Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Aero users, question for you.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006 | 06:10 PM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame
Default Aero users, question for you.

Ok so i've had mine on for about a week now and feel that the muffler is "broken in" so to speak, thru the heat cycles. my truck almost never downshifts now meaning (to me anyway) torque is going up. the butt dyno says low~mid range torque is going up, mileage also seems to be going up. I say that because before the aero, at 1/4 of a tank the odo would say about 150 miles. As it did on the 1st part of this tank. at 1/2 tank when the odo read 150ish, i would end up with about 260~270 miles. now it read 290~295 miles... about 20~30 miles more than usual. The overhead (which is almost useless and is 3.5 mpg off) was usually around 17.5~18.0 mpg, now reads 19.2. Still taking the same normal routes to & from work.

so my question is has any of you who put the aero on kept any mileage data that shows what i'm seeing? (a recent jump in mileage, I have about 600 miles on the aero now)

Old 10-19-2006 | 06:17 PM
brent78
Default RE: Aero users, question for you.

Just curious, what aero package did you install? I'm thinking of grabbing one for my '06 and you're post is encouraging.

Old 10-19-2006 | 06:19 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I actually DO think that it got a bit better, but not much. Maybe 1mpg at best. At least it isn't worse !!

Like I said before, when I had my 16" rims, I was running great and getting about 14.5 mpg on average. When I went up to 17" rims, my truck ran like a slug and my mpg went down to about 13.5 - 14. After adding my Aero, my truck runs as strong as it did with teh 16's, and I'm back up to 14.5 mpg. Needless to say, I'm pleased as punch.

I'd be even happier though if I was getting the mpg that some of you guy's are. DAMN !!!!

Old 10-19-2006 | 06:43 PM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: brent78

Just curious, what aero package did you install? I'm thinking of grabbing one for my '06 and you're post is encouraging.
I went with the 4040, no resonator. I already had, and still have in there a 30" magnaflow.

I'd be even happier though if I was getting the mpg that some of you guy's are. DAMN !!!!
Sir, you NEED the ATS manifold! and you probably would have benifited from a 4" turbo back exhaust setup. Look @ my truck... 17's while on the hiway only. My 2000 could only dream of 17's for mpg... actually, I think I caught it one night, went out into the garage when it was in there for some work and found it shaking it's back legs (wheels.. as in puppy dreams).

once i'm done with this tank, i'm going to bump the TST to a 2/1 and see how the mileage thing goes. (remember, i'm greedy and want both mileage and killer performance with the push of a button...) I'm still planning on trying to reduce drag on the underside by filling some of the huge gaps under there.

Old 10-19-2006 | 06:51 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

Sir, you NEED the ATS manifold!
I KNEW you were gonna say that !!

LOL !!

Baby steps son. One thing at a time. I'm first of all thinking about some sort of gauge set up, then one of those FAAS systems since everyone here has scared the BEJESUS outta me about how crappy my existing lift pump is, and THEN maybe an intake.

You guy's are killin me ...

Old 10-19-2006 | 06:51 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

I checked my book and did see a change of about 2 mpg (around the time) after install. This was noted on longer highway trips. Around town it fluctuated +/- 1-2 (driving habits).

It was kind of hard to tell as I didn’t start noting mods in my book until lately (tires). Still all in all a great product.

Even if i saw no change it is 1000% better than the free flow MBRP that came with my exhaust.

I'm currently on my first tank of the ULSD (<15ppm) and am anxious to see what impact it will have. The truck (motor) is however noticeably louder.

Old 10-19-2006 | 06:56 PM
usafr
All Star

Steve one of the first things that I noticed, was that mine doesnt downshift as much either after the aero install. The fuel mielage may have gotten a little better, but I can't be absolutely sure, since I didn't do many tests.

Old 10-19-2006 | 07:14 PM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame

If I got the ~2 mpg hiway that Jason got, i'd be tickled to death! that would put me at 18~19 on the hiway and would push my average up to the high 16's low 17's. when I see others getting 18's & 19's on stock tires I get jealous.

also it'll be interesting to see what Jason gets out of his new ULSD for mileage. I remember the 1st time it went into mine and damn, I thought I broke something. it was hella loud and generally not happy in my opinion. I promptly dumped in the brew which I didnt have at the time and burned off enough to do a re-fill with the 500 ppm stuff. now it's all gone, no more good stuff [sm=boohoo.gif] actually, now that I think of it, I can go back and find my receipt of when I filled it up and figure out about when the ulsd started showing up @ all the pumps... then compare it against the mileage data I have. hummm... as if I didnt already have enough to do [&:]

Old 10-19-2006 | 07:18 PM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame

found it... didnt see anything that stood out from that day forward... (ULSD & mileage)

Old 10-19-2006 | 11:46 PM
she torques me

Steve, being new here, I didnt know what you started with. Did you add aero 4040 then the ATS manifold or the other way around. I am thinking about starting with coldair then ATS? whats your opinion?

Quick Reply: Aero users, question for you.