Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
boostyme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Question

I have a 06 ctd and I am ready to change the oil. Question, The manual says that only to use API Service CI-4, with a sulfate ash content of 1.85% mass.....How and the H@!! am I going to know that?....I have never seen that posted on a bottle before. I have seen API service and low sulfated ash content for Gas engines never diesel.

I guess, what is the oil ya'll are using.....Was a penzoil guy but can change if I need to.
And are you kidding me......12 quarts of oil for a oil change????

Anyhow, thanks for the help.....and dont be afraid to post something, dont be just a voyeur!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil Question

Pennzoil makes a Diesel oil. that meets those specs (PDF, look on page 3)
Mobil makes their syntehtic in Syntehtic form. (and recommends some of their dyno oil, but, does not meet CI-4)
I've heard a lot of people use Shell Rotella oil. Their multigrade oil meets this spec (PDF), as does their sythetic (PDF). Their single grade (PDF) does not meet CI-4, but their Synthetic blend (PDF) grades 10W-30 and 10W-40 do. The Rotella products main page is HERE.
Yea... if there is another oil you would like to use, just vist the makes site, and they typically have some kind of a product sheet, or a tech sheet you can view.
As far as the 12 quarts, sucks doesn't it? (But hey, you don't have to change it eveyr 3,000) 12 gallons go into each of the engines on our planes though.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:11 PM
boostyme
Rookie

Thanks Man!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you get an oil that is for diesel engines you'll be fine.

mobil delo 400 here, about to make the switch to AMSoil

Old 05-25-2006, 01:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

as long as you get an oil that is for diesel engines you'll be fine.

mobil delo 400 here, about to make the switch to AMSoil

Drew, when you make the switch are you going to be able to tell if there is a mpg change? I'm curious since all of the motors i've used synthetics on in the past all had mpg increases with synthetic and they all ran smoother overall. It would be nice to get back to the 18's again (currently 16~16.5 mpg w/22k miles)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1508/1DA8D24BE1DC407B8C40F00CA6C3F93B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Drew
Professional

I'll certianly let you know.

the last oil change I did on my yoda I put in AMSoil. right off I did notice a change in the engine and it did run a bit different. the oil that was in it before was a mobil synthetic, and I could tall a difference there as well, but I could tell another difference with AMSoil in it.

I dont track fuel mileage on my yoda like I do my ram, but I do seem to go the same time period on a little less fuel

Old 05-25-2006, 02:28 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

Why not have a C-D dealer do the change? They're often about the same $$ as a Jiffy Lube, and then they have the liability for using the right oil...(and you and C-D have a record of it)

My motorhome with a Cummins uses twice as much oil every change!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I do not go to the Dealer [:'(]because it cost more for them to change it than what Mills Fleet Farm charges me. One good reason to use synthetics is the increase of mpg and it will cut down on the wear in the engine and that equals longer engine life. To me longer engine life equals better ROI.

As for getting the correct API oil I assume a person can read the bottle to see if the oil meets the API CI-4 oil that is required for the CTD and if not then I would say let the dealer pick your cheap oil and filter for you. My self I want an oil filter that will do its job better than what is required my Cummins and it’s not a Fram or Mopar filter. As long as you can prove the date you changed the oil and what the mileage was this meets warranty requirements.

Just remember the old saying you get what you pay for, dealership is not always better when it comes to oil & filter.

IMHO and my $0.02 worth

Old 05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Drew
Professional

I can change the oil and fuel filter myself for $30. why would I pay DC nearly $175 to do the same, plus I know I did it right and not worrying if this 17 year old kid who thinks he knows how double gasket the thing, forget to fill the filter with a quart and burn the turbo up, and forget and dump in 5 quarts instead of the 3 gallons it takes to fill the pan.

I am my own warranty station

Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Shadow Caster
Rookie

I will have to agree with you DREW. I just bought my new 06 diesel and I got lifetime free oil changes from the dealer but I think that I am gonna change it myself anyway b/c I like to use Rotella Oil and Fleetguard filters. That is all I ever used in my 02 diesel and I never had any problems. I am considering maybe switching to a synthetic oil though. Now as far as filling the filter I am not so sure that that old addage is true. I am a dieel mechanic by trade. I work on and rebuild the big diesels as well as the small for a living. I have always been taught by the instructors that taught me to rebuild engines that it is ok not to fill the filter before installation and some even recommended not to do it but if we did to fill it around the outside holes and not to dump it in the middle hole that way it could filter the oil as it went in to the filter. The reason for not needing to fill the filter is because there is enough oil laying in the engine and components that it will not hurt anything to start it without the filter being full. I guess it is just personal preference though as to which you do. They recommend that if the engine has sit for like 5 days or longer then start it and let it run to make sure oil gets to eeverything before you change the oil. By the way a caterpillar dealer or (my instructor there) told me about not filling the filter. Anyway this is just my .02.

Quick Reply: Oil Question