Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:15 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....

I order one the other day. Not very cheap but, I think in the long run it will be.
Apparently they were very popular at SEMA this year.

It's a completely stainless steel filter which is cleanable and reusable. The body it mounts into is T-6061 billet casing and is a direct filter replacement.

It claims to filter anything 10 microns and below. I was thinking about installing a second remote filter but, I don't think it gonna be necessary with this filter.

Anyone have one installed yet ?? I figured if it was good enough for military vechiles and the space program, it would be good enough for my Cummins. It also doesn't void your warranty according to their web site.

http://www.gopurepower.com

Old 01-21-2007, 12:28 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....

ORIGINAL: triton

Anyone have one installed yet ?? I figured if it was good enough for military vechiles and the space program, it would be good enough for my Cummins. It also doesn't void your warranty according to their web site.

http://www.gopurepower.com
Don't EVER let this fool you. You'd never see a part like that on a normal miltary vehicle.

The thing you have to keep in mind with our military vehicles, is that they get very little mileage over their lifespan. We have HMMWV's (Hummer's) that are in excess of 10 - 15 years old with under 30K on them. Many, MANY with less than that and they are compeltely dogged out.

Look at most of the military engines and then look at an engine in a modern passenger vehicle. There's no comparison. The military engines are the most bare bones, simple combinations you can find. They are designed to be repairable in the field, with basic tools, and (in most cases) by the user.

Any time I see something advertised as "Tough enough for the military", I tend to go, "Uhhh, no thanks! I'll buy the good stuff"

Let's put it this way....When I was over in Asscrackistan, I would more often than not take a Suburban, diesel Explorer or a Land Cruiser rather than a HMMWV. Two reason's...1 - The HMMWV's are silly slow and a accelerate like a Yugo. 2 - Youwere always hoping that it would make it where you were going.

Just from experience.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
triton
Record Breaker

thanks for the reply. Believe me, it's not because the military used it that I bought it. Beside... even every vehicle you mentioned needs it's oil changed. In that respect... they are the same as anything we would drive on the street. Oil period needs to be filtered. I'm not real sold on papaer or toilet paper elements.

I don't know if you read on their site about the reason the military uses them. It helps cut cost for replacement paper filter, it's enviornmentally friendly ( no papar filters to dispose of ) and they're very durable since they're made of billet aluminum. They also have pretty powerful magnets in them to catch debris.

The video on their site is also some prove of it's worthyness. The blow test doesn't lie ;-)

Their claim is that they started producing these filter at the military's and space programs request. They say they've been doing it for years and have just know decided to break out into the personal vehicles.

I have SS oil filters in my KTM and they're great ! My oil stays clean and they're a breeze to clean. This is the main reason I went ahead and bought this one filter for my truck.

Who knows... that's why I posted this question in hopes someone has tried it already. I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:56 PM
cumminalong

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a great idea. I hope it works well.

I just alway get a kick out of seeing this advertised as "Used by the military".

Shheeeeeeeit! That just means the company was the lowest bidder.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:30 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I think I'll stick with my use of Fleet Guard filters until my warranty is over. Why take a chance that it my not meet the requirements that our engines need. Also if they sell to the Army all that means to me is they sold them cheap crap and that does not mean much nor impress me at all. Now if they would post information from Oil Analysis covering a one year period on a CTD then it may be worth looking at.

JMHO

Old 01-21-2007, 01:57 PM
triton
Record Breaker

that's completely understandable. You can look at my sig and see, my warranty is out the window anyway so that's not my concern.

Sometimes you have to be the innovator and not the imitator though and I took a chance. I try to find out as much as I can about a product before using it but, in the same sense... how will you know unless you try when a product is cutting edge.

I have enough faith in SS filters from using them in my bikeso, I figured I'll go ahead and try it out for 5000 miles then do a oil analyst to see what that says. I'm all for not having to buy filters every oil change and don't get me wrong... I'm not a tree hugger but, if it helps the environment... that's great too.

This is the guys that does the R&D for the company.... his credentials sound pretty impressive. Enough to think they know what they're doing...

Kelly Tidwell is the Vice President and Co-Founder of Pure Power! Incorporated. He is in charge of Research & Development of new products, laboratory and field-testing, quality assurance, and industry standards and regulations. Formerly, he was the President and Co-Founder of S.T.D. Enterprises, Inc. In the 70’s and early 80’s Mr. Tidwell was the Manager of Product Development for Turbo International of Houston, TX where he designed, patented and was the first to receive a California Air Resources Board Certification of a turbo system for automobiles, trucks and motorhomes. He holds multiple mechanical and liquid process patents, is a Member of Who’s Who of Inventors, a member of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, and has been a consultant for many Fortune 500 companies such as General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Winnebago and Pace Arrow/Southwind. Mr. Tidwell is a former World Champion Drag Racer and served two tours of duty with S.O.F. in Vietnam.

I know.... this might mean nothing but, at least the guy didn't start thinking about this last month.

wish me luck! ;-)

Old 01-21-2007, 03:24 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Is this what you bought?

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/sub...400+Diesel+Oil

If so dang, that be one expensive oil filter. How are you suppose to clean it?

Old 01-21-2007, 04:46 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MrSlug

Is this what you bought?

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/sub...400+Diesel+Oil

If so dang, that be one expensive oil filter. How are you suppose to clean it?
Yes, here's the link to the actual filter...

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...0&dia=true

cleaning it is the easy part. Just wash, rinse, dry and put it back in. The purple canister is just
a housing for the filter, It does come out of that.

I agree that many would never pay what this filter cost but, as long as it does what it claims...
you'll never need another filter again so, I think that makes it worth it.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:20 PM
handymanherb
Banned

This is the one for our truck, 200.is still a lot to pay for a filter, I have to see something telling how great it is.

http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...0&dia=true

Old 01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I opted for the bigger filter which is for the Cummins motor.

Quick Reply: pure power oil filters... anyone using them ?? ....