Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2010 2500 Megacab 4x4 with Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013 | 12:00 PM
Jigabop
Champion

I run 2-cycle oil for a fuel additive, however I do NOT recommend that you run 2-cycle in your truck while your emissions controls are still present on the vehicle. It will accelerate your DPF getting clogged up and throw a check engine light.

once you delete the emissions controls you can run 2-cycle oil as a fuel additive to lubricate the injection pump and injectors as well as see a minute fuel economy gain...it's nothing spectacular for fuel economy you will gain maybe .5mpg-1mpg best case scenario.

2-cycle definitely made a big difference in my truck for lubricity. my injection pump got very noticeably quieter from running straight fuel to running 2-cycle oil in the fuel.

next best thing you can run in your truck that is safe for the emissions controls is soy based biodiesel like B5
. It actually has better lubricity properties than 2-cycle oil does.

as for amsoil being expensive: it's not that expensive if you have an account with them which I do... saves me several dollars a quart on oil with the account. like oil @ $9 a quart listed, I get for $7 a quart. when I buy in larger volumes I save more... so when I change my oil I get the 2.5G jug + a 1G jug to give the extra quart and compensate for oil leaks between oil changes.

side note: if you feel the need to use an oil additive, use a zinc additive. it helps combat bearing and cam wear...

Quick Reply: 2010 2500 Megacab 4x4 with Cummins