Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006 | 06:36 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend
Default RE: Exhaust recomendations

ORIGINAL: usafr

Aero Turbine is a brand of exhaust muffler. I'ts not like any free flow that I've seen before. They make a couple of different applications. I originally cut off the stock muffler and added a freeflow ($100 mistake,, was TOOOOO loud), then replaced that with the Aero Turbine 4040xl, which has a built in resonator. If all you want is factory exhaust, I've still got my factory muffler (brand new) in the garage, if you'll pay for the shipping, I'll give it to you. Just get yourself some 4" pipe, pipe it in and your done.
WOW .... Thanks a lot for the offer !!

I think however that I'm starting to think about ditching the whole exhaust replacement thing in favor of just an Aero Turbine muffler since I JUST bought the tailpipe that I'm using now. Besides, it would probably be an easier install since I can get the Turbine muffler that fits right into my existing set up. My Turbine would be the 3535XL ( 3 1/2" ) whereas you guy's went with the larger 4040XL ( 4" ).

Make sense, or am I spinning my wheels again?

Also ... should I dump the cat while I'm under there or let it be. I'm looking to open things up a bit and let things breathe better, but I definately don't want to have the "drone" sound tha you guy's mentioned as trips from Philly to Florida are done about twice a year towing my bike trailer.

I'm up for pretty much anything ( combo wise ) to be honest with you. I love these forums and the way you guy's help each other out is awesome !! Thanks everyone for your help !!

Old 08-23-2006 | 10:26 PM
usafr
All Star

Yep, you're right, it does come in differnt sizes to fit all systems. As far as losing the cat, thats a personal choice, mainly b/c of the noise. I left mine on for just that reason. You will also come into problems with loss of lowend from loss of back pressure. If you don't want things to be too loud and your existing cat is in good shape, I would say to leave it, add in the Aero in place of the oem muffler and finish piping out. I got the 4040 XL, which 4040 just describes that it is for 4" pipe and the XL is for the built in resonator. I'm guessing you would get the 3535 or 3030 xl or not, just whatever you want. Go to Verocious sports, (I believe they are a sponsor for this site) look at their kits b/c I got the 4040xl with the crhome 5" tip (which is reaaaalll nice) for like $5 bucks cheaper than the muffler by itself. And don't forget the promo code, it will save you $50.

Old 08-24-2006 | 01:24 AM
zram2500

mayfair,
looking at your pictures, I didn't see the cat, what I saw appeared to be a resonator. I wouldn't claim to be an expert or even very knowledgeable (newbie), but those in the know should take a look at your pictures. Looking to replace my exhaust ('02) also for performance and mileage, heard about the dreaded drone also. if you go with the Aero,USAFR and Blk Ram69 also, please provide more feedback. Although Banks doesn't seem to be a popular name with alot of people, can anyone give any feedback on their muffler?

Old 08-24-2006 | 04:49 AM
Dodge_dakota

ive got a 97 12 valve with a custom 6 inch dual stack kit got the parts at a local truck store

Old 08-24-2006 | 08:51 AM
usafr
All Star

yeah, stacks are cool, I've seen and heard a couple of guys with em. I like the look, sound, and they look really cool taking off bellowing black smoke. Go to verocious morotsports, (look on the right of the screen at the column) they have the aero and a description.

Old 08-24-2006 | 01:52 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

ORIGINAL: zram2500

mayfair,
looking at your pictures, I didn't see the cat, what I saw appeared to be a resonator. I wouldn't claim to be an expert or even very knowledgeable (newbie), but those in the know should take a look at your pictures.
LOL .... You're probably right. This is my first diesel. I just assumed that anything before the muffler must be a cat. I've never even heard of a resonator before I came here. Can someone confirm this for me / us by looking at my pics under my profile ( avatar ) ? If it IS a resonator, should I ditch it since the Aero comes with a resonator, run BOTH resonators, or get the Aero without the resonator?

Geeze .... I feel like I'm trying to figure out the combo to a Ribics Cube !! LOL !!

usaf ... Thanks again for the tips !! I sure will check out Verocious should I decide that's the best route to go ( combo wise )

Dakota .... Got pics of those stacks ??

zram2500 ... Thanks again for the heads up. I'll definately keep everyone up to date as far as what's going on here since it looks like it's more than just me interrested.

Thanks again guy's for your help !!

Old 08-24-2006 | 03:19 PM
Diesel Nut

Heres a picture

My 2006 with 5" stacks

Old 08-24-2006 | 03:20 PM
Diesel Nut

Ok, that didn't work.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e4...d/100_0799.jpg

Maybe that?

Old 08-24-2006 | 03:38 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

Dude that is SIC !!!

I just got those same wheels for my truck only in aluminum not chrome. I really like em a lot !!

Old 08-24-2006 | 08:35 PM
usafr
All Star

SWEET TWINKIES THAT LOOKS COOL!!! I gott a stop looking at this stuff, this gives me ideas. How do they sound? around a 10 on the holy poop scale?

Quick Reply: Exhaust recomendations