Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:19 PM
zram2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust recomendations

I like the price on the magnaflows, only down side for my 2002 was a 3.5" downpipe into a 4" system. Might check to see if they have full 4" for your truck. Don't know if it would make that much difference/possibly help on low end torque? Probably why I'm still looking.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I wonder if they don't continue to use the 3" downpipe to help with the restriction thing since the muffler is straight thru design? They've gotta be doing it for SOME reason. I can't imagine them just using 3" in order to cut costs.

Whadda ya think ?

Old 08-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Flent
Rookie

the MBRP in the mirror finish has a lifetime warrenty and comes with a tip. The other options have smaller warrenty and do not come with a tip.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Hey Flent,

Click on that Magnaflow link that I posted a few up. The Performance exhaust also comes with both a lifetime warranty and a chrome tip. Believe it or not I may wind up painting the tip with a high heat flat black anyway. I haven't seen it before and I think it might look kinda cool.

Now that you know that BOTH systems have the same warranty and tip, which one would you go with, or is there another that I should be looking at. I'm still curious about the 3" downtube though. I'm wondering if it isn't 3" at the turbo anyway. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? I'm still curious about the sensor thing as well.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:24 AM
tbuster1002

Here is something for you and inexpensive. tatke the cat and the muffler out and goto your local Peterbuilt or other Big Truck parts center and purchase a resonator to tkae the place of the muffler. You will get the same grrrowl as bigger exhausts and increase flow.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:42 PM
NJ Diesel
Rookie

I have a 99 24V and this spring at 110,000 miles the rear of the muffler gave out. I put a MBRP 4" system on from the turbo back. It was about a 2 hour job removing the old system and hooking up the new one. I went on Ebay and found about 4 suppliers then called them up and worked out a deal off-line. I can't remember the name of the one I bought from but instead of the chrome tip, he waived the shipping. It arrived within 3 days. No resonator, so it's alittle louder inside, but really sounds like a diesel at the pipe. But it really opened up the motor and let it breathe. All the hangers, clamps & even new turbo bolts were included. It was about $450.00 USD. The stock muffler, 2 clamps and a tailpipe from the dealer would have been $380.00, go figure.......I went for the regular stainless steel......there are no inline sensors on mine...it's my understanding that Dodge Cummins did not come with Cat's until 2003.5....MBRP is a straight through muffler, full 4" pipes.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Mayfair
Legend

T buster - I'm not looking for a "louder" truck, or even to change the sound at all, I'm looking to replace the exhaust for two reasons ... One because my tailpipe fell out ( just like yours NJ ) and Two, to let the enginge breathe a little better and hopefully get better mileage.

NJ - Your tailpipe story cracked me up. That's exactly what happened to me. I stop at one stop sign, and everything's fine. I stop at the next, and as I pull away it sounds like ( in the words of Eddie Murphy ) someone shoved a bananna up my tailpipe. Sure enough, the tailpipe took a dump for the second time. It happened before, but last time I was able to replace just the tailpipe. I was going to replace the muffler as well, but when I was told that the muffler was 400 smacks, I decided to try and make due with what I had. Even if I had to resort the the old soup can trick, I wasn't shelling out 400 clams for a muffler. Some kinda biological gene in my body just won't allow it. LOL

I'm gonna crawl around the truck a bit today. I'm gonna take a good look at the exhaust, as well as try and figure out the whole fuel filter change thing ( see the discussion between Drew and I at the top of the forums about fuel filter changing ) Hopefully it'll be as easw as Drew makes it look, but I'm not optimistic. LOL

Any other exhausts or reccomendations ?

Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
usafr
All Star

I still have the factory muffler from my 2006 in the garage, if anyone wants it, lemme kow.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

I'm unsure if your truck has a cat, it may or may not.
I crawled under my truck over the weekend and yes, my truck does have a cat on it. I also looked, and it does not have a sensor of any kind screwed into the exhaust so I'm cool there. I've taken pics if you want to see. I'll post them as soon as I can. Perhaps I can do a before and after thing and have it posted in the DIY section huh? I forgot to measure the diameter comming off of the turbo, but it could be 3".

Any new recomendations?

Old 08-21-2006, 02:38 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

get rid of it... (the cat).

Quick Reply: Exhaust recomendations