Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cummins diesel into Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006 | 08:06 PM
91dakota2wd
Default cummins diesel into Dakota?

Does/Did Cummins make a 4 cylinder version of the 6 cylinder diesels that are put into Dodge Ram trucks? I have a 91 dakota 5speed 3.9L and have heard about guys putting 318 and 360s from full size trucks into Dakotas but I prefer diesel if possible. I know the 6clinder diesel in a Dakota would be laughable, but was wondering if a 4 cylinder version was available that would bolt like the 6. Would a transmission from a diesel Ram be needed, an adapter plate or would it bolt into the 3.9L 5 speed tranny?

Old 12-23-2006 | 09:57 PM
Local Yokel
Professional
Default RE: cummins diesel into Dakota?

The time and effort involved in a swap like that would make it unreasonable. I would assume it would be much easier to just find a used Ram, although I do like the looks of the older Dakota's

Old 12-24-2006 | 02:05 AM
Batphreak
Veteran

If you're serious about it, there is a 4BT Cummins that is basically a 4cyl ISB. I know of a few guys that have dropped them in CJ Jeeps. I'm quite sure it's possible, search for Banks power, they put an ISB in a Dakota and broke a land speed record, it's street legal too (hauled the equipment trailer with it). Lookup Sidewinder. I'm sure a stronger tranny will be required. So, buckle up an dget ready for some work, sounds like it'd be a fun project. 2WD or 4WD?

Old 12-24-2006 | 02:23 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Lots of the reefer units on trailers run a four cylinder cummins. Mainly Carrier's but I have seen a few in Thermo Kings. Perkins engines are pretty much the same thing as cummins so you coiuld also look for a Perkins 4 cylinder. Also CAT makes a four cylinder. I'm not sure on the bolt patterns though.

Old 12-24-2006 | 11:23 AM
91dakota2wd

Thanks for the info. Mine is a 2wd so don't have any 4x4 parts to get in the way. I used to have an 84 Chevy S10 with the 4cylinder Isuzu diesel and got 37 mpg. That plus the possibility of making my own biodiesel from vegetable oil has me thinking about a diesel Dakota. I like the Dakota body and cab room better than the S10 and Rangers.

Old 12-25-2006 | 03:14 AM
imlucifersgod2

that 4bt would be the easiest way to go if you wanted to put one in. the transmission would probly be the hardest part of the project. i don't know if the bolt pattern on your bellhousing is the same bolt pattern or not. if the v8 will bolt to it then you would need to get trans plate that bolts onto the block starter, and probly a flywheel adapter for it also. if you wanted to go to an auto instead then you could get a complete takeout from a olf bread van that has a gm th400 trans or could could a mopar overdrive unit from a dodge truck. not 100% on all of this information but just a little food for thought.

Old 12-29-2006 | 04:06 AM
MarkRAM01

Why don't you look into the diesel that they are putting in the 2006 Jeep Liberty. I know I have not seen any yet on the road, but if you could find a accident donar vehicle you might be able to pick one up there.I just checked Jeep's website 155hp and over 300 ft lbs of torque for a 2.4L four banger. WOW!!!

http://www-5.jeep.com/searchapp/ui.jsp

Old 12-29-2006 | 11:52 AM
Drew
Professional

either the 4BT or the 3.3L would fit best under the hood with the least amount of fab work. however if your good with a welder and dont mind torching the fire wall out, the 5.9L ISB will fit, you'll just need to get a cowl induction hood since the engine is alot taller then the 3.9L v6 you have now.

the big thing for you to make the 5.9L ISB work would be to get a shorter oil pan. you'll have to upgrade the front suspension since the engine itself weighs in at nearly 1000lbs. the 4BT is about the same height as the ISB, but lacking 2 cylinders. the 3.3L AG motor might be your best bet. Ive been looking at the 3.3L AG to repower my little yoda, but certian things have been going on and Ive had to drop that.

Quick Reply: cummins diesel into Dakota?