn off soot. With the dpf on your mileage won't get any better.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Master Baiter

Drive it, tow with it, break it in. I'm just now starting to see decent mpg's after 32k miles and a few long tripstowing a travel trailer. I have a 5.9, but I'm sure the 6.7 requires a similar break in period. I know your fustration, but hopefully it will get better.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
jbs6262

I have an 08 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 6.7,9,000 miles and I have all the same questions. I get 13 to 14 hand calculated every tank no matter how soft I drive, which seems to be the norm with these engines. Occasionally there may be some on these boards with a little better milage but not many, I'm wondering also if the add-ons or the programmers are what's getting a 6.7 closer to 18 mpg. The 5.9 is a whole different animal so please don't compare those engines with a new 6.7.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Otis30
Rookie

That mileage is terrible! I bet the benefits of the cleaner-burning-motor are negated by the fact that you have to burn so much more fuel! Something's not right about that...

Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
chouseal
Veteran

Something's not right about that...
Unless you're a government bureaucrat, then it makes perfect sense.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
dakotafireguy
Amateur

What is your driving like? More around town or alot of highway? If its alot of highway, then those numbers are definetly bad.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
cumminsowner

I GUESS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND SOME OF THESE POSTERS...ITS OBVIOUS MOST DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT..

FIRST OFF TO GET A 7000+ LB VEHICLE TO GET 14 MPG AROUND TOWN IS AMAZING! I GET 13 - 14 AROUND TOWN AND BETWEEN 18 AN 20 ON THE HIGHWAY...THATS A 07.5 6.7 LITER WITH 7000 MILES ON IT.

DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THE STUPID "MODS"..NUMER 1 YOU WILL VOID THE WARRANTY ON YOUR TRUCK. DO YOU REALLY WANT A 45,000.00 LAWN ORNAMENT??

NUMBER 2.. GET OFF THE RIGHT PEDAL..ITS SOUNDS NICE TO WIND IT UP..BUT EVERY TIME YOU DO YOU BLAST FUEL DOWN THE PIPE TO THE DPF..

NUMBER 3 THE DPF DOES NOT USE FUEL TO BURN OFF THE SOOT..IT DOES IT USING A CATYLIST...AS IT FILLS WITH SOOT THE CATALYIST ACTIVATES AS YOU DRIVE AND BURN OFF THE SOOT..THERE IS NO RAW FUEL BURN OFF..

NUMBER 4 IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD IT ...DON'T BUY IT AND THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THE MILEAGE...SOME OF THE PROBLEMS THIS COUNTRY IS IN NOW IS CAUSED BY A KEEPING UP WITH THE JONE'S MENTALITY..

NUMBER 5.. ALTHOUGH MOST POSTER ON HERE HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS...SOME ARE IN THE "BUSINESS" SELLING THESE "MODS"...LEAVE YOUR TRUCK STOCK, CHANGE THE OIL, FILTERS PER SPEC AN YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY ISSUES DOWN THE ROAD..AND YOU KEEP YOUR CASH IN YOUR POCKET!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 PM
chouseal
Veteran

Umm... might I offer a few friendly suggestions?

1. Caps lock... turn it off. It's the Internet equivalent to YELLING AT EVERYONE.

2. Before you accuse others of not knowing what they're talking about, make darn sure you know what you're talking about.

3. Some mods are indeed unwise. But most, believe it or not, serve a practical, useful purpose that makes routine driving more enjoyable and your truck more capable of whatever it is you ask it to do.

4. "Mods" in general do not void your truck warranty. It's up to the owner to know which ones do and decide for himself if it's worth it. Some mods in fact dramatically increase mileage among other desirables. And keeping things stock is certainly no guarantee that you will "not have any issues down the road."

5. How does asking for tips on how to get better gas mileage become "keeping up with the Joneses?"

6. The above is your second post on this forum. How exactly do you know that "some are in the 'business' [of] selling these 'mods'"? It's not like those who advertise here do so covertly to try and swindle you. Nobody's forcing anybody to do anything.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:16 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Here is some cheap advice, I think you need to check your facts and your attitude before you tell someone they really don't know what they are talking about. Also turn off the Cap lock!

Quick Reply: Need some advice on new Ram