Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which engine should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010 | 06:08 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done any research into the differences between the 1/2-ton frame and the 3/4 and 1-ton frames? The 1/2 tons were never designed to handle the torque or weight of the big engines. Your 9.25" rear axle isn't up to the task either. The diesels have 11.5" ring gears, and as you can guess there's a huge difference in strength there.

Old 11-07-2010 | 09:51 PM
bigjohnellinas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i have looked at a 91 dually 2wd with a cummins in it and i have looked at my truck a saw that i had a more beefy looking frame than the dually around the engine and the rest of the frame looks the same. so im not to worried about twisting anything because i dont plan on putting a tone of power into the motor anyways.
Now as for the axle i would have to say that i might want to change it for that exact reason. the fact that on 1500 it is smaller and most likely will break if you do put power into the diesel or try to tow after the swap.

I have one more question for you dodgetrucker. when you went to the ref did the truck have to have the stock exhaust. I dont know if 12v had a sump catcher or not but if they did, did you have to put that on for the ref?

Old 11-07-2010 | 09:55 PM
bigjohnellinas
Rookie

O ya sorry to get to off topic johnnyrocket. as for what motor i think it all depends on what you want to spend and how much work you want to spend. 12v cheap easy, 24v a little more pricey and more wires but will work, and 6.7 will be a custom rig and even more wires and cash.
base power shouldn't be your concern because you plan on modding the motor anyways

Old 11-07-2010 | 10:37 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horatio102
Have you done any research into the differences between the 1/2-ton frame and the 3/4 and 1-ton frames? The 1/2 tons were never designed to handle the torque or weight of the big engines. Your 9.25" rear axle isn't up to the task either. The diesels have 11.5" ring gears, and as you can guess there's a huge difference in strength there.
yes, the 1500 frames are a little smaller, but its only in the height, the frame will hanel it no problem, the rear axle, like i said will handel it but rough off roading or heavy towing, will more than likely to it into many pieces, there are a lot of guys converting std cab, short box 1500's, with great luck and they are fast, but they arnt putting a hole lot of stress on the rear axel either, but in any case it would be a very good idea to upgrade to the 70 or 80 behind the cummins

Originally Posted by bigjohnellinas
I have one more question for you dodgetrucker. when you went to the ref did the truck have to have the stock exhaust. I dont know if 12v had a sump catcher or not but if they did, did you have to put that on for the ref?
mine was straight piped into the stacks, there are no diesel conversion laws, and still are not any as far as i know, but i could be wrong

Old 11-08-2010 | 01:55 PM
johnnyrocket5363
|
Captain

Thanks guys!! I don't mind getting off topic a little; I learn more that way. I DO plan on a tougher rear axle in the immediate future. Another question I have; the legal (and sometimes tougher) end. How do you get out of the OBD2 inspection? Here in N.C., my dad's diesel duallie gets the saftey inpection only. Is it as simple as getting a vehicle inspector check it over? What do I expect? Can I try to apply for a custom vehicle VIN? And can I get the input shaft on my NV4500 changed out and use it, or are they fundamentally different? This will save me $$$

Old 11-08-2010 | 02:56 PM
bigjohnellinas
Rookie

well here in California as everyone knows, we have the most strict smog laws. For example if you go on the magnaflow web site and look at cats there is a 49 state section and then a California section also in California putting anything on your vehicle that wasn't from factory is illegal like putting flows on your truck can get you a fix it ticket. Unless another form of your car has it like a 03 mustang cobra has a supercharger, so that means you can legally put a charger on a 03 gt.Of course the laws don't stop most people from doing stuff because go to the right smog place,for $200 they will pass you.
Now in NC im not sure but i would imagine it is as easy as calling the dmv and saying you are doing a biodiesel conversion, but dont quote me you will have to look into it. If i were you i would start at any type of high performance shop/ diesel tuning shop or you can look at the 4bt fourms http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

for your input shaft why would you want to change it out? isnt that what came with cummins/v10 anyways
As far as i know you wont have to apply for a custom vin because you already have a vin. the only time you need a custom vin is if you are converting the vehicle or creating a custom one like a buggy. For example my uncle is taking a 85 chevy 2500 frame with a diesel and is putting a hummer shell on it kinda like the urban gorilla conversion but someone else made the shell from scratch and he bought that. Since he is changing the face of the truck he needs a new vin, once again that doesn't mean he is going to apply for the custom vin he is just using the Chevy vin lol. Always look for the easy way out

Last edited by bigjohnellinas; 11-08-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2010 | 03:12 PM
bigjohnellinas
Rookie

Dodgetrucker when you swapped your motor were all the mounts the same? do you think it is the same for the V8s as well. when i inspected that dually with the cummins the mounts looked the same but do you think there is a difference in maybe the width or anything like that?
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to take a cross-member for the trans mount off a 2500 and use it for the swap on a 1500 you know maybe for added strength or would that be a waste of time

Old 11-08-2010 | 03:36 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
Thanks guys!! I don't mind getting off topic a little; I learn more that way. I DO plan on a tougher rear axle in the immediate future. Another question I have; the legal (and sometimes tougher) end. How do you get out of the OBD2 inspection? Here in N.C., my dad's diesel duallie gets the saftey inpection only. Is it as simple as getting a vehicle inspector check it over? What do I expect? Can I try to apply for a custom vehicle VIN? And can I get the input shaft on my NV4500 changed out and use it, or are they fundamentally different? This will save me $$$
if you do the swap correctly, with the right wiring harness and pcm, you will still be OBD2 compliant, and shouldnt have a problem, i just got mine inspected here and they took me completely off the database, no inspection, no smog, nothing, but may be different for you.
the nv4500 behind the gas engines is a completely different animal, but change the bellhousing and it will bolt up and work, but its the same situation as the rear axle...
Originally Posted by bigjohnellinas
Dodgetrucker when you swapped your motor were all the mounts the same? do you think it is the same for the V8s as well. when i inspected that dually with the cummins the mounts looked the same but do you think there is a difference in maybe the width or anything like that?
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to take a cross-member for the trans mount off a 2500 and use it for the swap on a 1500 you know maybe for added strength or would that be a waste of time
anything from 94-02 is exactly the same as far as mounts go, you can swap any engine into any truck in thoes years, with the ecseption of the 02 1500's which are 3rd gens

Old 11-08-2010 | 08:27 PM
bigjohnellinas
Rookie

i found a whole build thread on the 4bt fourms of this guy who converted his 96 regular cab and made it look like it came from the factory like that electrical and all. i recomend taking a look http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...ght=sirhannick

Quick Reply: Which engine should I use?