Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First tank of Drews Brew inproved my milage...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:04 PM
chukar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First tank of Drews Brew inproved my milage...

Got back from hunting some cliff chickens over the weekend. I've been using "Drew's Brew" since the second time I filled my truck up. Finally built a little spreadsheet to see how overall economy was doing. I have read on the DF many times that the overhead typically shows less MPG than if you hand-calculate the mileage out. On this last tank the overhead said 20.1MPG and hand calculated it came out to 16.96MPG. Thought it might be that the petroleum transfer technician, here in OR we don't have self serve stations, just topped it off more than the last guy (actually the same station), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Overall I can't complain it has averaged 16.32MPG since I have had it (only a couple of months) and if other things on DF hold true the MPG should go up after I get more miles on it. Right now it reads 9855.

Anyone know why the overhead would show 3MPG over actual let me in on the secret. I did put some snow tires on it a couple of weeks ago and according to handheld GPS the speedometer reads about 2.5 MPH over actual speed. Don't really pay much attention to "suggested" speed signs, but happened to notice the difference last weekend.

I also don't want to mix up these threads too much, but I have been thinking about one of those lever action drain plugs after reading how soft the stock pans seem to be. That is just based on how many people seem to strip threads. What is the chance of one of those things accidentally opening in off-roading situations. I don't use it for serious crawling, but in this part of the world there aren't that many paved roads, and the gravel or dirt ones are all washboarded out. Shakes the truck like mad. Sure wouldn't want to put one of those fancy plugs in and have it come open 300 miles from the next beating heart.

Thanks, That is all for now.

I'll figure out the signature thing sooner or later.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First tank of Drews Brew inproved my milage...

ORIGINAL: chukar

I have been thinking about one of those lever action drain plugs

What is the chance of one of those things accidentally opening in off-roading situations.
I seriously doubt that you'll have that problem chukar. I just got mine and in order to open it you have to push UP and OVER at the same time. The lever locks into the closed position.

Here ya go .... here's a picture of mine before it went in ....

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/C284C5DBBD81437E99BB4B11D84BE625.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/8689B9CF9BE84990AE1C2C1496093293.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: First tank of Drews Brew inproved my milage...