Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Drews Brew... Explained. (Read Me FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:42 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Drews Brew... Explained. (Read Me FAQ)

there have been alot of questions about "Drews Brew"... what it is, how much and how often. Post any questions here...

Well, here we go...

The brew consists of 16 oz of "Power Service Diesel" and 8 oz of "Marvel Mystery Oil"

Power Service's website
http://www.powerservice.com/

Marvel Mystery Oil
http://www.marvelmakeover.com/products.html

FAQ's

What is the difference between the grey bottle & white bottle?
From their website...
Grey bottle: (year round)

"Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost
Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost® is the premier “performance” product on the market. Diesel Kleen is loaded with cetane, detergency and lubricity additives to keep your diesel engine running at peak performance.

If you are looking for an antigel, Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost is the product you should be using. Like Diesel Kleen, Diesel Fuel Supplement contains a cetane and detergency package. However, it is not as concentrated as Diesel Kleen to allow for the superior antigel in Diesel Fuel Supplement

* Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant — contains less than 15 parts per million (ppm) sulfur
* Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel
* Contains Slickdiesel® for maximum fuel lubrication — protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
* Boosts cetane up to 4 numbers — engines run smoother with less power lag, reduced emissions and faster cold starts
* Reduces visible exhaust emissions (HC, PM) up to 50 percent and reduces NOx and CO emissions up to 28 percent
* Cleans dirty fuel injectors — exceeds Cummins L10 Injector Depositing Test Superior specifications
* Decreases fuel consumption up to 8 percent — fuel savings exceed cost of additive
* Reduces piston and combustion chamber deposits — reduces soot blow-by and engine oil thickening
* Increases power — reduces need for downshifting during high-load conditions
* Exceeds industry standards for thermal stability — improves diesel fuel’s resistance to thermal and oxidative degradation
* Stabilizes stored fuel"

White bottle: (cold weather and year round)
"Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost

This is the product of choice for optimal winter operation. Diesel Fuel Supplement® contains the most effective antigel additive package available in the diesel industry - no blending with No.1 diesel or kerosene is needed to achieve maximum winter protection. The cetane improver in Diesel Fuel Supplement provides up to 2 numbers of cetane boost for easier cold starts and a smoother running engine, while detergents clean fuel injectors to provide more power and less fuel consumption.

While it is preferable to use Diesel Kleen in the non-winter months for maximum injector clean-up and a cetane boost of 4 numbers, Diesel Fuel Supplement can be used on a year-around basis. Although Diesel Fuel Supplement is an antigel, it will not harm your engine to use year-around.
Winter Performance Benefits:

* Prevents fuel gelling in temperatures as low as -40°F.
* Equals the performance of a 50/50 blend of No. 2 and No. 1 diesel fuels
* Lowers Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) as much as 36°F. — keeps fuel-filters from plugging with wax
* Boosts cetane up to 2 numbers for faster cold starts
* Contains anti-icing additives — protects against fuel-filter icing

Year-Around Performance Benefits:

* Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant — contains less than 15 parts per million (ppm) sulfur
* Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel blends containing up to 20% biodiesel (B20)
* Contains Slickdiesel® for maximum fuel lubrication — protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
* Boosts cetane up to 2 numbers engines run smoother with less power lag and reduced emissions
* Keeps fuel injectors clean — exceeds Cummins L10 Injector Depositing Test Superior specifications
* Reduces emissions and black exhaust smoke
* Increases power — reduces need for downshifting during high-load conditions
* Decreases fuel consumption — fuel savings exceed cost of additive
* Stabilizes fuel in equipment tanks — improves diesel fuel's resistance to thermal and oxidative degradation
* Stabilizes stored fuel
"

go to the webpage for more details.

How can I mix it?
you can get a 32 oz bottle of PSD, pour 16 oz into a full tank, then add 8 oz of MMO to the tank and your good to go, now you can add 8 oz to the remaining 16 oz of PSD in the PSD bottle and toss it in your truck so it's ready to go on your next fill up. My suggestion is to buy 1 more bottle of PSD (32 oz) and have 2 of them available to use and re-fill from the bigger bottles.

Can I pre-mix the PSD & the MMO?
yes, I pre-mix the 2 and leave it in a used PSD bottle ready to go on my next fillup.

What are the benifits?
smoother running motor, 1~3 mpg better than without (pays for itself easily if your getting ~.75 mpg better), adds lubrication to your fuel system and helps keep your fuel injectors from developing carbon buildup.

Where can I find it?
Walmart has both PSD & MMO and generaly has the best price on both.

Hope this helps

Old 10-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Drews Brew... Explained. (Read Me FAQ)

thanks steve

Old 10-07-2006, 01:16 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

Good post!

Old 10-07-2006, 01:46 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Thanks... Drew if anything needs to be added let me know.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drew, what is the size of the tank that you made the formula for?

Old 10-11-2006, 01:05 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

if you go to the Power Service website http://www.powerservice.com/ and click on the grey bottle display on the right hand side, you'll see at the bottom what the mix should be. I think 16 oz & 8 oz worked out well for Drew so thats what he stuck with. I've tried a couple of different mixes and found no difference compared to the 16/8 mix. the nice thing about it is the numbers work out nicely when your splitting up either a 32 oz bottle or 96 oz bottle...

Old 10-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Hades12
Rookie

Do you think there would be any problem if I mixed them in a 24oz coke bottle. That way I can just throw it away at each fill up.

Also at what outside temp do you change over to the white bottle?

Old 10-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Drew
Professional

as long as the bottle is clean it will be fine.

when to change over to the white bottle. In the Atlanta area Ive only bought 4 of the white bottles for those few times it gets chilly here. #2 starts gelling around 10-0F, however in the winter #1 is mixed in to lower that temp to somewhere around -20F.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 AM
Dodge This
Professional

I need to mix a batch off "brew" for myself. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Hades12
Rookie

My move from ATL is almost finished and I will be in western NC, but 10 is still a low number even for up there. The white looks to be the same stuff just with the anti jell so I will likely start running it next time I pickup a big bottle.

Have you thought about using two stroke inplace of the MMO?

Quick Reply: Drews Brew... Explained. (Read Me FAQ)