Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesel help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 PM
08mgt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel help

Hey everyone! I am looking to buy a new truck. Well it will be used, but it will be new to me. Anyway, I am looking to get a Ram 2500 probably a 2006 or so. I have heard great things about the Cummins from a lot of sources. I've also heard that the automatic trans isn't great. If so I have no problems saving up some money to buy an aftermarket one.

I also like the 7.3l Powerstroke and hear thats a great engine. I also like the Duramax, but I'm not crazy about the IFS and having to spend money to beef it up.

I am looking for a truck that is going to be an all-around great truck. I plan to use it for towing, snowy weather, and off roading. I dont have a real interest in tuning and racing. I am pretty sure I want the Ram. I would like to hear about peoples experience with their Ram and any issues you have had with it, mainly transmission issues. Not trying to start a war, but any knowledge about any of the trucks mentioned would be great!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:35 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7.3 is a great engine, just harder to make any power with.
IFS + torque is rubbish off road.
Cant go wrong with Cummins, just save up for a built trans.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 AM
01ramcummins
Professional

agreed, ^ the cummins is a bullet proof motor, but yes the tranny is crap. if your not worried about money, id recomend the cummins dodge truck with a allison transmission, two indestructibles together, they make the adapter kit for it, just need the cash, but yes, cummins all the way.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM
08mgt

That about what I expected to hear. I will just save for a new trans when the time comes. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:34 PM
01ramcummins
Professional

If you do the allison conversion. Itll run you about 6-8 grand. But well worth it seems how there 2 industructable parts put together. Good luck tho.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:28 PM
horatio102
Champion

Allison is no better than what Ford or Dodge offer now. You guys do know that it's made by GM, right? It's not some magic Tank transmission. It's not the same transmission that gets put behind medium duty or heavy duty trucks either. It's a light duty pickup transmission.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM
ii_awesum

In the same market as 08mgt myself. So it looks like nothing is any better from the above comments. I've heard of 3500's blowing factory xmissions too (many Chryco products actually). If going to an Allison unit, then why not just buy a GM?? Or is there an option by Dodge for a better built tranny?

Mike

Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Because if you go with GM, you get the wonderful Duracrap, Allison-GM combo.

If you are looking to spend that much $$, why not go with a built tranny for the task?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 PM
ii_awesum

Every brand has some issue, Dodge always fails on the trannys, or so it seems (I've also ground one up in a minivan). I'm a Dodge fan, at least for their style, ride and price. I have no clue on GM's other than a bad experience with their "Goodgrief" Service Dept., but I do know a couple guys that have newer, well maintained diesel Fords (250 + 350) and had incredibly expensive ($3-15K) premature engine repairs, so I'm not considering Ford any time soon.

I'm looking potentially to snow-plow in the winter and tow boats (<45') long haul in summer. I recently encountered a 3500 on the side of the road with a 28' cruiser in tow, and a tranny that had that disheartening sound like a blender with ice cubes in it.... Maybe that isn't the right choice for the application, maybe that guy didn't do proper maintenance, but still yet another scrapped Dodge tranny!

End of Hijack, Back to the topic of having "an all-around great truck", someone says the Allison mod is better than stock, someone hints not. I'm sure we will all value some facts or statistics to weigh these opinions.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM
horatio102
Champion

The 68rfe is a perfectly robust transmission. The trans tuning from Dodge sucks IMHO, but that can be rectified. If you're going to crank up the power - in ANY diesel truck - you're going to need to save $5-10k for a built transmission. There are people out there with 600hp/1100lb-ft Cummins/68rfe trucks who aren't having any trans issues at all, because even though they have the power, they don't abuse the transmissions.

Quick Reply: Diesel help