Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010 | 08:57 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran
Default steering issue

when i make a turn say into a road or a driveway, weather i was stopped before making the turn or not, and in either direction, on its way back to center the steering wheel jerks a few times. its not violent or anything, but its doesnt come back smooth. steering box, pump, tie rods, ball joints, steering stabilizer are all new within the past year. any suggestions?

Old 04-22-2010 | 01:23 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

check your u-joints at the knuckles

EDIT: also, check for the off chance that it may be stuck it 4x4

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 04-22-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2010 | 07:01 AM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

My truck has been doing the same thing. I've been so busy with work that I haven't been able to take a look yet. I am having a friend do a DOT inspection on the truck and trailer this weekend, so we'll poke around and try to figure out what's wore out. My guess right now is u joints. I'll try and post back when I find something.

Old 04-22-2010 | 07:19 AM
Naginnarb

Steering system problems can also come with components you least expect.
-As well as the others you might want to look at your tires, sometimes a tear in the side wall of your tire can effect steering.
-Also measure the alignment and make sure it is within specs.

Old 04-22-2010 | 03:34 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran

u-joints in the knuckles look fine, thats not saying they arent bad tho, it was just a quick visual inspection. tires are 35"x13.5"x18" procomp xtreme allterrains with about 3k on them. visually the sidewalls and treadwear looks good. and in mid january i had an alignment done on the truck. this just started about 2 weeks ago. it seems it only happens when its say above 70 degrees out. the mornings are about 45-50 and it doesnt happen. but in the afternoon when its 65-70 is when i notice it.

Old 04-22-2010 | 05:30 PM
mi11ertyme26

I had the same exact problem, except mine was clunking/popping while turning. I took mine apart today and the passenger side u-joint is partially seized. The problem just started about a week and a half ago and has gotten worse. If I were you, I would jack the front wheels off the ground. Try to rotate the tire by hand while it is turned. You'll probably notice a bind and the wheel will actually try to straighten itself out because the u-joints don't want to rotate. And no, you most likely won't notice a bad u-joint from the outside appearance.

Old 04-23-2010 | 05:05 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran

well seems i need to get myself some free time and investigate these ujoints. sounds like that might be my issue. thanks everyone

Old 04-24-2010 | 11:22 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

We found a bad u joint on the drivers side and 2 bad upper ball joints. I'll call the dealer on Monday and see what they'll do. I have an extended warranty. I was hoping to find more stuff loose, I would like a whole new front end before the warranty is up in 10k.

Quick Reply: steering issue