Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

oil filter, diesel with clean oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006 | 04:17 AM
derherr65
Default oil filter, diesel with clean oil?

I've vaguely heard of paper towel or toilet paper oil filters before. Seems like the military was using them even. But I just recently read a claim from a guy running a dodge cummins(i think it was) that he uses a frantz filter in addition to stock(as they are designed to do) and has clean looking oil. Is that possible? And even if not, what do you think about the system? Will it pull more trash out of the oil? Is it worthwhile?

http://www.wefilterit.com/

Old 11-15-2006 | 10:19 AM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: oil filter, diesel with clean oil?

Ive read up on these things and they do seem to work quite well. you only have a portion of the oil going through the filter so there is no real pressure loss, and it does extend the life of the oil. however I cannot swallow the cost of the system sometimes.

the frantz system is good, but also give the one from amsoil a look as well.

Old 11-15-2006 | 11:37 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

yeah there isnt much pressure loss through a filter. They bypass at 15 psi. So they dont filter much of the oil.

I looked into one of these as well and Im with Drew. The cost is hard to swallow

Old 11-15-2006 | 03:33 PM
derherr65

I'm liking the frantz/motor guard type filters. Replacement "elements" are $0.50, basic kits start at about $150, and you get the same benefits from what I can tell.
I ran across a government test on the amsoil type, using city buses and gas SUVs. The break even on cost of purchase vs oil change savings is about 70,000 miles. That does not include benefits from any reduced wear that might occur.
As I come fron a long line of "run 'em 'til they drop, rebuild 'em, and run 'em again" car owners, and have a +60 mile daily commute I should benefit from such a system.

Old 11-15-2006 | 05:50 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I'm not sure I could trust a toilet paper oil filter. What is to stop some of the toilet paper breaking a part and getting back into the oil? My self I think I would rather truss something that is made to filter oil and not some thing that is meant to wipe my *** with [sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 11-15-2006 | 06:28 PM
derherr65

In all likelyhood your current oil filter is paper with a reinforcing wire mesh.
We're not talking about the nice fluffy stuff, we're talking the really fun to use stuff gas stations buy. When compressed it's about indestructable. I've heard no complaints about the paper falling apart from anyone who had ever used one.

Old 11-15-2006 | 06:34 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: derherr65

, we're talking the really fun to use stuff gas stations buy. When compressed it's about indestructable.
Sand paper you mean

Old 11-15-2006 | 06:39 PM
cumminalong

Man, that's Army toilet paper.....

It's rough and it's tough and it don't take no crap offa anybody!

[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 11-15-2006 | 06:41 PM
Drew
Professional

single ply John Wayne toilet paper. . .

Rich should know what I'm talking about when I say John Wayne TP. It's Rough, It's Tough, and takes **** off no-one

besides the TP cartridge for the frantz system is a different type of paper to begin with. not only a tighter weave, but when rolled up is pulled tighter.

Old 11-15-2006 | 07:26 PM
derherr65

ORIGINALrew
besides the TP cartridge for the frantz system is a different type of paper to begin with. not only a tighter weave, but when rolled up is pulled tighter.
Please elaborate Drew.

I hear that single ply scotts works. There's actually a website dedicated to rating toilet paper and such. Judging from his very descriptive claims single ply scotts is the right kind of stuff.
Found bulk single ply toilet paper for $0.70 a roll.

Quick Reply: oil filter, diesel with clean oil?