Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Another dumb question/request

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 AM
joe0121
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dumb question/request

Is there a web site or perhaps one of you fine people that can give me a little crash course in Diesel engine I.E. termonolgy. I understand the concept works of pure compression and the fuel also act as the lube for the Engine but thats about out. What does "Stroked" mean exactly. I'm looking at getting a Diesel truck but I want to go into with a good working knowledge.

p.s. Everyone I asks says the Dodge is the best all around Diesel truck, and that if A chevy would get a decent engine it would be a close second. Is this true and why, dont be affraid to go to much into detail.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:44 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Another dumb question/request

A Diesel engine Uses the heat of compression to ignite fuel. Air is forced into the cylinder where it is then compressed building lots of heat. Almost a topdeadcenter of the compression stroke, fuel is injected into the cylinder either by a nozzle or an injector (more on that later). Because of the high temp of the air when it is compressed, it ignites the fuel. On older (mechanical engines) fuel injection is done by an injection pump, which controls timing and the amount of fuel that is injected into the cylinders through the nozzles. These engines don't need electricity to run. On newer engines, a computor controls timing and fuel through HUI's (hydrolic unit injectors.) The injectors use engine lube oil to pressurize the fuel and an electric seloniod controls when the fuel is injected and how much is injected. The fuel only lubricate the fuel system parts, not the engine. In somecases it is also used to cool the engine ecm. Dodge is the best diesel truck because it has the cummins powerplant. The cummins is an inline 6 cylinder with massive stroke compared to the international (ford) and isuzu (chevy) v8 diesel engines. This is why the cummins engine builds enoughmous torque and has a lower rpm band than the rivals. However there is nothing wrong with the v8 engines, they are more suited to city driving and the cummins is more suited for pulling in my opinion.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:15 PM
joe0121
Professional

Stroke means Displacement???

Old 03-15-2006, 03:38 PM
steved
Rookie

ORIGINAL: joe0121

p.s. Everyone I asks says the Dodge is the best all around Diesel truck, and that if A chevy would get a decent engine it would be a close second. Is this true and why, dont be affraid to go to much into detail.
Actually, GM has a very stout setup with the Izusu engine and Allison tranny...the main drawback most people have about the GM is the lack of a solid front axle. When comparing apples to apples (CRD CTD vs Duramax), they both have about the same issues...mainly injectors. And the Allison is thought to be overall a better tranny than the dodge 48RE...probably the reason dodge is going to the Aisen 6spd auto soon.

steved

Old 03-15-2006, 04:05 PM
dieselram
Captain

ORIGINAL: steved

Actually, GM has a very stout setup with the Izusu engine and Allison tranny...the main drawback most people have about the GM is the lack of a solid front axle. When comparing apples to apples (CRD CTD vs Duramax), they both have about the same issues...mainly injectors. And the Allison is thought to be overall a better tranny than the dodge 48RE...probably the reason dodge is going to the Aisen 6spd auto soon.

steved

I thought the Izusu engine was an aluminum block instead of iron and thats why people are hesitant about it. People also prefer the Cummins because the V style engines have inheirent harmonic vibrations that require balancers.

The Allison is a sweet tranny though, I just saw pics and specs of the new 6spd auto in dieselpower mag. If you're worried about the auto tranny, do what I did and get a manual. The other guys I know with diesels always say, "you're gonna have tranny trouble later" and I just mention my 6spd. The auto tranny seems to be Dodge's weakness, though many on here would debate that.

jakebrake is right, the Dodge is more work truck than the others (good or bad). The engine is build to be much stronger than factory ratings including boost pressure, redline, and hp/tq. Thats why they have a longer duty cycle before the recommended maintenance.

Which injector issue are you talking about? If its the clogging problem, PS additives help a lot.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:26 PM
steved
Rookie

ORIGINAL: dieselram

ORIGINAL: steved

steved

I thought the Izusu engine was an aluminum block instead of iron and thats why people are hesitant about it. People also prefer the Cummins because the V style engines have inheirent harmonic vibrations that require balancers.

