Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust recomendations

I asked this question in the wrong forum ( 2nd gen ) and they recomended that I ask here, so here I go.

I've got a 98 Ram with the 24 valve turbo diesel with a little over 100 K on it. My tailpipe just fell out of my muffler ( grrrrrr ) so I'm thinking about re-doing the whole she-bang from the manifold back. Any recomendations as far as what type of set up to go with?

Thanks in advance !!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:42 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Exhaust recomendations

I have an old MBRP with a true 4 inch downpipe, and then 5 inch after the bend. No air freshener, no muff, just a small resonator. It growls thru town.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Drew
Professional

right now your truck has a 3.5 inch comeing off the turbo. if you go to a 4 inch your egt's will drop dramaticaly, your turbo will spool much quicker and sooner. and overall engine performance will be better. MBRP makes a good system, so does bully dog. if your gunna replace the whole system I would ditch the 3.5 inch and go full 4 inch from the turbo.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:26 PM
usafr
All Star

Drew, On my 06 the "air freshner" (I love that one) is clamped in place and not welded. I'm gonna go by the shop today and get a piece of 4" pipe cut to length and bent to fit, and then put it on myself. I add this b/c with the clamps I can take it on and off when I want. I like the sound, but just don't want it when I have to take a several hour trip.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

right now your truck has a 3.5 inch comeing off the turbo. if you go to a 4 inch your egt's will drop dramaticaly, your turbo will spool much quicker and sooner. and overall engine performance will be better. MBRP makes a good system, so does bully dog. if your gunna replace the whole system I would ditch the 3.5 inch and go full 4 inch from the turbo.
MBRP ... is that the name of the manufacturer ??

Is this exhaust system available through Geno's ?

When you guy's mention an "air freshner ", are you refering to the cat converter? ( Go easy on me, I'm the new guy !! LOL ) Are you guy's eliminating the use of a cat converter entirely and just running from the manifold down to a muffler and then through the tailpipe?

Old 08-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Drew
Professional

I'm unsure if your truck has a cat, it may or may not. mine HAD one and cat's on diesels is just a complete joke. Compression ignition engines are more environment friendly and do not produce the levels of NOx that gassers do. besides, your truck cruseing down the road at 65mph is putting out less polution than your standard camp fire.

MBRP is the manufacturer of the exhaust and it should be mandrel bent and will flow nicely. the entire exhaust from the turbo back to the tail pipe is what I'm refering to. Geno's only sells muffler delete pipes and there is a slight difference between the 02 and older exhaust and the 03 to newer.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Where can I get this 4" exhaust system?

Old 08-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Drew
Professional

you can go to Diesel Performance Parts put in your year truck, 98.5 and they have 13 different systems from MBRP.

6 inch stacks always look good on 2nd gens

Old 08-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I've been doing some poking around since asking this question. I checked out MB's site as well as Magnaflow's site. ( http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=Diesel&id=302 ) Both systems seem similar, but I kinda like the way Magnaflow's mufflers are straight thru.

Any pro's or cons to either system?

It looks like they're all priced pretty much the same. Also, do you see any reason why I'd want to go with the mirror finish and not just go with a stainless one? My truck isn't a show truck by any means, but if it will help it perform better or last longer then I can understand / justify the purchase.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

6 inch stacks always look good on 2nd gens

LOL ... Dude those stacks are REDICULOUS !!!!!

Isn't there a spot somewhere in the exhaust where a sensor screws in or something? I don't see that spot on any of the systems I've seen so far.

Quick Reply: Exhaust recomendations