Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Air Conditioning Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:44 PM
abby4000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have on 06 CTD. The A/C dose not get cold at all. Is this normal for dodge??

Thanks Again All

Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air Conditioning Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

if you look at where the condensor is you'll see that behind that you have the intercooler, a sizeable gap, power steering and tranny cooler, radiator, then the fan. the fan has to pull through all that to get air moveing over the condensor. a few here have been throwing around the idea of a pusher fan mounted on the condensor to help things out.

you can also have the dealer look at it and see if the system has enough pressure on the low side.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back to the dealer. I assume it's under warranty.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
abby4000

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS

Old 10-03-2006, 03:12 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Probably lost your refrig. Most likely from a compressor seal that wasn't worn in yet.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:09 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

Something's got to be wrong - my aircon works like a champ out here where we often are in triple digits - except when I forget to push the aircon button and am just sucking in the outside air!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:53 AM
mjh1019

Brought mine back and still does not blow cold..I will be making a 3rd trip next week to get it fixed!!!! Not too pleased with a/c...

Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Brazos

Make them fix it. I bought my truck new on Oct. 31st 2001. The A/C did not work when I got it and it made 4 more trips to the dealership before my warranty ran out. They never did get it to work right. The last time I took it to the dealership I was about 10K miles over my warranty and winter was over and it started to heat up. I started using the a/c again and right away noticed it wasn't working. I took it back to the dealer and got the phone call "Mr. Martin your a/c is totally trashed and it will cost $1500 to replace it". Under the circumstance the felt I had a case and made me call Dodge. Dodge told me to take a hike so I just milked it along keeping it full of freon for another year until it just got too bad and I took it to an a/c place who fixed it for $1,100. Point is don't sit on it thinking it will get better. I have alsways been the live and let live type and don't complain much. This episode taught me a lesson. If your dealer can't fix take it to another one while it is under warranty. I blame Dodge a little but I mainly blame my dealer for not fixing it right in the first place while it was under warranty. Good luck.

Brazos

Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 PM
usafr
All Star

For about the first two months I had mine, I could swear that the A/C wasn't working properly. I never got around to taking it in, but now it'll freeze you out of the truck.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Brazos

USAFR,

My a/c, even when working poorly, worked well at night or on cooler or cloudy days. When the sun poped out and the temps went up it blew hot air. That's what screwed me. I would take it to the dealer they would give it back and say it was fixed and then the mind games began. I would drive around thinking my a/c has to be working they just fixed it. But in reality it wasn't. As soon as the weather got the slightest bit warm it was obvious it was not working. In the summer/warmer months it was easy to figure out it wasn't working. In the winter it wasn't used as much and when it was it was relatively cool outside so it work enough to make me think I was crazy when in reality I should have taken it to the dealer. Reason I say all of this is that if your a/c wasn't working the past 2 months after you got your truck but now it is working great may have to do with the climate you are in. My case was the most extreme. I had to replace almost everything and it wound up costing me over $1100 out of my pocket. Your a/c could be great and last the life of the truck. Just make darn sure because the problem could be expensive down the road. Now may a/c is fixed it works better than it ever did by far. I will say that compared to my other vehicles it is nothing to write home about. I think Drew pretty well summed up the physics on why it will never be the best. My dad's new 2006 dodge cummins doesn't have the greatest a/c and he complains about it. It feels ok to me but when compared to his chevy 1/2 ton truck he was used to driving around I can see where he is coming from because that a/c blew frigid air.

Brazos

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1