Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

BRAKE and ABS lights on 97 2500, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:48 AM
cTak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKE and ABS lights on 97 2500, HELP

So I got my parents truck to work on. They use it once and a while to tow things and what not. They used it last weekend to tow a camper, parked it over the weekend with the e-brake on, come home, and now the BRAKE and ABS lights are on.

Its a 97 2wd 2500 Cummings turbo

Where do I start to fix this? Is there a way to check the ECU or ABS ECU for codes? Anyone know what 'usually' happens?

The fluid level is ok, there are no leaks, the E-Brake works and disengages just fine.

Thanks for the help!!

-Brian

Old 06-27-2006, 07:19 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie
Default RE: BRAKE and ABS lights on 97 2500, HELP

Apparently this is a common problem with the Dodge trucks. You need to replace the speed sensor located on the rear end. Cost about $30 and takes 15-20 minutes to do.

Do some searches in the various subforums under Dodge trucks and you'll find more info.

Regards, Glenn

Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
zach_deerefan

Our work truck is a 97 dodge ram 3500 w/ CTD, and the it does the same thing, the speedo, and odometer seem to work fine? and some days the lights are on and others they're not? had it to dodge several times they can't seem to figure it out. i guess for 30 bucks its worth a try, can you get the sensor at an auto parts store? thanks

Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 PM
cTak

Yea guess I'll give that a try too.

Everything else works fine, speedo works, odometer works, cruise works too.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:58 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

The speed sensors are only available through the Dodge/Crlser dealers parts department.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:38 PM
cTak

It is called a rear abs sensor correct?

I went to the dealer and all the other stuff wasn't the same as the part I see sticking out of the top of the rear end, we finally decided it was a rear abs sensor. It was like $48 and they had to order it would be a few days.

I need this fixed asap, I just stopped at the local bumper to bumper for the hell of it, they will have one for me tommorrow morning for $45. I'll carefully try that, if that don't fix it, I will return it with the excuse "this aint the right part for mah truk, it dun fit"

(crossin my fingers on this one)

Also, how do you get that sensor out? I took the metal bracket off, but the sensor is still stuck in there, does it thead out? or just pop out?

Old 06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

Mine took a bit of coaxing to get out as well, it is not threaded, just a tight press fit. a little wd-40 or penetrating oil might help. If I remember correctly I used a pair of channel locks to pursuade the rascal out.

Good luck, Glenn

Old 06-29-2006, 06:29 PM
cTak

GlenninTexas, thanks for the help!

I ordered what was called a 'rear abs sensor' from Bumper To Bumper for about $40 last night, I installed it this morning, and the ABS and BRAKE lights are OFF! woohoo!

Kinda hard to get up above the rear end with the exhaust/gas tank/drive shaft and spare tire in the way, but I got er dun after I soaked that bugger with some PB blaster.

Thanks again!

Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 AM
zach_deerefan

oreily has them for $31.95 mine should be here tomorrow hope it it takes care of the lights

Quick Reply: BRAKE and ABS lights on 97 2500, HELP