Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DIY Maintenance: Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 03:27 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Maintenance: Fuel Filter

good luck. may your fuel system prime on the first try, and be leak free for the life of your truck. If you have any problems, you know where to come.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:46 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

We know that you can do it, even with out help. I think you just want someone to talk to while you do it [8D]
Do let us know how it went for ya.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DBLR

We know that you can do it, even with out help. I think you just want someone to talk to while you do it [8D]
Do let us know how it went for ya.
I WAS all filled with confidence until I got to the part about having to bleed the injector lines or something. I'd like someone with a LITTLE more experience watching over me as I tackle it for the first time.

( Maybe for the last time if I wind up with that FASS system. )

Old 10-22-2006, 03:25 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Can we assume you did not have to crack a injector line and all went well? Also do you have a spin on or a cartridge type fuel filter?

Old 10-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Don't assume anything yet, I'm leaving in about an hour to go do the job.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

You need to be thinking I can do it with out any problems and all will go just fine.

You should be thinking I know I can, I know I can.

Good Luck,
Charles

Old 10-23-2006, 04:14 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Well ... it's done and I'm happy to report that everything went fine. As a matter of fact, everything went better than fine.

I was panicking, but I was prepared. I first undid some sort of sensor thing-a-ma-bob at the bottom of the fuel filter. Then I moved the lever over to the drain side and stuff started pouring out of the hose. I quickly closed the drain valve, got myself a drain pan, put it under the truck, and once again opened the valve.

oops ....

After doing that, I loosened the nut on top ( I think it's a 14mm ) and I kept turning and turning and turning. I was starting to think that I had done something wrong. I decided to push down on the filter and WA-LA, it came off !!

EWWWWWWWWW !!!

That filter inside of that housing was NASTY !!!

I pulled it out and cleaned the inside of the bowl thingy. I then grabbed the new filter. One thing I DID notice was that my old filter had elongated holes on the plastic top piece whereas my new filter just had slits. Also, my new filter seemed a bit larger. I don't know what kind it was or where it came from as my father gave me two of them when I bought the truck from him. I'll hafta ask him.

Anyway ...

I was a bit nervous about the filter being different, but there was no way I was putting the old one back in so I decided to try it and see how it goes. The new filter came with two new o-rings that I slipped on. I then filled the bowl up halfway with diesel fuel and sat the new filter in there and let it soak it up. I pulled the filter, filled the bowl all the way, and sat the filter in there until fuel came out of the top.

It was ready !!

I put the filter bowl back under the nut thingy, pushed it up, and tightened the nut up until snug. I then re-attached the plug thing at the bottom and re-routed the drain hose to somewhere where it looked like it wasn't going to get in trouble.

Now the moment I was worried about.

I turned the key, and bumper the starter.

buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .... it seemed to last for almost a minute

bump it again .... buzzzzzzzzzzzz

I did this about 5 times before I decided to turn the key and try to start it. I let it crank for about 5 seconds the first time, and then shut it off. Turn the key again, buzzzzz, waited and then cranked away. I tried this about another 5 times cranking for probably 10 seconds max. After still not having it start, I decided to have my friend come over and take a look and help me out with the cracking of the injectors thing.

I was panicking ....

He was able to help me out about 15 of so mintues later and he wanted me to try and start it one more time. I turned the key and VAROOM .... it fired right up !!! I let it run for about 10 minutes before I had the cajones to shut it down, let it sit for a minute and try it again. Everything was fine. I never had to crack anything. I don't know if it was luck, timeing, or what but the truck fired right up. It didn't smoke at all, didn't hesitate, shutter, nothing, it just fired right up.

WHOO HOO !!!!

Since I had some extra time and since everything went so well I decided to clean my K&N air filter again. I had just cleaned it at 100,000 but MAN was it dirty again !! I don't know why, but I'm glad I cleaned it.

My truck now runs like a dream. I have no doubt that I'll be seeing some better fuel mileage for sure. I bought the truck with 60 some thousand miles on it and I had never changed my fuel filter once. I now have almost 108,000. I'm thinking that now that I have an idea of how to change my fuel filter that I'll now change it every other oil change. Can't hurt right?

Thanks again guy's for all of your help and tips !! If any of you can shed some light as to why I was so lucky with the starting thing I AM curious.

Thanks again !!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Glad to hear all went well for you. We all knew you could do it!! It was a good idea to fill the fuel canister, some thing I had not though of doing when I did mine. But then I guess I'm much braver than you

If you keep this up you might become a junior wrench puller and keep Drew on his toes

Charles

Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I couldn't remember if pre-filling the canister was reccomended or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Any thoughts as to why my truck fired right up after sitting?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:34 PM
HeavyD
Professional

Drew , great write up, Now I have to go out and get mine changed ASAP. going to order the filter today

Quick Reply: DIY Maintenance: Fuel Filter