Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
cchavez06
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Exhaust?

Hi guys I have a 04 ctd with the 305 horsepower output and I have been looking into getting a aftermarket exhaust. Each brand that I have looked at claims to be the best but I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
pizzo
All Star

i have mbrp 5inch works great looks good most have the pipe right out the back rt side behind the rear tires I own a boats and wanted it facing down keep that soot off my babies. you can get stacks too but if you roll coal and tow something its not a good idea plus you have to cut up your bed.
heard good things about magnaflow also check are vendor sites in particular
www.doghousediesel.com they have it all just tell them Pizzo sent you from Dodge forums

Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 AM
sanford35_5.9
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the MBRP 5" is the best sounding Exhaust out there, they are real easy to install and look great. Well unless you like the sound of straight pipe then you can just go down to your local exhaust shop and get a 5" pipe and throw that on.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
cchavez06
Rookie

When I have been looking at some of the systems I have noticed that they sell a muffler delete pipe. Does that just pretty much straight pipe your exhaust or is there some sort of guts in it that does a certain job? I live in Utah and if the vehicle came with a cat then it needs to remain that way but I'm not sure what my dodge has? I don't think it has a cat I think it just has a 3 1/2" exhaust to a muffler and out the tail pipe from there?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Wanna know a little secret about most of the exhausts?.......they're mostly the same, with the exception of the muffer design.

There's only so many ways to make a round pipe, if ya know what I mean.

Now, as far as picking the one that is right for you, ARE YOU MARRIED?....and does your wife ride in the truck? Seems stupid, but it'll cause you some heartache.

Here's what you're looking at as far as sound levels and drone in the cab, from quietest to loudest.

Diamond Eye
HushPower
Magnaflow
MBRP
Silverline
Strait Pipe

I run a 5" Magnaflow Dual setup in mine and I'm very happy with it. I hear more turbo than anything else......then again, 2 turbos make a little noise.

Your '04 will only have a cat if it was a Cali model. Look up by the tranny cross member and you'll see it if it's there.

A muffler delete pipe is just that. It's just a pre-formed section of pipe that gets rid of the muffler, making it a straight pipe system.

Last edited by Coal Train; 10-08-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
cchavez06
Rookie

Thanks for all the info guys. Coaltrain your truck is bad ***.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Coal Train
All Star

It does okay.....

Let me know which system you're looking for and I'll throw some numbers at ya.

I'm assuming you just want 4", side exit or duals, with or w/o muffler?

You're in UT, so I'm assuming you'll at least want 409 stainless and not the aluminized system?

Last edited by Coal Train; 10-08-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM
cchavez06
Rookie

Ya I will get the 409. I'm looking at a 4" side exit probably a mbrp or silverline. What's your opinion on Banks Monster Exhaust? I'm going to do some looking at some video's of a straight pipe on one and contemplate that also.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Banks?......nice stuff, but overpriced.

Somebodies gotta pay for all that advertising.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 AM
cchavez06
Rookie

Kinda off the subjuect I posted earlier a buddy of mine has a 02 ctd and had to replace his VP and told me I would need to get a FASS system on mine if I decided to throw some tunes in it. Was it primarily the older ctd that had that problem throwing the VP or is mine in that catagory?

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust?