Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Drews Brew... Explained. (Read Me FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
rudy_t2004
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Drews Brew... Explained. (Read Me FAQ)

Im gonna have to try the lucas to see if it is true.

Rudy

Old 01-20-2007, 10:03 PM
handymanherb
Banned

I thought we were dropping the MMO for 16 oz of 2 stroke oil

Old 01-22-2007, 01:11 AM
rshackleford

found psd winter for 3.99 last week.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 AM
u0061914

I was out at my buddies shop (fleet of trucks) yesterday and we started talking about this mixture. He strongly cautioned me about running MMO in my truck. About a week ago, he was visited by a government inspector who was checking the fuel in his truck tanks to make sure he was not running off road fuel (dyed red). The inspector told him not to run any additives and specifically MMO in his diesel, since it will show up as dyed fuel. the fine for the 1st offense is $1000 and the 2nd is $10,000! I have not ried this yet and am now very leary about it.

????

Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 PM
dakotafireguy
Amateur

Not sure where you are from, but here in CT, I dont worry too much about an inspector checking the tank in my 2500. In my tri-axle dump, I don't run anything but on-road diesel (definetly not worth the fine).

Old 02-06-2007, 10:57 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Default RE: Drew's Brew... Explained. (Read Me FAQ)

I tried the 2 stroke in yesterdays fill-up and when I started this morning the engine was making more noise than I heard, said it may be cold, as it was 45 outside, but warming up and driving60 miles didn't help.

So I figured out maybe it was the 2-stroke oil since it was the only change I made, dumped 8 ounces of MMO and it quited down on the way home some, so I'm going back to Drew's brew,as I had people comment on how quite my truck was for being a diesel

Old 02-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Trebor Snave

Hey, all. I must say, you've got a great forum going here.

On the subject of dyed diesel, I work in a State Highway Department materials lab, right across the hall from the chemistry lab that tests for AZO dyed fuel. Talking with our head chemist this morning about this issue, since I was thinking about trying some Drew's Brew in my CTD when I get it (next month), he stated that any fuel additive with red dye in it will test positive for AZO, it's a very commonly used dye. If anyone has a can of MMO handy, look and see if it has a red dye in it, that should tell you if it's safe to add or not.

Before I freak anyone out, have any of you ever been pulled over and been checked? In my state, admittedly rural and low population, the number of samples tested is about 200-300 per year. With all the diesels around here, that gives pretty good odds against random checks.

I was going to offer to have it tested, but when I went over to talk to the chemist, my boss had beaten me to it! When the results come out, I'll post them.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:25 PM
beachmstr

Are both the contents found together? I went and found the White bottle but I couldnt find the MMO tonight. Am i looking in the wrong place? Most walmarts are all the same so I'm just wondering.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 PM
cumminalong

The big, gallon jug of MMO is usually over by the diesel oils and big jugs.

The small bottles of MMO are usually in with the rest of the additives.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 PM
caytos

For what it's worth I mixed up my first batch of 'Brew' this evening. Wal-Mart sells a nice oil mix bottle in the boat section that makes it really easy to mix up a batch. While doing this I noticed on the MMO, and I quote "This diesel fuel additive does not comply with federal ultra-low sulfer content requirements for use in model year 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles or model year 2011 and newer diesel nonroad equipment engines." Not sure what affect this would have onone of these engines, but I just wanted to throw it out.

Quick Reply: Drews Brew... Explained. (Read Me FAQ)