Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tailgate Lock...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Flent
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tailgate Lock...

I was looking at those power gate locks but decided against it for some reasons.

1. if the motor dies (and I have seen plenty of actuators die befor) now you have to tear it apart to fix.
2. if something happens to the wireing it would be a pain to tix.
3. I am getting the bed sprayed with a linear, and I do not want to have to deal with cutting that **** off to get to the access panel to make a repair.
4. If that actuator jams up and you can not get your tail gate open u might be in a bind.

just my 2 or well.. 4 cents.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:44 PM
donnie
Professional

Is there a tail gate lock that would fit into the stock housing?
I just added a chrome accent piece to the handle and dont want to have to replace the complete assembly.
Thanks.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:00 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: Flent

I was looking at those power gate locks but decided against it for some reasons.

3. I am getting the bed sprayed with a linear, and I do not want to have to deal with cutting that **** off to get to the access panel to make a repair.

just my 2 or well.. 4 cents.
Actually, you shouldnt have to worry about that part. I got Line-x'd and they actually take that panel off, sprayed the tailgate with the panel removed and then put it back on so you have full access without any cutting.
Of course, I would definitely ask them if they do this before they spray.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:48 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

Donnie - yes, there is a lock that fits in the stock housing that will allow you to retain your chrome accent - it's made by Pop-n-lock, and should be available at Pep Boys, and most accessory shops. It is attached via pins that snap in behind the handle, and an adhesive strip. For good measure, I also pulled the access panel off the tailgate, and drilled a hole through the Pop-n-lock lock and the handle housing so I could put a bolt and a nut on it to make sure it stayed put. And if you don't want to have to deal with a lock - on my last CTD I welded a washer across the slotted piece on the end of the support cable so it wouldn't be able to be slid off the post - but then you can't take the gate off yourself without breaking the weld should you ever need to. (I now live in a better area so am less worried - talk about jinxing myself, eh?)

Quick Reply: Tailgate Lock...