Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CHANGE IN THE FUEL SYSTEM CONFIG?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:33 PM
happy_gilmore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHANGE IN THE FUEL SYSTEM CONFIG?????

Hello all, I have a 00 diesel 2500 187,000 miles w/6"skyjacker lift, 37" dirt grips no engine or tranny mods. Today I was contacted by the dealer to let me know that I had lost another transfer pump (#5 since I bought it new in 00) aswell as another injecton pump. (last on was installed 50,000 miles ago with a hefty price of $4000.00) Now after asking all these years of why I am losing these pumps and getting no answers. The dealer is telling me that they reccomment that I let them perform the Dodge upgrade of the system. Which involves installing a pump in the fuel tank and removing the one off the back of the engine. This I must say is a very smart move. I have seen that fuel pump leak fuel once it goes and having fuel that close to the hot engine scared the hell out of me. Also the service advisor explained that it is easier to push fuel than to pull it. Has any one else encounterd this explanation? What is the difference between a recall and an upgrade (is it lives), or just who pays for it?

I cant be the only one getting fed this $&** @^%#

Mike
Very loyal Dodge owner
possibly led astray

Old 11-17-2006, 12:41 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: CHANGE IN THE FUEL SYSTEM CONFIG?????

You can not pull a liquid. You can only create a lower pressure than atmosphere. Then the atmosphere's pressure pushes fuel to the pump. Therefor it is easier for the pump if it is closer to the tank. I haven't heard of any of the new pumps going out. As for me, I am going for a FASS fuel system when my transfer pump goes.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge no longer sells the engine mounted transfer pump. You will be pleased if you allow them to put the new tank mounted pump on. We have did this conversion many times and have not seen the new pump fail once. The conversion kit should cost you about $ 370.00 for the parts only. Labor should be around $400.00 If their part is too high, call me and I can ship you one UPS.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something I remember seeing that kills the fuel filter mounted lift pump is the vibration of the engine. I can see that and how it would affect the pump due to the engine.

personaly, you can go better with an aftermarket pump, FASS or a Walbro pump kit that is capabe of supplying more fuel to the VP44.

whats happening with your truck is the lift pump dies, starving the VP44 of fuel, and that fuel is what actualy cools and lubricates the pump. . .horrid design on Bosch's end. as long as you can keep fuel to the pump it will live and if the lift pump dies if you stop the engine emediately you can probably save the VP44.

now if your half way mechanicaly inclined you could probably install a new VP44 and after market pump yourself at a fraction of the price of what the dealership charges.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:15 PM
duneschick
Professional

had the pump installed on my 2001 as warranty work. At first I hated at- and well I still don't like it. I pull a hill at 70mph and I want to gain- BUT NOOOO!!! My fuel pressure drops to almost nothing! Can't wait for the Fass! Some people might like the system- in town, etc it does ok. Still doesn't seem like enough to keep my VP44 on the road much longer. Save them pennies and buy a Fass. Also they said once that is installed and you want a aftermarket put on..... It's expensive for them to uninstall and reinstall the new one.

Buy the way.... Anyon know whats needed to change the pusher pump to the fass system? maybe how much?

[IMG]local://upfiles/31532/724D73A9EF9F4F39AB52D5B43210571E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM
happy_gilmore

WOW very surprised here it seems as if most people have said to heck with mopar and installed this fass system. I thought the same thing after this second injector pump went. But have no idea what to buy (pressure, flow rate you know the important stuff LOL) As for right now I have the dealer trying to sell me a rebuild pump for 4000. I thought the new ones were 4000 and the rebuilds were about 1800. Any input??[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49128/07293F7431E242788E59270C5CE0C30E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Rev800

I just installed a new FASS system and I love it. I just wish I would have found this site before I started having problems I could have possibly saved my VP44. Fuel pressure is pretty constant at 15psi with heavy acceleration it may drop to 11psi. Flow rate is 95gph.

I also installed a new (rebuilt) VP44, $1,200 with a $600 core charge. The dealer I contacted was $4,000 for a new pump.

Save yourself some money and install yourself, if your at all mechanically inclined it’s not that big of a job.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Check out this link that I have saved to favorites about the FASS install. For those of you considering it ( myself included ) this I think is very helpful.

http://ramchargercentral.com/index.p...owtoshow;id=91

Rev, you said that you just installed the FASS. How hard was it? How much did yo pay and where did you get it?

Old 11-17-2006, 05:56 PM
happy_gilmore

Wow there needs to be more people in the world like that guy that did that info on the install of the filter. That was cool.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49128/6BE9408B21CC4350BDFFBA84DF6619D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless youve hot rodded the engine 95gph is all you will need, however if you have plans on BOMBing the engine then putting in the 120gph would be a good option as well.

if you dont like the FASS setup's price tag check out the Walbro Kit from Glacier Diesel Power

Quick Reply: CHANGE IN THE FUEL SYSTEM CONFIG?????