Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:16 AM
stewtina
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

I had the check engine light come on. I am taking it to the dealer in the morning to find out why its on. It is a 2006 megacab cummins with 3000 miles on it. I'm pretty upset because i reassured myself i was doing right by giving up 2005 king ranch f-350 for this. It seems to run fine no change that is noticeable. The oil was changed 1200 miles ago at 1800 and new exhaust no other changes. Has anyone else encountered this problem. If so what was your diagnoses. i will post mine as soon as i find out

Old 05-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: check engine light

you can pull the code by switching the key on and off three times and it will display the code in the odometer readout.

post it here and we can tell you what it is.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 AM
JOEY

WITH THAT FEW MILES ON IT IT COULD BE A MAJOR ELECTRONIC FAILURE--LIKE ECM FAILURE OR SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS A FUEL CAP LEFT OFF OR LOOSE---LIKE DREW SAID PULL UP THE CODE--MY 04 HAD THE MAIN ECM FAIL AT THE SAME MILAGE AND THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE IT TILL IT FAILED 3 MORE TIMES IN 11 K MILES---BOTTOM LINE PULL UP AND POST THE CODE.MOST I HAVE SPOKEN TO IN THE FIELD SAY THE MAJOR COMPUTER COMPONENTS FAIL IN THE FIRST FEW THOUSAND MILES IF ITS A FACTORY DEFECT--THAN YOU HAVE TO PLAY GAMES BETWEEN DODGE TECH SUPPORT AND THE DEALER TO HAVE A REAL FIX MADE

Old 05-19-2006, 09:32 PM
stewtina
Veteran

i had it checked it was only a software update and no problems. The truck has so far given me a best of 21.2 who knows maybe it will get better it only has 4000 miles on it. thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your getting 21 at 4K your doing good. and yes, mileage will only get better

Old 05-21-2006, 12:16 PM
JOEY

LOOK AT THE DEALERS REPAIR SHEET AND TELL US WHAT THE REPAIR AND FAULT WAS TO BEGIN WIT.ONLY REASON I ASK IS IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME EXACT B/S THAT HAPPENED TO ME 3 TIMES BEFORE THEY FINALLY AUTHORIZED A ECM REPLACEMENT.--I HAD A CODE PO66 I BELIEVE--WHICH WAS CRITICAL INTERNAL FAILURE IN THE ECM.THEY SAID IT WAS A SOFTWARE PROGRAMING ISSUE--AND REPROGRAMMED THE SOFTWARE 3 TIMES IN 11 K MILES--BEFORE THEY WERE GIVEN PERMISSION BY DODGE TECH SUPPORT TO REPLACE THE COMPUTER--MEANWHILE I WAS SHUT DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE 3 TIMES-AND I PULLED UP THE FAULT CODE PRINTED IT OUT AND GAVE IT TO THE DEALER WHO AGREED IT WAS A BAD ECM--BUT SAID THEY ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO REPLACE EXPENSIVE COMPONENTS UNLESS SOMEONE IN TECH SUPPORT IN ANOTHER STATE SAYS OK--ALL B/S AND I CALLED CHRYSLER TO COMPLAIN AND THEY SAID THEY HAD NO RECORD THAT IT FAILED AND WAS REPROGRAMED 3 TIMES--THIS WITH THE DEALER SHOWING ME THE PAPERWORK THEY TRANSMITTED TO DODGE TECH SUPPORT 3 TIMES FOR THE SAME PROBLEM--GOOD LUCK AS ITS A GREAT TRUCK OTHER THAN THAT PROBLEM.I HAVE A 2004 2500 5 SPEED STICK BY THE WAY---AND I WAS A MECHANIC AND AM A GOOD TROUBLE SHOOTER --THATS WHAT MADE IT MORE FRUSTRATING

Old 05-22-2006, 01:37 AM
stewtina
Veteran

i will check paperwork thanks

Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

Stew,

I too have a '06 (2500) Mega cab and also had the exact same thing happen at about the exact same time (3K). Took it in, reprogrammed the ECM and voila! No more issues. I'm about 10K now and have hit 20.5 as a best MPG.

Now I don’t want to start any any Dodge / Cummins vs. the rest arguments but how does that 6 cylinder CTD fair in power and MPG vs. your previous 8 cylinder?

Also how’s the overall package comparison (King Ranch vs. Laramie) of the two trucks?

One last thing, what exhaust did you go with?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:05 AM
stewtina
Veteran

First off there is no comparison (sorry to say) the KR hands down. We didn't go with the laramie we felt we didn't need bells and whistles and more money to upgrade later we also are going to try and score a new superbee. Here in Texas we are able to run straight pipe so I did just like the KR more drone but we have gotten used to it. We are heading to the mountains tomorrow with a trailer load of atv's and are ringing back some firewood (have to start looking towards winter). I will let enquiring minds know concerning gas mileage.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:49 PM
mdeps

Hi newbie here, I have a 2006 3500, I have had a check engine light come on at 400 mi. 2600 mi. and 5000 mi. I have an SLT auto with Jake installed. Finally after my dealer called STAR this is what they said, that there is a new software update that came out about 2 weeks ago, they flashed my ECM with new update and so far every thing is good that was about 1600 mi. ago. It never did run bad just that anoying light. By the way the codes were PO111, and PO91, hope this helps.

Quick Reply: check engine light