Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....

From their web site about there filter: 25 Micron No Restriction. Filters down to 5 micron particles. 90% more efficient than throw-away oil filters. Then they have this to say about throw-away filters: 5 Micron Material, Oil is 12 Microns; it can’t go through a 5-micron material. Oil flows BY, NOT THROUGH.

With the above it makes me want to run away from them or any thing they sell. All I can say I’m not real impressed after reading their web site.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:35 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DBLR

From their web site about there filter: 25 Micron No Restriction. Filters down to 5 micron particles. 90% more efficient than throw-away oil filters. Then they have this to say about throw-away filters: 5 Micron Material, Oil is 12 Microns; it can’t go through a 5-micron material. Oil flows BY, NOT THROUGH.

With the above it makes me want to run away from them or any thing they sell. All I can say I’m not real impressed after reading their web site.
So where's the problem? if a throw away makes oil flow by and not through.... that's a problem. The guy demonstrated that very thing in the video. He tore apart a common paper filter and tried to blow through it. He just about turned red trying. Then he blew through the SS filter and it was free flowing. It was one of the selling point of the filter.

You can also see a real difference in the tops of a standard filter and theirs. The " in " ports are huge and evenly distribute the oil over the filter. Not the case on a standard filter. The "out" port is also much bigger.

As I said... if I hadn't seen how well a SS filter work on my motorcycle, I probably would have never bought this filter. I would have been a sceptical as everyone else. The fact is though.... it worked like a charm and half the time my oil was almost as clean as when I put it in.

Come on guys.... have some adventure. I bet when whom ever design the first turbo for a street vehicle put it in a car... people said... OMG ! she's gonna blow.... don't do it ! I'm sure 1001 other examples can be thought of too.

There's people out there that only install your typical auto parts store filters and never have a problem. Like a Fram which every thing I've read says to run far from them. We here at these forum are a very small % of what really goes on in the world as far as daily up keep and oil changes. Jiffy lube is in business for a reason!
I really don't think that by not using strickly a Fleetguard filter my truck will suffer, although it was my intention to use Fleetguard filters.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

If oil is 12 microns then how can then below information about USPI oil filter be True?

The USPI oil filter is the solution to your search. This patented laboratory grade filtering media is able to remove particles down to a 1/2 micron and also removes moisture and glycol. This is the best rated oil filter! Sound too good to believe? Read on and see what we have for you.

[*]Extend engine life!

Q: If the USPI filter removes particles down to 1/2 micron, how do I know if my oil is still good since I'm used to changing oil every 6 months or so?

We suggest using the Oil Analysis Test Lab Mailer by Wear Check. Put a sample in the container, fill out the form and mail it to the lab. You will receive results that explain the quality of the oil and recommendations of how much longer you can go before requiring an oil change. We have had reports from OTR truckers that normally change their 5 gallons of oil every 15,000 miles and when using the UPSI filter have extended the driving distance to as much as 90,000 miles while keeping the engine clean and lubricated.
To top

The above information was tanke from this web site: http://www.uspiautomotiveoilfilter.c...47/page/683155

IIRC Amsoil by pass filter will filter down in the sub 5-micron range. So either oil is smaller then 12 microns and will go through very small micron oil media or a bunch of business should or need to be sued for false claims and advertising.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:08 AM
triton
Record Breaker

I couldn't imagine using a filter that filters down to -5 or even 1/2 a micron. Just think what that would do to your oil pressure. That would be such a restrictive flow the motor would starve for oil. I'm surely no expert on this so, I don't know if that's the case or not. Seems logical to me.

in doing some reading around about the subject, I found a couple interesting things.

[align=center]FILTER MEDIA
Filter media can be made of cellulose or fibrous materials, or synthetic materials designed especially for this purpose. Media in an engine's primary filters pull out particles as small as 25 to 30 microns (a human hair is 67 microns in diameters). Secondary filters do better — down to 5 or 10 microns — but also add restriction to the flow.

[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=left]makes sense to me.
[/align][align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]The filter media materials have changed over the years also.[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Early designs used steel wool, wire meshes, metal screens, etc.[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Latter bulk cotton or various woven fabrics like linen were used.[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]When disposable filters became popular, cellulose and papers were used to minimize production costs.[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Finally "synthetic" media oil filters were introduced where special man made fibers are utilized.[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Fiberglass and metal fabrics are also sometimes used for oil filtration.[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Today, most low-cost disposable spin-on oil filters use cellulose filter media. Better quality oil filters use synthetic media, while top end oil filter use "MicroGlass" or extremely fine metal mesh[/align]
so, it seems they started out a steel mesh or wool and now the best filters are " microglass (fiber) " or " steel mesh." This filter isn't steel mesh but, it's very similar.

I'm not arguing your findings. It has a lot of merit. I think maybe in the end... it comes down to preferrence of the buyer and who you ask.?

the 12 micron oil you said they mention is " material oil " I looked that up but, was kinda unclear as to what material oil actually is. Maybe it regular oil ? I don't know.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: triton

The video on their site is also some prove of it's worthyness. The blow test doesn't lie ;-)
I've seen a video of that think that you put in your intake that swirls the incomming air. The Tornado??

Do you believe that one too ??

I dunno.... but I'm rootin for ya. I really hope it DOES work as well as the claim. Could you take some pics when you get it ??

Old 01-22-2007, 02:44 AM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

The video on their site is also some prove of it's worthyness. The blow test doesn't lie ;-)
I've seen a video of that think that you put in your intake that swirls the incomming air. The Tornado??

Do you believe that one too ??

I dunno.... but I'm rootin for ya. I really hope it DOES work as well as the claim. Could you take some pics when you get it ??

Thanks Mayfair. I'm not saying this IS the filter of the future. I'm not saying that this IS the filter for me. I was really hoping to hear from someone that's used it.

No, I don't believe everything I see. The blow through was just one of the points that were made in the info ( video ) I was researching about the filter.

The don't know about the Tornado but, I do have a AirRaid throttle body spacer on my other Ram. I can't say that it actually makes a vortex but, it sure sounds like it does. It's a 1500 with a 360 and I'm always being asked if it has a turbo.

Bringing up oil or oil filters on any forums brings out a lot mixed feelings. I didn't means to cause that.... only to find out info ;-)

Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Bringing up oil or oil filters on any forums brings out a lot mixed feelings. I didn't means to cause that.... only to find out info ;-)
pfft ... don't sweat that one bit. That's what forums are for ..... DISCUSSION.

You may or may not like the way a thread you've created goes, but props to you for taking the time to post a thread for open discussion in the first place. I'm really glad you DID start this thread. I never would have heard about this filter in the first place.

Thanks !!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cumminalong
I just alway get a kick out of seeing this advertised as "Used by the military".

Shheeeeeeeit! That just means the company was the lowest bidder.
Yea, that must be very reassuring to people traveling on military aircraft.

Of course, if you look at the price of some stuff on FedLog, you would ask yourself, "are you sure this is the lowest price they could get?"

Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

ORIGINAL: cumminalong
I just alway get a kick out of seeing this advertised as "Used by the military".

Shheeeeeeeit! That just means the company was the lowest bidder.
Yea, that must be very reassuring to people traveling on military aircraft.

Of course, if you look at the price of some stuff on FedLog, you would ask yourself, "are you sure this is the lowest price they could get?"
Yeah, it is pretty funny isn't it.

It's like going to the dealer for a fuel filter ($42) vs. going to Geno's ($14).

Go figure.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Mayfair,

Your just enjoy trying to stir up trouble. I can see it in your eyes [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Quick Reply: pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....