Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newbie Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006 | 09:40 PM
utah_biker
Default RE: Newbie Needs Help

Hi Rudy,

I bought a Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4 Quad Cab last May. I was replacing a 1989 Toyota truck with 213,000 miles on it. I still have the Toyota. It's in excellent shape and just runs too good to sell for what I will get. We all know Toyota has a strong record of dependability, so, this is a testimony to Dodge.

The Ram has been great.

I did a lot of research before buying the Dodge. I looked at and researched diesel pickups for about three years. I was most interested in low maintenance and something that will haul an RV trailer with ease. Price was also an issue. After a lot of research it boiled down the Ford F250 or the Dodge. The Cummins engine, the cab, the price and the looks of the Dodge won me over.

I would think very hard before buying an automatic transmission. In my opinion the only thing automatic about automatic transmissions is that they automatically break and they automatically cost more and they automatically cost you more fuel consumption. My research turned up story after story after story about Dodge automatic transmission problems. I went manual. I also have a friend who experienced auto tranny problems first hand with a 2500 Hemi. I even have manual locks and windows. Most people think I'm a nut, but crank windows and manual locks don't break.

I would also think very hard before making engine or drive train modifications including exhaust, intake, chips, etc. Most folks on this forum will frown on me for this, but mods void warrantees and they don't necessarily make things better. There is a huge after market for mods, and this market is generally there to make money for someone else, not to improve your transportation. I have read story after story on the web where some mod voided a warrantee and cost the user big $$$s in repairs. One common mod for many vehicles is the K&N air filter. Marketing for K&N has created an almost cosmic, God like image for this brand. The fact is K&N is CRAP and I know it is first hand with previous experiences. You can search the Web for stories on this one. I knew a manager at a truck rental business where they were sucked into the K&N line of BS. After about 30% of their trucks had significant engine damage, like scored cylinders and other issues related to poor induction filtration, they switched to Fram. The problems went away. I experienced the same thing with a Honda dirt bike of mine. Some folks may respond stating that I did not properly use the K&N filter. K&N says they will not stand behind their filter unless you use only their expensive cleaner and oil (which I did). The fact is I followed their directions exactly. The fact is K&N wants you to buy their expensive filters, and their expensive oil, and their expensive cleaner, because they want all the money they can get from you. This is not a K&N rant. It's just facts and a good example of what to look out for. You don't want to spend 30K on a truck and ruin it with some after market product.

There are very good aftermarket mods to consider. For example Rhino bed liners are very good. I researched this and found they are well worth the cost. I ordered my truck without a liner and had a Rhino liner put in it. They color matched it, and it has a 100% life time warrantee! Another good thing to consider is tires. You can order your truck with the standard tires and wheels. When it comes in take it immediately to Discount Tire who will give you a very reasonable trade in price for the factory tires and wheels. By doing this you are very likely to get exactly what you want for wheels and tires at far less than what you would pay for the very limited options at the dealer. Another point on tires is wider is better for rear end traction when running empty. This has been very pronounced with every truck I have owned. (I don't like doing donuts unexpectedly in the rain.)

Iā€™m sure there are other very good modes to consider. Just be carefulā€¦

Various folks here have made a strong point that I agree with. Buy it now! The current Ram 2500 Cummins is about as good as it gets. With the new emission components comming we should expect problems.

You might try support at these web sites for advice on how to get a good deal.

www.carbuyingtips.com
www.fightingchance.com

I followed the advice at fighting chance exactly as they suggested. I got an EXCELLENT deal. The data they provided (for $35) was exactly accurate (to the penny) and the tactic they outlined where you buy at the very end of the month really, really worked. The information about dealers trying to ā€œsteal your rebateā€ and other scams was very valuable. When I bought my truck I had dealers and reps calling me back, offering lower and lower prices for the last few days at the end of the month. Auto sales is a month to month quote driven business. Using the ideas at fightingchance.com you are basically turning the game around on the sales reps and dealers. My experience literally turned into a bidding frenzy by the end of the week and it was all strongly to my advantage. Right now is an excellent time to buy a large pickup. If I had waited until now I may have saved even more.

Best of luck and welcome to DF. [8D]

Old 11-12-2006 | 09:59 PM
sharx ram
Champion

I cant wait to see it, sounds like you have it all dialed in...get to it [8D]

Old 11-13-2006 | 01:09 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Nice write up Utah !!

Well done !!

Old 11-14-2006 | 01:24 AM
utah_biker

Thanks MayFair!

sharkx ram - That is one NICE lookin' ride! [8D] What tires are you runnin' there?

Old 11-14-2006 | 02:05 AM
Ralph78
Professional

Local,

I'm VERY SLOWLY restoring a 1970-1/2 Camaro Z-28 4 speed that I bought in 1971. Subframe is off, it's been sandblasted and painted. Over the next year or two I plan to finish with the restoration. I have most of the replacement interior, and the parts to rebuild the trans and the 12 bolt posi. rear end. I am holding off on the LT-1 350 until I have most of the other work done.

Old 11-14-2006 | 02:17 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I'm curious, I never knew they made any of them. Do you mean 68 Roadrunner with the Hemi?
not sure? but I road in a 65 and it had a hemi, could have been a swap, but that thing was awesome.

Old 11-14-2006 | 02:17 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Local, is that blue Camaro the same as the red?

Old 11-14-2006 | 02:23 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Why is the dog on a Mack truck standing up?[&:]

If you were on a pile of **** you'd be standing to

Old 11-14-2006 | 02:28 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Mack's aren't good trucks?

I don't know diddly about big rids.

Old 11-14-2006 | 02:37 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Back in the day they used to be, but now they are junk except for their transmissions and their rearends. If you can destroy them you shouldn't be driving.

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Help