Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DIY Maintenance: 05 & later grease fitting

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Quig19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gametrail
I have a 06 3500 4x4 with 40,000. The dealer always told me there was no place.[:@] Now I find out there is.[] If i have to do this every 4,000 miles, it will be weekly. That will suck bad. Can it be replaced with something else?
there is a way to replace this zerk fitting but it will cost U ....a doulbe cardone joint uses this zerk fitting to grease or lubricate the ball inside of the plate the two u-joints are joined to.... the only way to replace this is getting a new shaft made up with the zerk fittings in the end of the u-joint caps and a new cross plate with two fittings... A new shaft usually runs around $400-$600... I always replace the front shaft with this style when (my company) gets new trucks in with the factory style or replace it when the shaft explodes on some of my older trucks....

Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 AM
mk357

What is up with the dealerships? It can't be that hard to do this if they have the truck up on the rack and they have equiptment and we are willing to pay them to do our maintenance. I have an 2006 3/4 ton 4x4 hemi with 24,000 miles. I have asked them twice about these fittings and they say some trucks have them and some trucks don't and that mine doesn't. I can't see them on mine either but they must be there ?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
wayne6061

thanks drew big help........ i ask the dealer were this fitting was they told me that it was not there

Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Bill3kirk
Default Napa part # for grease fitting

Anyone have the Napa part # for this? The link below is invalid now.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 PM
utah_biker
Default The Needle

I got my last grease injector needle at Advanced Auto Parts. The part number is 05-037/W54213. It's an 18 gauge needle attached to a zerk. I still have problems with the zerk separating from the needle when I pull it off the gun. However I found the one from Advanced Auto parts is much less prone to separation. I've broken a few but managed to get 5 or 6 lube jobs done with the last one. Not a big deal since I'm maintaining only one truck, mine. And at least they are fairly cheap at ~$4.00.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional

I wasn't going to look at this post but glad i did! never new it was there! 179,000 miles and never greased it, better do that soooooon! Thanks Drew

Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
SmilingDon

I had so much trouble getting to this fitting, that I removed the front drive shaft to get a better shot at it. After putting it back together again, I discovered that I could more easily slide the needle under the rubber boot from the back, and fill the area under the boot. Does anyone know if this would be as effective at keeping the joint properly lubricated? It sure is easier than going through the fitting.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 PM
utah_biker
Default under the boot

I haven't tried under the boot. I'm afraid it might not put the grease all places it should flow in the joint, but I'm not sure. It sure is a pain though. I found that the driver side approach discussed earlier in this thread works pretty good. I've also been able to get at it from the other side if I rest the grease gun on my chest and angle the hose properly. You need a light to see. I have a flexible hose on my gun so it's not too bad. Also my gun is the kind with the single hand pump like this: http://catalog.ehgriffith.com/images/GreaseGun.jpg This setup lets me get at it as easy as possible. I'm a skinny man also, so it's easy to get in tight places and position so I can see things. I feel sorry for any decent sized man trying to mess with this getting all wadded up under the truck. Dodge should have designed this better. The thing I worry about is getting stabbed by the needle in the eye or something. Anyhow, I would try to get the grease to go in the fitting. If the fitting was not needed I expect they would not have included it. Hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
mathmann
Default ?? re: possible angled needle injector

I'm a newbie here, so first ..... thanks to all for the info above. I wondered if there wasn't a better needle out there to help reduce the frustration of this task. (Full disclosure: I have not yet even attempted lubing this point, so I'm seeking preemptive advice from those who have.) I found some angled needles available from McMaster-Carr. (www.mcmaster.com) If you search GREASE INJECTOR NEEDLES, an interesting assortment comes up. They offer 17, 18 and 20 guage needles, in both 45 and 90 degree angles.

Here's my question (to those of you who have already dealt with this) ..... which (if any) of these needles might make this task easier? Intelligent responses are greatly appreciated. (Stupid responses are accepted too.)

Try this link to go straight to the needle injectors: http://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-needles/=en7pa8

Last edited by mathmann; 10-25-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: updated link

Quick Reply: DIY Maintenance: 05 & later grease fitting