Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Maybe getting a cummins.. And have some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe getting a cummins.. And have some questions..

I don't know if this is on here but I tried searching and couldn't find it if it is. But I was wondering what year of the cummins is the best overall? I know there were the 5.9's and 6.7's. I maybe getting a 99 cummins I came across or an 04-5 cummins I came across as well.. But I've heard that the 03-05's have problems? Is that true?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no real problems with either of them but if you go after the 99, must get a fuel pressure gauge, and maby an aftermarket lift pump

Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy any cummins engine. They all have problems. They all need to be repaired.

Sorry, that was being a smart-azz.

It's true though, every edition of the engine will have its issues. Older ones lack power the new ones have, but they got better fuel mileage. They are older so they've got more wear. The new trucks are likely more comfortable to ride (suspension, etc), and have more gadgets.

I went with a middle of the road truck (see sig) and I'm very happy. I've only had it for 8 weeks, but I've put over 9,000kms on it already. I don't like the 6.7 due to the DPF issues, and I couldn't justify all the other repairs neaded to keep an older truck on the road. I needed a mega cab too so that's what lead me to the 2006.

As long as you find a good clean truck, I'm sure you'll be more than happy.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 AM
horatio102
Champion

:lol:

needed a mega cab.

I almost bought a mega cab, but then decided that the extra 2' of interior room wasn't worth the extra 2' of parking lot real estate.

It would have been nice, but now that the road trip is over, I'm not missing it.

Although, we don't have child seats yet.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Cthulhu
Captain

I wouldn't need a mega cab if Dodge had not made an extremely small, and extremely LARGE cab. I like the new CrewCab, which is finally a happy medium between the two. Can't get it in a 5.9 though.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
horatio102
Champion

Agreed, the crew is a better size, but so far the quad has been plenty big enough.

The only time it was too small was when my GF decided that we needed three pillows, a comforter, the camera bag, a bag full of magazines/puzzle books, her kid's bag full of music crap, a bag full of toiletries, a bag full of ... plus a cooler all in the cab for our road trip.

I fixed that right away and stuck a bunch of it in the trailer.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Don't buy any cummins engine. They all have problems. They all need to be repaired.

Sorry, that was being a smart-azz.

It's true though, every edition of the engine will have its issues. Older ones lack power the new ones have, but they got better fuel mileage. They are older so they've got more wear. The new trucks are likely more comfortable to ride (suspension, etc), and have more gadgets.

I went with a middle of the road truck (see sig) and I'm very happy. I've only had it for 8 weeks, but I've put over 9,000kms on it already. I don't like the 6.7 due to the DPF issues, and I couldn't justify all the other repairs neaded to keep an older truck on the road. I needed a mega cab too so that's what lead me to the 2006.

As long as you find a good clean truck, I'm sure you'll be more than happy.
That is true. I'm just worried about buying a diesel an it cost it $$$ when I'm only using it for towing my 20ft enclosed mx trailer.. I'm about to be new in the diesel world really soon so I just wanted to get my info about them straight.. I'm looking for a used one, and I found some but there all in the 100,xxx range, the dealer told me that all cummins engines or typical diesel engines break in around that time anyway? I don't know if that's true or not.. So I'm stuck on asking people for opinions haha if you know what I mean

Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 PM
horatio102
Champion

If you're planning on leaving it stock, get an older 5.9 cummins with a 5 or 6 speed manual and don't worry about mileage as long as it appears to have been maintained.

If you don't mind monkeying with the emissions, and want a low mile one, get whatever one you can find. If it's a 6.7, disable the EGR.

I would be weary of buying a 6.7 with higher miles based on the amount of carbon the EGR shoots back into the cyls. The shop that did some work on my truck said that they've seen 1/4" carbon buildup inside the EGR on trucks with as few as 10k miles - people buy them as daily drivers and don't romp on them and the carbon just builds up, eventually it flakes off and goes through the cylinders, the turbo, the DPF, the cat, and out the tailpipe if it doesn't clog up somewhere.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Does the 5.9 not have an EGR on it?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 AM
horatio102
Champion

Not like the 6.7 does...

I thought the 5.9 didn't have one - according to Allpar, the 24 valve that came out in 98 met the 98 emissions requirements without a catalyst or EGR, but I've heard some people mention that the later 5.9s had egr as a function of cam timing. I know nothing about it.

Ok, here it is: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...gr-delete.html

"There is no EGR pieces to take off an 06. The EGR is an in-cylinder solution that is achived with valve timing, injection timing, turbo, and injection event control. Major dollars to make a difference."

What I've circled in red is the EGR crap on the 6.7s.

Last edited by horatio102; 05-12-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Maybe getting a cummins.. And have some questions..