Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CTD and BioDiesel Question ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005 | 12:35 PM
queenHEMI
|
All Star
Default CTD and BioDiesel Question ....

Hey Guys,
Just wondering If any of you are running biodiesel in your trucks or know anybody that is ....and what your thoughts are on this ..

Thanks !!!

Old 09-16-2005 | 06:57 PM
DAGS
Rookie
Default RE: CTD and BioDiesel Question ....

no true biodiesel, but the gov just started putting 10% ethnol in our diesel we have no choice up here in minnesota. did the price come down? no it went up... thanks for deluting my fuel for me...Sorry for the venting i just get mad at the MAN when they talk away my choices.

Old 09-16-2005 | 11:37 PM
gunzdoc

Been alot of buzz lately about it, but no real way to get it. Unless you want to spend like $3G's to get some weird contraption that looks like a moonshine distillery, and then you can make your own. I saw a episode on discovery where they have one guy that actually sells this kit. Gov, is also looking to start making pumps for it. Also heard rumors of getting the work done to convert your current diesel was a little pricy as well. I figure in the next 20 years we will all be sitting around casting the vote for the best Mcdonalds to buy 10 pounds of french fries to throw in your tank, .

Old 09-19-2005 | 09:05 PM
Drew
Professional

our CTD is certified through Cummins to run up to B20 without any modifications.

with BIO you get better lubrication, a higher cetane rateing, wich equates to better mileage and more power. however, BIO is a bit over $3 a gallon. there is a BIO place up north of me. but the one thing that Ive done so far that pays for itself is 16oz of Power Service(grey bottle) and 8oz of Marvels Mystery oil every time I fill up. Ive been averagind nearly 3mpg more with this mix.

Old 09-19-2005 | 09:09 PM
gunzdoc

Glad to hear we don't have to make any changes to our CTD to run this fuel.

Question: I have heard rumors that the fuel gives off a "FrenchFry" smell rather than the traditional diesel smell.

Dunno if this is true this is why I ask Drew,

Old 09-19-2005 | 09:20 PM
Drew
Professional

I personaly dont know about the smell. I just want to ditch the CAT so my exhaust doesnt smell like a propane grill[:@]

Old 09-19-2005 | 09:28 PM
gunzdoc

Thats why when I get home to Nebr,,,, BYE BYE kitty CAT

Old 09-20-2005 | 12:55 PM
queenHEMI
|
All Star

ORIGINAL: Drew

our CTD is certified through Cummins to run up to B20 without any modifications.

with BIO you get better lubrication, a higher cetane rateing, wich equates to better mileage and more power. however, BIO is a bit over $3 a gallon. there is a BIO place up north of me. but the one thing that Ive done so far that pays for itself is 16oz of Power Service(grey bottle) and 8oz of Marvels Mystery oil every time I fill up. Ive been averagind nearly 3mpg more with this mix.
Thanks Drew !!
I knew that they were certified to run a % of Bio .... was wondering if anybody was running a 100%
My Husband and I are looking into our next Truck to be a Cummins (or maybe a Liberty CRD and still keep the truck that we have )
(Now we just need to find someone that is running tractors on BioDiesel .....Hmmmm )

Old 09-20-2005 | 10:50 PM
Drew
Professional

to run 100% there are a few modifications to the injector pump that does need to be done.

however, even if you run B5 after running straight #2 you will need to change out the fuel filter since some of the sludge from the bottom of the tank will be cleaned out.

Old 09-21-2005 | 03:51 AM
gunzdoc

Yummie, sounds like alot of work. Thanks fer the update drew

Quick Reply: CTD and BioDiesel Question ....