Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Jake Brake Installation Tips???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 PM
JT824Megacab
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jake Brake Installation Tips???

My buddy just bought the Jacobbs ExhaustBrake for his 06' 2500 CTD Megaca. It is the one that is covered under warranty. His is very mechanically inclined and has gone over the instructions several times and is confident that he can do it. Has anyone else installed this themselves? If so are there any problems you ran into or anything he should look out for. I am going to purchase one myself and get with him to help me install it so I have an interest in this as well......

Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jake Brake Installation Tips???

just be patient since the space in that area is a bit confined

Old 03-06-2007, 08:47 AM
JT824Megacab
Professional

Just picked up my Jake Brake.....BBBrrrrrrrrr

Gonna install it on Wenesday....I will take some pics but it will not be DIY material since I will be learning myself

Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: JT824Megacab

Just picked up my Jake Brake.....BBBrrrrrrrrr

Gonna install it on Wenesday....I will take some pics but it will not be DIY material since I will be learning myself
Screw that brother....just because you're learning too doesn't mean it won't benefit everyone else. Sometimes the best person to learn from is the person that is learning themselves. Folks that have done things too many times take short cuts (which isn't a bad thing) and often leave out steps that could help the first timer.

Even if it's pics explaining tips, tricks, or technique that help the process along.

Write it up, it may help the next guy.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: JT824Megacab

My buddy just bought the Jacobbs ExhaustBrake for his 06' 2500 CTD Megaca. It is the one that is covered under warranty. His is very mechanically inclined and has gone over the instructions several times and is confident that he can do it. Has anyone else installed this themselves? If so are there any problems you ran into or anything he should look out for. I am going to purchase one myself and get with him to help me install it so I have an interest in this as well......
could ya guys take pics of the install and post em please

Old 03-12-2007, 11:18 PM
JT824Megacab
Professional

Finally got the Jake Brake installed and let me say that it has exceeded by expectations. I made a trip from AZ to Cali last night and the entire time on the freeway, I never used my regular truck brakes except when I actually exited the freeway. I have used both with my boat and with out and it makes a HUGE improvement. Also, when starting the engine, I can engage the jake brake and the engine warms-up in half the time it normally takes.

I took a few pics but the instructions were very detailed and my pictures really wont provide much help in terms of installing it, but those of you who are curious you can see what the unit looks like.

Anyonethat has questions about the install let me know. (I picked up a few tricks that can make it even easier)

The unit was pricey, ($1000.00) the install was free cause I did it with the help of friend (Install is alot of work but doable---the dealer quotes I got were a joke)

If I had known it was going to be as nice as it is, I would have done it much sooner. I read somewhere that the Jake Brake can extend the lifeof your regular brakes by 30% but I think it is longer than that because during my 600 mile trip, I never used the truck brakes!!!!!

Nothing like the feel of doing it yourself. If you dont have any patience then have the dealer install for you....

Old 03-13-2007, 01:39 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

1st ? Where did you find it for $1000? Second, how long did it take you to install? How many curse breaks were taken? # of busted knuckles? All kidding aside I have wanted one for some time, but prices and complexity of install have held me back.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 AM
JT824Megacab
Professional

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

1st ? Where did you find it for $1000? Second, how long did it take you to install? How many curse breaks were taken? # of busted knuckles? All kidding aside I have wanted one for some time, but prices and complexity of install have held me back.
I found it on E-bay. The name of the dealer is DCH Temecula. The directwebsite is DCHtemecula.com.

My buddy that put his in 1st got it from another E-bay place out of Illnois for $925.00 At one time they had them for low as $856.00 They would offer auctions at different prices. My buddy missed the $856 price so the next available one was $925. Right after he bought his they offered another at $856. It was bascially a sales ploy. If you were in a hurry after missing the cheap one then people they would say, "were out of that one" and offer the next price. Once out of the $925, they would say we have one left at $1025. I missed out on the $856 because I was dragging my feet. Once I did call, the rep said that Dodge changed their pricing. Since I thought he was lying, I called back on (4) different occasions and got the same story so I sort of believed the guy. Anyway, he said that they had been given an additional pricing incentive that they passed onto the customer. I saw my buddy's receipt and I can confirm the price of $925.00 I missed out because I thought I could get it cheaper then $856, so after it all ended I paid 1025 but it was from a different dealer I found on e-bay. And yes, it was in the box, sealed with all paperwork!!!!

The time on install for my buddy solo was two days. He helped me and we did it in like9 hours, but that included stopping to take breaks, and was from the time we pulled out tools, got set-up until wewere done and finished clean-up, tires back on everything.

Overall, it is more tediousversus being too hard to do. You definately want to have parter if available. Again, my buddy did it solo but we did mine together and it was alot easier. For example, installing the brake elbow requires some manipualtion because of space. On mine we both got under the truck and shift the entire exhaust system back at the same time. Result, we were able to move it back far enough that there was a ton of room getting the brake elbow piece inserted between the down pipe and back of turbo. Now getting the down pipe back attached to the brake elbow took some work getting it just right, but once it was started, we tightened the clamp and it pulled everything together just right......

Another thing that took time was my buddy insisted that I read each step of the instructions, he felt that since he suffered, I should suffer...lol.....I kinda of went along since he was helping me. I just started playing dumb and then he would just do it then move onto the next step....lol

On a side note I got quotes for like 7-8 hours of labor at $85/hour. My friend got a quote as low as $290.00 installed. So if you can get a low install price it may be worth it to have installed. I was very apprehesive about doing things myself, because I spent alot of money on a truck that I didn't want to screw with. Then it hit me that the dealer is banking on that type of attitude to fatten their pockets. Since I have been on this website I have the confidence to takcle jobs like this that I would have normally gone to the dealer on. Plus, I know that it was installed correctly and nothing else was screwed up. My buddy is very **** and everything had to be done perfectly, so for me it worked out.Plus he was worried about warranty issues, and if there is a problem, the dealer might try and say it was installed wrong and not cover it. I can tell you that there really is nothing you can install wrong if you follow the directions. Therefore I dont see how they could blame a defect on improper installation (not that they could not anyway)

I hope this info helps...

Old 03-13-2007, 12:58 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Very helpful, thanks! I am going to see what kind of deal I can find. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: Jake Brake Installation Tips???