Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:51 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....

Triton,

What I was trying to do was show you that some of the things they have to say throw up red flags to me. Personally once I see red flags from information on a product I then want to stay away from it, as I can no longer trust the information they give. To me it looks like a case of slight of hand and words.

You wrote: “He tore apart a common paper filter and tried to blow through it. He just about turned red trying.” My answer to this is: Just because the man could not blow through the oil media does that always mean that oil cannot pass through it under pressure? No, Oil goes through a filter under more pressure then what many people can blow out of their mouths. So what did he prove? The answer: nothing except he can’t blow out enough air from his mouth and under pressure to pass through the filter media he had. Better yet I can fake not being able to blow air through a paper towel if I though it would make someone believe I made a super strong paper towel and wanted them to but it.

IIRC they say you can use soap and water to clean the filter, so what happens when some of the stuff in the filter cannot be cleaned out by soap and water alone? We do know that soap alone will not dissolve every thing so over time you get a filter that will plug up, thus you will have less filtering area to clean the oil. Also over time you could wear a hole in the media from cleaning it or may be you drop it and don’t see any major damage and that would allow bigger particles to get through and hurt your engine.

For what it’s worth I just wanted to show another side of the coin so by doing so I was playing the devils advocate. I’m not saying it’s not a good filter or ideas I just don’t like how they go about some things.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:42 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Triton,

What I was trying to do was show you that some of the things they have to say throw up red flags to me. Personally once I see red flags from information on a product I then want to stay away from it, as I can no longer trust the information they give. To me it looks like a case of slight of hand and words.

You wrote: “He tore apart a common paper filter and tried to blow through it. He just about turned red trying.” My answer to this is: Just because the man could not blow through the oil media does that always mean that oil cannot pass through it under pressure? No, Oil goes through a filter under more pressure then what many people can blow out of their mouths. So what did he prove? The answer: nothing except he can’t blow out enough air from his mouth and under pressure to pass through the filter media he had. Better yet I can fake not being able to blow air through a paper towel if I though it would make someone believe I made a super strong paper towel and wanted them to but it.

IIRC they say you can use soap and water to clean the filter, so what happens when some of the stuff in the filter cannot be cleaned out by soap and water alone? We do know that soap alone will not dissolve every thing so over time you get a filter that will plug up, thus you will have less filtering area to clean the oil. Also over time you could wear a hole in the media from cleaning it or may be you drop it and don’t see any major damage and that would allow bigger particles to get through and hurt your engine.

For what it’s worth I just wanted to show another side of the coin so by doing so I was playing the devils advocate. I’m not saying it’s not a good filter or ideas I just don’t like how they go about some things.

No problem man and believe me... I only pointed out what the guy did with the filter. It doesn't necessarily mean I believed it.

My thought on that was, if it's that hard to blow through.... what is that doing to the oil pressure compared to a more free flowing filter. The video was from the 06 SEMA show so, I'd be surprised if the guy was just blowing smoke ! Ya, never know though.

Cleaning the filter wouldn't be a problem. It's SS so you could use just about anything besides acid to clean
it. I hear you about how companies go about things but, that just about 9 out of 10 companies anymore. Have you seen your Oreo's lately ? Really.... the double stuff used to be double. Now they literally look like a single stuff but, there's still being sold as double.... go figure ;-) Same thing with Mickey D's. A quarter pounder used to feel and look like one. Now, it's the same size as a regular burger..... WTF !!

It seems forumners are very **** about which and what is used. I don't mean that is a bad way, only that everyone sticks to what everyone else is using. Sure having some years behind certain products really helps in determining which one's are best but, I think aftermarket companies are fully capable of producing the same product with the same or higher standards than the OEM companies. I've always tried to think outside the box a little which may be way I'm willing to give certain products more of a chance.

I posted this same question with many of my same answers over a TDR and man was it like I was speaking
blasphemy. The guys are nice an answered question but, people just don't want to hear there may be another product to use beside Mopar, Amsoil or Fleetguard. Beside Amsoil.. I don't have any problem with any product as long as like you said... they're legit. But, just because the herd says so... doesn't mean it right.

Thanks for the input though.... I appreciate it.
[/align]

Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Mayfair,

Your just enjoy trying to stir up trouble. I can see it in your eyes [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 01-22-2007, 04:25 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Mayfair,

Your just enjoy trying to stir up trouble. I can see it in your eyes [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
Well what ever the photo was it did not show up. Guess I'll need to take a brownie point or three away from you for it [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 01-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Really ??

It shows up here ....

Old 01-22-2007, 04:56 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

ORIGINAL: cumminalong
I just alway get a kick out of seeing this advertised as "Used by the military".

Shheeeeeeeit! That just means the company was the lowest bidder.
Yea, that must be very reassuring to people traveling on military aircraft.

Of course, if you look at the price of some stuff on FedLog, you would ask yourself, "are you sure this is the lowest price they could get?"
Yeah, it is pretty funny isn't it.

It's like going to the dealer for a fuel filter ($42) vs. going to Geno's ($14).

Go figure.

Yes the 42 dollar filter is next to the 300 toliet seat and the 1000 gold plated hammer. The Government also knows how to spend our money wisely.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:03 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: MrSlug

Yes the 42 dollar filter is next to the 300 toliet seat and the 1000 gold plated hammer. The Government also knows how to spend our money wisely.
Man, you got ripped......

I got my gold plated hammer for $998. It even came with a supply of 3 cast pig iron lug nuts.....

Old 01-22-2007, 05:58 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Really ??

It shows up here ....
Well its still not showing up here and its all your fault [8D]

Quick Reply: pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....