Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
coalminer08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Issues

i have a 2002 ram 2500 ho and its hard to start and has a very rough idle and wont rev up at all or drive any advice?????
its a 24v 5spd 4wd

Last edited by coalminer08; 01-22-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Coal Train
All Star

First thing to look for is fuel pressure from the lift pump.

Put a catch can under the filter housing and open the drain. Drain any remaining fuel from it and leave the drain open.

Next, turn the key to run and quickly bump the starter (BUT DO NOT START).

This will cycle the lift pump for 20 seconds. If you don't get any fuel flow from the drain, the lift pump is shot and needs to be replaced.

On any VP44 powered truck, the lift pump is critical to the life of the injection pump. If the lift pump is in-op, it can destroy the injection pump within 8 - 10 miles.

If there is fuel flow from the filter housing, then it's more than likely that the injection pump is shot. If that's the case, you should be getting codes for Injection Pump Timing Error and several other associated codes.

Last edited by Coal Train; 01-22-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:29 PM
coalminer08

ok so i cycled the key to put it in code mode and all it keeps telling me is the code P1693 and it says DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM and it will run on ether but just wont supply its own fuel any more ideas and the injector pump is aprox 6 months old

Old 01-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Coal Train
All Star

I hate to say it, but that's usually a companion code to the computer on the VP44.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:30 PM
coalminer08

i know but they say there are a few things that can go wrong with that one is the voltage supply line is broke and another is that since the pump is new and if it was installed wrong persay the keyway installed in the wrong direction it would eventually throw a dtc code but i havent ever heard of the actual comp on pump all i have read was trouble shoot stuff like that and that i basically have to find waht is turning the pump off

Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Highly unlikely the pump was keyed wrong, unless the installer was a moron. If that happened, the pump would be firing 180 degrees off (trying to inject during the exhaust stroke) and you'd be getting enormous clouds of white smoke.

And yes, the VP44 has it's own computer. That's what controls the pressure, duration and timing. Unlike the CP3 that only has to supply pressure, the VP44 is a "smart pump" and has to control all the fuel injection functions.

You can check the pump wire, but I have a feeling that's not gonna be the problem.

You can always pull the pump and bring it to any authorized Bosch service center and they can test the pump.

Where are located?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:06 AM
coalminer08

beckley, wv

Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Coal Train
All Star

I have three options for you.

All are very good.

You have Turbo Diesel and Electric Systems in Atlanta, GA.....Midwest Fuel Injection in Bolingbrook, IL.....Diesel Injection Service Co. in Louisville, KY.

TDE - 800-241-4389

MFI - 815.306.6050

DISC - 502-357-7800

The two I deal with directly are TDE and MFI.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM
dennhop

P1693 is a companion code, which means that there is another code somewhere in the computer. You may or may not be able to view it with the key trick, which means the dealer may have to pull it with their equipment. The biggest problem with these trucks is fuel delivery. The OEM lift pump is incapable of handling the fuel delivery that the VP44 requires, since the VP lubricates itself via fuel flow. It sounds from your symptoms though, that the LP is out. If you just replaced your VP a few months ago, there's a good chance that the reason it went was because of a failing LP, in which case, it will kill your VP again. If it is the LP, instead of paying 2-300 bucks for another OEM pump, spend the extra money and buy either a FASS or Airdog lift pump. Airdog is about a 100 dollars cheaper than FASS, and you'll never have to worry about fuel flow again. Don't get the FASS DDRP though, it's a junk pump.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 PM
coalminer08

i did some research on all that and well when that code is thrown there is 3 likelyhoods one is the pcm then the ecm then the fpcm and the lp is pumping fine for another thing and from what i can tell from talking to dodge and reading schematics for the computers and such i have come to the conclusion that it is the fpcm or injector pump computer so i have a new ip and will be installed on monday and thankyou guys for all your help

also from what i have read is that the computers are bad about goin out on the refurbs and i still havent found out why on that one yet but the main thing is that i found the issue and i will be back up shortly lol and as well the p1693 is a electrical failure not fuel failure i found that out as well on my research quest

Last edited by coalminer08; 01-23-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Issues