Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummings Diesel vs Competition

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cummings Diesel vs Competition

Ya, When I read the post that said when they come out with the mega cab, Ahh what I have one, Ohh look at the date, LOL

Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

lets put it this way as well.

back when Cummins first started up, one of the first engines Clessie Cummins (yes thats the guys name that started Cummins up) designed was a 5.9L inline 6 engine, the 6BT. a few years after that and a few changes to the 6BT the Cummins 6ISB was developed. the ISB engine is the EXACT same engine Cummins has been putting out for decades. only a few things have changed over the years like the 24 valve head, mainly developed for the engine that is sold to Dodge and that was the largest change. generaly most of the changes occur with the injectors. anyway, Cummins has been building, testing and improving this engine for as I said before, Decades. how long has the Power Stroke been out, also how long has the Duramax been out, in terms of the running time of the Cummins they are still in their infancy.

one thing the Cummins has over the chevy or ford offering is that max torque is hit at only 1600rpm and maintained throughout the RPM range. the other two run upwards of 2000rpm+ before they hit max torque, then it drops off.

overall mechanical, the guts of the Cummins are massive, I have a pic of the pistons and rods side by side of the Cummins, Ford, and chevy diesels. only the duramax comes close to the size of the cummins since the engine is a 6.6L engine.

check this out

Good history lesson and explanation there Drew, Thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

lets put it this way as well.

back when Cummins first started up, one of the first engines Clessie Cummins (yes thats the guys name that started Cummins up) designed was a 5.9L inline 6 engine, the 6BT. a few years after that and a few changes to the 6BT the Cummins 6ISB was developed. the ISB engine is the EXACT same engine Cummins has been putting out for decades. only a few things have changed over the years like the 24 valve head, mainly developed for the engine that is sold to Dodge and that was the largest change. generaly most of the changes occur with the injectors. anyway, Cummins has been building, testing and improving this engine for as I said before, Decades. how long has the Power Stroke been out, also how long has the Duramax been out, in terms of the running time of the Cummins they are still in their infancy.

one thing the Cummins has over the chevy or ford offering is that max torque is hit at only 1600rpm and maintained throughout the RPM range. the other two run upwards of 2000rpm+ before they hit max torque, then it drops off.

overall mechanical, the guts of the Cummins are massive, I have a pic of the pistons and rods side by side of the Cummins, Ford, and chevy diesels. only the duramax comes close to the size of the cummins since the engine is a 6.6L engine.

check this out

Good history lesson and explanation there Drew,

Thanks

Quick Reply: Cummings Diesel vs Competition