Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

5.9 Cummins 53

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sad thing is the common rail trucks hit your power numbers with little more than a programmer...

That's what I miss most about my 08. That and the 4wd.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Jigabop
Champion

yeh they can crack 500hp with a programmer, but their egt's are through the roof, and their valve trains and clutches are hurting...

I can hold 500hp+ output for extended durations because my EGT's are hovering 1100-1200* while theirs are at 1600* ready to melt down lol.

and then there is that whole cracked injector and melted piston business... It may take far more mods to make power from my truck, but I love my VP truck common rails for for flat billed nancies.

they are like the new rice. "cold air intake, exhaust, chip, yay i got a race car" pssh.

Last edited by Jigabop; 05-29-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
iwanttoemailhim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to my neighbor about porting and polishing. He was telling me that if I wanted to do work to the head, I would be better off getting like an 06 style and putting it on my 98.5. He said that the newer heads have larger ports to begin with and stock it produces about 80 more horse without any mods yet. Don't know if you already know this but wanted to share and possibly get feed back to know if it is a good idea.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Jigabop
Champion

yes, stock vs stock the 3rd gen head flows better, but it also requires connector tube adapters to be custom made for it, and requires you to buy a new head...both increase cost significantly. you will also need to notch out a few water jackets and oil passages to be larger so they line up with the 2nd gen block.

it is usually more cost effective to have your own head done.

also cumminsperformanceparts sells a "race head" for about $3700. head has O-rings cut into it, port and polish job done, intake manifold milled off and choice of side draft or runner style intake manifolds to be put on. comes with valves and 110# springs pre-installed. He also may have done valve work too...it doesn't specify...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
iwanttoemailhim

Thank you, this all sounds like great advice. Do you have any insight to the twin ram or the custom header style intake where they cut off the intake plenum? My understanding is that it improves airflow to the 5/6 cylinders that would normally be starved. I also herd that it isn't needed unless pushing a great amount of power. The Youtube video on the Black Betty project, the guy says that he will get +150 horse not even including port/polishing. Is that actually an increase or will I only notice that power with more fuel, where as the air is no longer the restriction.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 AM
horatio102
Champion

Originally Posted by Jigabop
yeh they can crack 500hp with a programmer, but their egt's are through the roof, and their valve trains and clutches are hurting...

I can hold 500hp+ output for extended durations because my EGT's are hovering 1100-1200* while theirs are at 1600* ready to melt down lol.

and then there is that whole cracked injector and melted piston business... It may take far more mods to make power from my truck, but I love my VP truck common rails for for flat billed nancies.

they are like the new rice. "cold air intake, exhaust, chip, yay i got a race car" pssh.
Meh, my 6.7 rarely saw over 1400 degrees, ran 13 seconds in the 1/4 at 7500 pounds and 60+ psi in the tires. And yeah that was intake, exhaust/deletes, programmer, air dog, and a fuel rail shim.

My 12 valve, though, gets hot if I stay in it more than about 10 seconds. I'm contemplating pulling the #100 fuel plate out and putting the stock one back in to see what that does for me.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My VE pumped 12v never breaks 1200*, moving a lot of fuel and spooling compounds with ease. And I can tune it with a screwdriver

My buddies '08 6.7 though, with nothing but edge tuner, hits 1400* under moderste throttle, i have seen it over 1600*. Yuck.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 05-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 AM
horatio102
Champion

That's probably a difference between Edge's tuning and H&S's. I was really happy with my Black Maxx.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Uncle Meanie
Rookie

I have the Edge Attitude with a K&N drop in and intake debaffle. I towed for the first time last weekend and hit over 1400* a few times. This is pulling a 9000# 5th wheel over Mt. Hood.

I am going to do the exaust deletes and see what happens to the EGT's.
I just hope I don't leave puddles of "RICE" everywhere I go!

I realize that 5" turbo back (no muffler) will flow better and get lower EGT, but is it a huge temp difference from just doing a 4" deletes?
I have a guy that will do the 4" cat/muffler delete for $110.
Kinda hard to pass up a deal like that.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by Uncle Meanie
I have the Edge Attitude with a K&N drop in and intake debaffle. I towed for the first time last weekend and hit over 1400* a few times. This is pulling a 9000# 5th wheel over Mt. Hood.

I am going to do the exaust deletes and see what happens to the EGT's.
I just hope I don't leave puddles of "RICE" everywhere I go!

I realize that 5" turbo back (no muffler) will flow better and get lower EGT, but is it a huge temp difference from just doing a 4" deletes?
I have a guy that will do the 4" cat/muffler delete for $110.
Kinda hard to pass up a deal like that.
no benefit other than sound for 4" vs 5"

I have 5" because I'm running compound twins. my S475 is a T6 platform, so it has a 5" exhaust outlet...I figured why choke it down?! so from that turbo all the way to the tailpipe is all 5"

also you should ditch that K&N filter. One of the worst filters you can run on a turbo diesel...these trucks when tuned suck way too hard on the filter which essentially sucks all of the oil off of them.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Cummins 53