Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Don't know anything about 'em....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Marty86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't know anything about 'em....

But, I want a diesel. A 2500 3/4 ton Ram to be exact. My future grand father in law has a 93, and its awesome. I love it. I got to drive a 2007 3500 dually, and that was even more beauty. I'm addicted, but I need yalls help! First, I don't know much about diesel's, and I'd like to learn. Good, the bad and the ugly. Second, what years of the 3/4 Ram 2500 are better? I like the 94-07 body styles, so I'd like to stick there.

Help me out guys! What do I need to know! Lend me your knowledge!

Old 01-13-2007, 08:45 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Default RE: Don't know anything about 'em....

Let me ask a few questions so the good guys here can help.

What kind of driving do you do, short around town trips or long runs, are you pulling a load or running empty, how many miles a week are we talking about???

Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get any of the 12 valve motors. Full mechanical engine is the ONLY way to go. That's making power. Not pluggin in some prettyboy chip.

No disrespect to those of you who have electronic engines.

95' is a great year.

Good look with your ride.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Marty86

Mainly a lot of highway miles. Roughly 350-400 miles a week. I have had a growing need for a truck, helping out my father in law with his stuff. I'd say about 80% of the time, it'd be running empty. I drive a old F150 right now, v8. I don't have a need for the 4wd. The only days I do short trips, is sunday, after church in town stuff. Otherwise, the trip to church itself is 30 minutes. when I move here in about 11 months, it'll be a 45 minute-1 hour drive.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:29 PM
cumminalong

The only one to even remotely avoid is the '98.5 - '02's.

They have the VP44 pump that seems to cause folks issues.

Other than that, have at it.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:07 PM
handymanherb
Banned

ORIGINAL: Marty86

Mainly a lot of highway miles. Roughly 350-400 miles a week. I have had a growing need for a truck, helping out my father in law with his stuff. I'd say about 80% of the time, it'd be running empty. I drive a old F150 right now, v8. I don't have a need for the 4wd. The only days I do short trips, is sunday, after church in town stuff. Otherwise, the trip to church itself is 30 minutes. when I move here in about 11 months, it'll be a 45 minute-1 hour drive.
Well then theCTD will do you well with long trips and high mileage weekly, I do about 400 to 500 a week and the long runs give you the most out of the tank.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:49 PM
KYSkipper

If you are running mostly unloaded, you'll want a high geared truck, 3:73 axle or higher. It'll get better milage.

Not sure where you live, but if you live around snow or mud, diesels are a little different than gas. They are extremely heavy on the front end. A 2wd diesel isn't worth a hoot on snow and will sink itself on mud. 4WD is an asset for most people. If you are in Florida and on pavement or gravel, it probably isn't necessary though. Even with 4wd, you should get quite a bit better milage than your F150 gasser. Look for around 18 to 19 mpg with 4WD. 2WD will be in the 22 to 24 range.

A good diesel is quite a bit less trouble than a gasser. A bad diesel will drive you nuts trying to fix it. Diesel have higher maintenance costs than gassers. 3 gallons of oil v's 5 or 6 quarts. Fuel filters that have to be changed more regular. Air filters don't last as long because you are sucking in a lot more air. Things like brakes are more expensive but they are also about 3 times the size of the brakes on a half ton gas truck. Items like a water pump that cost a couple hundred on a gasser are more like 400 on a diesel. My rule of thumb is the equivalent part on a diesel is about 2.5 times the weight of it's gas counterpart, about twice as expensive, but lasts twice as long.

There is no ignition system on a diesel, and that eliminates a ton of trouble you have with gas engines. No spark plugs, coils, distributors, etc.

For the first 2 years after I switched from gas to diesel, whatever price gas was, diesel was 10 cents less. Between the Sheiks, Hurricane Katrina, Wall Street, and the Oil Companies, it's been what, 3 years, maybe 4 since that's been the case. Right now diesel costs at least 30 cents more per gallon than regular gas. For what it's worth 15 cents more a gallon than high test. That negates your fuel milage gain. I haven't calculated it because I don't really want to know, but I figured before when it was 10 cents cheaper per gallon and I was getting 4 mpg better than my gasser I was actually getting about 6 or 7 mpg better because of the cheaper fuel. I suspect that with the increase in diesel now, it's probably the equivalent per mile cost of a 12 mpg gasser.

If you have a need for heavy hauling or towing or 4wd with a ton of miles diesels are the way to go. If you don't tow much or anything heavy, or aren't hauling a heavy load, or driving a lot of miles with a need for 4 wd, I would tend to say stick with a gas truck. With there being extra expense maintenance wise and the cost of the engine option, you can't come out ahead unless the need is there. On the other hand, if you just want one to have one, go to it.

Skipper

Old 01-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Marty86

I don't know what a CTD is....

I live around the Dallas-Fort Worth area. So I don't see a lot of snow. Mud yes, because I live just outside of the city, but not snow. Although we are having a lot of ice right now, its a rarity.

Are there people out there who do use 2500 as daily drivers? I love trucks, even though right at the moment I don't have much use for it. Being that I'm not using it for towing or hauling, would it be a better idea not to get a diesel?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Dodge This
Professional

I love my 2006 3/4ton quad cab. Best truck I ever owned.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:10 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Yes many own do use them for a daily driver. Just remember to not buy it thinking you will always get 20 plus mpg and then be unhappy if it does not. I have seen some think that way and then be pissed at the truck and blame it on Dodge, the salesman and everyone else because they bought a $45,000.00 truck that will not get big mpg numbers. Also the parts do cost more but they do last a lot longer then in a gas engine. As I see it the main thing is to be informed so as to make the right choice for you.

Quick Reply: Don't know anything about 'em....