Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

To level or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:07 AM
TRUSSMAN07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To level or not

Ever since I saw the pics of spankdog's truck recently leveled I have had the incredible urge to do something similar to mine. I already have a list of mods that have to be done to the truck. I have had the truck alittle over a week now and have already compiled quite a list.
1 line x sprayed in this past weekend
2 B&W turnover ball hitch next to be done
3 mopar mud flaps ordered today

I am trying to talk myself out of the following mods. After all one of the reasons I traded my last truck (03 3500 srw) was to get the 3:73 gear ratio instead of the 4:10.
1 leveling kitand a larger more aggressive tire.
What is the difference between a 33" tire and a 285 tire? I would like to keep the factory wheels if I change tires.

I already have a 00 Jeep TJ with 33's, 4" lift ARB's front and rear, etc, etc, etc. I should be content. RIGHT??

Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Buckwheat
Rookie
Default RE: To level or not

My Toyo 295/70R/17E's actually measure out to 33" tall and 11.90" wide. They fit perfect on the stock rims. No rubbing on the front at all when the tire is cranked hard to either side. I leveled mine but you don't need to. I think 285's depending what brand measure around 31.5" tall

Old 01-25-2007, 03:36 AM
spankdog

Ok, I figured people would chime in with their opinions, but I guess not. Since you mentioned my truck I'll tell you what I think. Im really happy with my set up. I've been a wheeler for my whole life. I've owned 2Scouts, 3 79 Broncos, 2 78s , a couple Toyotas and a Jeep or two, so I understand the urge to lift and modify my rides. This new Dodge was the easiest to lift and exibited the least negative effects of any truck I've owned. I didnt have to re-gear. The steering wasnt affected. I didnt lose a noticable amount of power. My gass(diesel) millage actually went up due to the lower cruising rpm on the highway. I dont have any rubbing even at full articulation. The truck looks better and I love driving it.
So in my opinion, other than the cost of lift and tires, I dont really see any negatives. The rear suspension was left alone so my load capacity wasnt sacraficed. And my headlights are better now. I thing thats due to the fact that these trucks were designed to haul and I believethe lights are aimed low from the factory so that when they are loaded the truck will settle in the back and the light wont be aimed too high.
Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Hiloram
Professional

How do you like your leveling kit. I am looking for something other than just a spacer on the springs. The Kore kit looked fairly nice. Was it easy to install? I am also curious as to how wide your tires are and how much offset you have on your rims. I am dying to do this to my truck but I am sure I am only going to get one chance to get it right(don't think I can get more than that past the wife lol).

Old 01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
HAZZERD1051
Rookie

Leveling it will look great. i'm outting on a Kore Race Suspension, unless they have the technical series out by the time i get it, and it'll look great. i was kinda surprised by how much it sags in the front. Now i realize thats because ofthe CTD and tranny but i thought they might bump up the springs alittle.

If u end up gettin it u should pay around $550 for the kore setup give or take some, it's alittle more then most leveling kits, but it also rides better and is ultra high quality so you'll never have any problems with it.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:45 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

level... I did a basic leveling kit (spacers) on mine and new shocks. the rear is stock, tires are 325-60-18's... you can go to www.differentials.com and use their tire calculator to determine size differences.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

if you do spacers...like steve...what size shocks to get? or how do you know what shocks to get? steve, wanna give a brief overview on doing spacers?

thanks guys

Old 01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
bigmike
Professional

I did the same thing Steve is talking about. When you order your shocks tell them it is for a 2" lift and they will know what you need. Basically, these spacer kits are 2" polyurethane or aluminum spacers that go at the top of your factory coil springs. They come with the necessary hardware and are relatively easy to install. If you are really just going for the looks, this will do great, but if you wheel it some, the KORE kit is way better.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
DCXgageman
Veteran

I can't help with the leveling kit but 285X70X17's are on the power wagon (mine) and they are about1-1.5 inches narrower than a 33X12.5X17.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
PRam
Professional

another thing I'm really wondering about is the load carrying capabilities, If I level the truck how much Less weight will it take to give the *** dragging dog look when loaded?

paul

Quick Reply: To level or not