Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CTD....Which Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006 | 03:34 PM
steved
Rookie
Default RE: CTD....Which Oil?

ORIGINAL: GlenninTexas

Anyone using a by-pass oil filter setup? Pros? Cons? What would you expect to see your oil change frequency with one?

Regards, Glenn
Most guys are having really good results running bypass filters from what I have read...I think most of the guys running them change oil based on oil analysis results.

steved

Old 04-13-2006 | 11:20 PM
49lambert
Rookie

I just change the oil in my 06 CTD. I used Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme. Valvoline says it will increase your MPG. I am averaging 17.80 before the change I will see what happens.

Old 04-15-2006 | 11:02 PM
justalookin
Rookie

DREW,

I heard rumor it is harmful on your engine when you jump to different oil. Is this true or just a rumor?

thanks,

JARED

Old 06-17-2006 | 11:08 AM
carcrz
Rookie

According to a link that someone posted here, Cummins says not to run synthetic oil until after 20K miles.

Old 06-17-2006 | 05:03 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

According to a link that someone posted here, Cummins says not to run synthetic oil until after 20K miles.
Correct. Based on links: one, and two, Cummins does NOT recommend using synthetic oils during the break in period, until about 20,000 miles, on "a new or newly rebuilt engine", "to allow proper seating of the piston rings."
As far as change intervail, as per the Cummins website, when you use CI-4 or CH-4 oils (see my post here, post #2), you can go 15,000 miles on an oil change with the Cummins Ram engine. However, if those are not available, you can use CG-4 oils, but, change intervail will be 7,500 miles.
Of course, changing more often that that will not hurt anything.
I heard rumor it is harmful on your engine when you jump to different oil. Is this true or just a rumor?
Not true.