Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Leaking Oil...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
duneschick
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Oil...

I noticed last week that there was a huge oil spill on my driveway. Thought it was the Jeep (partially was) that leaks 2 quarts a day. Scrubbed the driveway clean and clear. Parked there Saturday night, left, didn't think of looking for puddle, boyfriend parked stroker in spot so I parked in gravel. Left this morning and saw a 7" size puddle on drive but his truck wasn't pulled up far enough to leave that spot. Boyfriend called this morning and informed me it is my truck. Looked outside at work- got a little from the oil container- no big deal but coming from area of rear main to I think. Go home and inspect tonight for sure. She only has 79k miles on er'. Anyone else know before I check and try and track an oil leak that may be running off my frame and jump to conclusions. What would something like this cost on my truck?[:@]

Old 01-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Leaking Oil...

It aint lookin good ....

Keep us up to date with what you find .

Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 PM
cumminalong

Oooowww....

Better hope it ain't that rear main.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
duneschick
Professional

Get off work later tonight- check it, cry, then let y'all know. Whens the best time to check my oil? I hear all sorts of replies- When its warm orbefore you start?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
cumminalong

Before you start it in the morn. Then all the oil is back in the pan and will give you the most accurate reading.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
duneschick
Professional

Cool beans! Hope its just the oil overflow container being blown to the rear of the frontend!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: duneschick

Cool beans! Hope its just the oil overflow container being blown to the rear of the frontend!
That's what I was kinda hoping for. That is pretty early for a rear main to go. Not unheard of, but pretty early.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

is it also possible your motor is still covered under the cummins waranty? someone posted a tread a while back about the cummins waranty extending out to 150k miles once the factory waranty expired...

Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 PM
duneschick
Professional

Wore white pants and lots of snow on the ground. What I can see from kneeling down is there is a small puddle in the snow in the front area (two of them) and one dripping under where oil canister maybe might be placed if I remember right. But I have not seen a significant amount under the back yet- Knock on wood! I can tell its very oily under there. Front suspension and pan icky. Can't tell about the rear of it. I know its normal kinda to have mass oil down there especially on my year of truck. (blow-off valve/ canister). I will send him down there to check it out when I get home. Gonna check the oil before I leave since I am on a flat surface. Maybe my oil is to thin? Been a while since I changed it. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions but the boyfriend pointed it out after I noticed it. I'll have to fight with the Utah dealers on that warranty info if I need to. I noticed that before my warranty expired and I questioned it in mymind to.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM
duneschick
Professional

Boyfriend made ME go out lastnight and trace it. On the way home I realized the leak is on the otherside of my canister so I myself figured its the oil filter. Got home and changed in to my oil changing clothes- SURE ENOUGH- what a mess! The oil filter was really loose. Went and bought some oil to hold me over till I can put a whole new filter change in. Problem is- I think its still leaking. (By the way he was to busy cooking dinner to help me)

Quick Reply: Leaking Oil...