Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DIY Maintenance: 05 & later grease fitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Maintenance: 05 & later grease fitting

Guess I will pull the jack out today and try and see if it gives me more room[&:] One other question I too have the NAPA tool would it be easier if I attach it to my flex hose?

Why they ever used this type of fitting on the front drive shaft at the transfer case with the trans cross member in the way to me is stupid, but what do I know I just make payments the thing[&o]. Who ever came up with this type of grease fitting[:@] must of had been on some good drugs.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:21 PM
cj5nutz

That flex hose is your only chance at getting it... Its in a badddddd place, facing the wrong direction.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:21 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Bad is a nice word for the location of this fitting. I'm not even sure if I got any grease in it or not. Was thinking of letting Dodge grease it and ask if I can see how and what they use to get at it.

Charles

Old 07-07-2006, 03:15 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default Shocking

Yes I know I’m replying to my own post but felt everyone who has had his or her truck in to the dealer for service should know about this.

I made the mistake and went to the dealer to have them change my oil and filter and also to see what they used to grease the front U joint and not give DC any excuse it had not been done, that and I did not feel up to laying on my back on the concrete floor.

The dumb[] Mechanic who also was doing its 90 day check on the underside did not even know there was one in the front drive line, I had to tell the guy who was pouring in the oil on top about it and show him the sticker on the front of the truck, the look [>:]on his face said he thought I was full of it. Heck the dumb @55 Mechanic did not believe us and asked the guy on top to show him the picture, (as we know he could not as it is attached to the truck), as he could not find it at first. Thought I was going to have to get under it in the pit with him to show him where it was.

The one oil guy who I later found out had been there for about 6 months had never been told that the 05 and 06 4x4 had grease fitting in the front driveline. The sad part is I wonder how many trucks will have this joint fail because it did not get greased when this person serviced it. I now have loads of confidence in this dealer, NOT.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shocking

I used to work for a short period as a grease monkey at a used car dealership (Auto Nation USA) then went on to other repairs in the shop, anyway, some of the guys they find to handle the oil changes realy disturbed me as to how messy they were when it came to changing the oil. some how they would find a way to squirt half a quart over the engine from the despenser gun. one guy some how found a way to top off the tranny in a ford taurus with 10w-30. . .he was fired without pay and I had the joy of flushing the tranny[:@]

Old 07-07-2006, 07:34 PM
maypearl

Does this apply only to 4X4's? I have just bought an 06 2500 Quad Cab CTD 4x2.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 AM
DodgeBro

Thanks for the picture Drew. I crawled under my rig last weekend and looked for it agian, but from your picture I see that the grease point is on the back side of the driveline yoke. Thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: maypearl

Does this apply only to 4X4's? I have just bought an 06 2500 Quad Cab CTD 4x2.
only 4x4's so your ok.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:52 PM
maypearl

Thanks Drew. One less thing to do...

Old 07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
gametrail

I have a 06 3500 4x4 with 40,000. The dealer always told me there was no place.[:@] Now I find out there is.[] If i have to do this every 4,000 miles, it will be weekly. That will suck bad. Can it be replaced with something else?

Quick Reply: DIY Maintenance: 05 & later grease fitting