Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

FUEL LEAK Need Suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007 | 02:59 AM
Ralph78
|
Professional
Default FUEL LEAK Need Suggestions.

I let my truck idle for 10 min today and noticed a puddle of diesel under the truck. I checked under the truck and it looked like it was coming from the top of the fuel filter. As I had 11,000 miles on the fuel filter, I though it was plugged and pressured up.
I changed the filter, (WHAT A BIt**)finally got the filter on and started the truck, died once, then started and ran OK.(I filled the filter with diesel before hooking it back up, and could not find a primer or bleed valve so crossed my fingers and fired her up).

I still have the leak. Upon carefull inspection, the leak seems to be coming from above the filter and well back of the Injector pump. The Injector pump is not leaking. The diesel fuel is driping down onto the fuel filter. The fuel leak is a steady drip of about 3 to 4 drops per second. What could it be? Does anyone know what could be leaking in this area?

This is my first problem with the truck, after fixing the transmission & TQConv. which was bad when I bought the truck.

Old 01-20-2007 | 03:07 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: FUEL LEAK Need Suggestions.

You got me. I'd just follow the lines to see if anything is split of if an injector came loose or something. At first i was going to say fuel filter o-ring, but you said it's comming from above the filter so you've got me.

Sorry ...

Old 01-20-2007 | 03:20 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Not breaking chops Ralph but when you changed the filter, did you make sure to remove the old square cut o-ring? All you should have above the filter is two banjo bolts. If they are wet, you may new new set of crush washers. I would also check your shut down solenoid. You may have a corodded line or loose fitting.

Keep us up to date.

Good look with your ride.

Old 01-20-2007 | 02:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

if you can post a pic of it... a picture is worth a thousand words...

Old 01-20-2007 | 07:06 PM
Ralph78
|
Professional

Thanks for the suggestions,

I can't see where the leak is comming from. Don't know what to take a picture of.
I do know the fuel is coming from above the rear of filter, I can see fuel drip down onto the rear of the filter from above it, so nothing on the filter is leaking and it only leaks when the engine is running, and it leaks when feeding from both the main and Aux. tank.

What about the fuel return line? Is the fuel return line a metal line? I believe there is a fuel return line going back to the tanks from the area near the left side of the head, but can't see it, so I don't even know what kind of line it is. I can see no way to get to the area without removing most of the equipment on the left side of the engine, so will need to find a shop that specializes in diesel pickups and have them do it. Grrrrrr$$$$$. If I do it my self, the chances of me screwing up somethig else is high, as I have no exp. with CTD engines and their systems. I have worked on Gas engined cars and trucks for many years, but this is my first experience with a diesel.

Old 01-21-2007 | 12:07 AM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

had a similar problem with my 98.5 . It turned out to be one of the banjo fittings on the injector pump the worst thing you can do is try to tighten it it will only make it leak more .I found out the hard way 200 miles from home in the middle of the desert. It cost me about $200.00 to fix at the dealer.

Old 01-21-2007 | 01:11 AM
Ralph78
|
Professional

ORIGINAL: Cumminnotstrokin

had a similar problem with my 98.5 . It turned out to be one of the banjo fittings on the injector pump the worst thing you can do is try to tighten it it will only make it leak more .I found out the hard way 200 miles from home in the middle of the desert. It cost me about $200.00 to fix at the dealer.
I have the 7100 pump and it is at least 7-8 inches ahead of the leak. The leak seems to be from between the engine and the fuel filter and about 1 inch above the filter and right at the back of the engine. There is apparently a line up there somewhere that is leaking. I checked the fuel injection lines, and I did not find any cracked lines. The leak point seems to be behind the rear injector line by several inches. The two banjo nuts at the top of the filter are "snug" I did not try to tighten them anymore.

Old 05-19-2007 | 02:41 AM
06ctd

have an 06 ctd and same problem dealer said banjo bolts needs replaced and the fuel line headed to the filter was cracked they fixed twice and still doing it. hope yours gets fixed and mine to.

Old 05-19-2007 | 03:01 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

That post is more than 4 months old.......

Old 05-19-2007 | 03:39 AM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

YES that is an old one I didn't remember replying I just thought someone had the exact thing happen to them

Quick Reply: FUEL LEAK Need Suggestions.