Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Swapping Factory Stereos...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:01 PM
twotrack68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Factory Stereos...

I have an opportunity to swap out my factory 6 disc stereo for a factory navagation 6 disc stereo from an '06 Charger. I currently have the upgraded Infinity system. Besides changing out the bezel/trim pieces, is this a plug & play deal or is there some additional wiring involved? Thanks for any info!
Scott

Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Swapping Factory Stereos...

it's a direct replacement. As you said.... all you need is the bezel.
I did the same thing with mine.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:54 AM
bert0168
Professional

If you don't have plans for the stock 6 disk, I might be interested in it for my 05 Ram with single disk if it is a direct swap. If interested let me know what you want for it.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 PM
rudy_t2004
Rookie

+1 FOR THE SIX DISK, unless someone has the navi that I can take off of there hands

Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: triton

it's a direct replacement. As you said.... all you need is the bezel.
I did the same thing with mine.
So you do not need another antenna for the GPS? I guess the Sirus antenna on the 6 disc also acts as the gps antenna?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:57 AM
twotrack68
Rookie

Ok, so I installed the navi unit but it seems I may be missing the little 1/4" square plug for the navi antenna. I tried the navi feature & it tells me that the antenna is not plugged in. Is this standard on all trucks? I looked all over behind the dash & cannot fine the antenna plug for the navi feature.
Scott

Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 AM
KYSkipper

GPS is going to have to have an antenna somewhere. I kind of doubt it's just in there without the GPS. I would think if there is a Y plug for the Sirrus antenna that would work. GPS's are funny about their antennas. Whatever that unit requires is what you'll probably have to use. I know on the marine units if you swap from Lowrance to Garmin the antennas aren't necessarily interchangable. If they are, most of the time they don't work right . I've never seen a GPS with a square plug for the antenna wire. Most and BNC connectors.

Skipper

Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 AM
twotrack68
Rookie

I swapped a factory 6 disc for a factory 6 disc/navi unit. All of the other connections were exactly the same. I'm just wondering where I find the small square plug for the navi feature or if it's something that I need to get from the dealer & hook up somewhere.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 AM
KYSkipper

I realized that you swapped radios. I would assume that most D/C radios are basically interchangable in the vehicles. There's no reaon to change the power or speaker wiring harnesses. That said, a GPS unit is a whole other animal. GPS antenas are specifically loaded for a paticular unit. You can stick a coat hanger in the radio antenna hole and it'll probably work. You can't with a GPS antenna. Same reason the Sirrus won't work off the regular antenna but has to have the satellite antenna.

I'd go to a lot and find the GPS antenna on one that has a navigation system on it. If in fact they are using the Sirrus antenna for the GPS antenna, then likely the dealer has a splitter cable for it. It may be that there is a different Sirrus antenna for the GPS combo that has both modules in it. It would be kind of like a Dish antenna with dual lnb's or dual bands where it has the double bubble thingy on the arm in front of the dish.

http://gpsnow.com/gmmap378.htm#acc

That is a link to a place that sells Garmin accessories. Scroll down about half way on that page and you should see a couple antenas. The top little square on only gets GPS. The larger round one gets XM and GPS.

Is there an antenna out from the Sirrus box to the radio? If so, you probably just need the connector wire from there to the radio, if not, it could be more complex.

Skip

Quick Reply: Swapping Factory Stereos...