Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust recomendations

Ok, here is what I'm dealing with.

First is the tail :

Next is the muffler :

Next you'll see the entire run including the dredded cat :

Grrrrr ....
I tried to upload them all, but for whatever reason it won't let me. Say's file is too large. They're all in my profile pics. Click on the camera thingy below my name to see them all.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/21F843F5153C4EECB849B3B0EDD9D88E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/A75E7F3943F04B229D009C7B4F4EFAE0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Hey guy's I found this on Ebay. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Exh...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I remember Drew recomending the 4" ( thanks again Drew !! ) but I was wondering if 5" is better of if it's overkill.

Check it out ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Exh...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend

KRI-KEE'S !!!! [:-]

SIX inch !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BULLY...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-22-2006, 08:51 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

anything bigger than 4" is overkill for a motor that's ~450 hp or less and you'll loose low end torque & mpg at the same time.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Thanks Steve !!

I'll call the guy with the 4" tomorrow.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:49 AM
BlkRam69
Professional

Mayfair,

I must say that I have not had my truck long enough to actually warrent a new exhaust but none the less I replaced mine anyways!

I mentioned in another post that if I had it all to do again I would just replace the muff. but it appears as though you are in a diff. boat.

This is just my opinion so feel free to dissagree but when it comes to the after market exhuasts (in my exp / oppinion) it really comes down to 3 things.

1. Added HP
2. Lower EGTs
3. Sound

#1 seems to be what the manufacturers are all tryin to sell us.

#2 is what the haulers (weekend warriors and contract movers alike) are most interested and benifit most from, and

#3 Sound - This combined with #1 is why the rest of us replace a perfectly good exhuast before its time.

I chose to replace mine becouse of #3. The CTD and the turbo really lets people know I'm on my way and the exhuast reminds them that the CTD is a power plant to be reconned with after I'm gone!

I really like the sound and who doesnt want extra HP. That combined with the programmer / chip combo I added I felt the free flowing exhuast was prudent.

Now again IMO the 5" was not the application for my truck. The 4" would have been just fine but I fell for the HP hype and lost some low end power when I had it installed. (which I solved adding a chip)

As far as cab noise from what I've read here and elsewhere (and exp.!) the "drone" in the cab is not so much from a 3.5, 4, 5, or even 6" exhaust but from the muff.

The sound from my MBRP muff that came with my (turbo back exhuast) was enough to cause me to loath the long trips. Dont even ask me what it was like without the CAT!!! (which I put back on)

As others have said I think the 4" best suits your application as it will: 1. reduce your EGT's and 2. let your CTD breath a little better easier (more HP and/or bet. mileage?).

As far as #3 goes, its up to you. Whether its a single or duals (cool!) with the a free flowing muff your truck will sound great. It was the noise (inside the cab) that made me buy the Aero Turbine.

I hope my obbsession with aftermarket HP (for good or bad) helps you with you decision.

Good luck!!

Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 AM
usafr
All Star

I second that,,, 4" with Aero Turbine. I changed out my original freeflow b/c of the noise (in cab drone), and not to mention the low end that I lost with it,, which was regained with the Aero. Later Im thinking of doing some experiementing with two Aeros in place of the cat, which should (by theory) cancel some of the extra noise produced by the loss of the cat. ( the more that I drink, the more that I get anti tree-hugging device crap). But thats my little addition to the grand scheme of things.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: BlkRam69

Mayfair,

The sound from my MBRP muff that came with my (turbo back exhuast) was enough to cause me to loath the long trips. Dont even ask me what it was like without the CAT!!! (which I put back on)

It was the noise (inside the cab) that made me buy the Aero Turbine.

I hope my obbsession with aftermarket HP (for good or bad) helps you with you decision.

Good luck!!

WOW Blk thanks a lot for your input / suggestions !! The only reason that I was going to replace the entire exhaust was because the tailpipe rotted out of the muffler. The dealer wanted almost $400.00 for a new muffler, and MBRP was selling an entire exhaust for damn near the same price. The truck has a little over 100K on it so eventually the rest of the exhaust is going to go, so why not now? I also thought that by replacing the exhaust and eliminating the cat that maybe I'd pick up and extra mpg or two. That's pretty much the only reason why the entire exhaust switch. I've never had a problem with the exhaust sound until now ( without the tailpipe ).

Now you've got me thinking again ....

The Magnaflow exhaust that I was talking about earlier was a 4" exhaust, however it continues to use the 3" downpipe. Do you think it's to help out with the noise factor?

I guess I'm back to my original question and why this topic was created in the first place. Based on a guy who has a tailpipe rotted out of a muffler on a truck with 100K on it with original exhaust but never had a problem with the sound, what kind of exhaust would you recommend? Not looking to make it any louder ( I kinda like the sound of the CTD anyway ) but if I can pick up and extra mpg or two would be great !!

THANKS a lot guy's for your help here !!

Also .... both you and usaf mentioned something about an Aero Turbine .... what the heck is that?

Old 08-23-2006, 05:50 PM
usafr
All Star

Aero Turbine is a brand of exhaust muffler. I'ts not like any free flow that I've seen before. They make a couple of different applications. I originally cut off the stock muffler and added a freeflow ($100 mistake,, was TOOOOO loud), then replaced that with the Aero Turbine 4040xl, which has a built in resonator. If all you want is factory exhaust, I've still got my factory muffler (brand new) in the garage, if you'll pay for the shipping, I'll give it to you. Just get yourself some 4" pipe, pipe it in and your done.

Quick Reply: Exhaust recomendations