The Allison is a sweet tranny though, I just saw pics and specs of the new 6spd auto in dieselpower mag. If you're worried about the auto tranny, do what I did and get a manual. The other guys I know with diesels always say, "you're gonna have tranny trouble later" and I just mention my 6spd. The auto tranny seems to be Dodge's weakness, though many on here would debate that.

jakebrake is right, the Dodge is more work truck than the others (good or bad). The engine is build to be much stronger than factory ratings including boost pressure, redline, and hp/tq. Thats why they have a longer duty cycle before the recommended maintenance.

Which injector issue are you talking about? If its the clogging problem, PS additives help a lot.
The Duramax is an iron block using aluminum heads...they had head issues when they first came out, but they have seemingly since resolved it. And as far as vibrations...my buddy's 05 duramax is smoother than my 04.5 CTD by a long shot..and it rides better onroad, but it bottoms bad as soon as you get into anything rough.

I bought a 6spd too...after four trannies in my 99CTD...you get flustered/paranoid.

The boards I frequent seem to thing the Ford is a better truck short the 6.0 powerstroke...it would be the "best" work truck if it had a CTD in it...I don't agree, I don't think the ford has many advantages over the ram IMHO.

The reason the CTD holds up so well...they are not built stronger for our pickup, they are simply a medium duty truck engine DC put into a pickup...think about the 12 valves...factory 200HP...guys have them (without many mods) doing well over 450HP...the reason the CTD are so durable in a dodge is because they have been detuned from factory...they are most likely only doing about 50% what DC/Cummins can actually make them do...an engine that really isn't strained will last forever. However, you take the same 5.9CTD from a medium duty truck and they have their fair share of mechanical problems.

The injector problem stems from them being electronic these days. Gone are the days of mechanical injectors. Both GM and dodge have had injector issues...I think a lot of it early on was the fact the "chips" were adding too much pressure to the CR and eroding the tips of the injectors...they have since changed how the chips work.

steved

Old 03-16-2006, 03:25 AM
joe0121
Professional

You guys are very helpfull thanks for the insight.

Some more questions with light towing and only being driven to carry light loads and not used as a daily driver what kind of live can I expect from my Engine?

Old 03-16-2006, 11:26 AM
steved
Rookie

You guys are very helpfull thanks for the insight.

Some more questions with light towing and only being driven to carry light loads and not used as a daily driver what kind of live can I expect from my Engine?
I have read guys with over a million miles on their work trucks...I personally had 200k on my 99 and my dad has 235k on his 99...both ran/run like new...both towed and hauled occaisionally...the truck will most likely fall apart around the engine...I purposely loaded my 99 with a 8k trailer and ran the crap out of it to get it to finally break in...at 50k.

My 04.5 is just now starting to breaking in at 72k...you can see it because the mileage will always seem to improve then it will sorta level off...thta means you finally broke in...

steved

Old 03-16-2006, 10:41 PM
joe0121
Professional

Thats insane. I've heard that before but didnt beleive it. When the truck falls apat around the engine I'll just yank it and put it in a car and have a diesel powered sleeper.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats insane. I've heard that before but didnt beleive it. When the truck falls apat around the engine I'll just yank it and put it in a car and have a diesel powered sleeper.

it has been done before. the Cummins engine will last longer then the rest of the truck.

I just have one thing to clear up that jacob has. the Cummins and GM Bosch HPCR engines do not use engine oil to hydraulicaly lift the injectors, this is the way the Ford engines work. the Cummins and Isuzu engines use electrical impulces from the ECM to open the injectors. one of the problems with the Ford 6.0 International-Navistar engine was the oil could froth causeing the injector to fail. this was a common problem with the engines as well as turbo issues and head bolt problems. . .BTW, did you know the 6.oh-no only has 4 head bolts per head

Quick Reply: Another dumb question/request